Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm
Meant to post this here:

Personally and just my opinion, this was probably the best it could ever get with Fish. With one of the best players to ever grace the Big Sky moving on and arguably your third best player in Blevins graduating, it can only go downhill from here correct? Frey is an all big sky guard but hall drew so much attention it helped Frey a lot. Who is going to fill that void? I think next year is going to be a rough one regardless of whether it’s Fish or someone els
No it doesn't necessarily go downhill with Hall moving on. Not saying it will happen here, but when the focal point of a team moves on, especially a scoring star like Hall, sometimes the other guys get better as a team. Could go the other way too, we'll see what happens.
They're not just losing Hall, though. They're also losing 2/3 of their frontcourt rotation.

They're not going to be good next year, I don't think.
Some nice players coming in, though, and we'll perhaps have the ability to play 2 big guys together for ther first time in, like, ever. Certainly may take awhile, but i wouldn't say they'll be bad in league.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:16 pm

I think he's recruited some good local talent and I'd like to see that tough kid from the C school play for the Cats too...kind of reminds me of a shorter version of Laettner with that attitude...so I think he ought to stay. The Cats won 15 games this year and that schedule flat sucked (but it saved the AD a lot of money). If I were the AD, I'd extend him out of loyalty if for nothing else.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 pm

I agree with Cat Grad. Plus the team played really hard this season, and they rarely seemed to give up even if the game was a lost cause. Coach Fish should receive the credit for that. I would extend Coach Fish, assuming he wants to stay.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 pm
I agree with Cat Grad. Plus the team played really hard this season, and they rarely seemed to give up even if the game was a lost cause. Coach Fish should receive the credit for that. I would extend Coach Fish, assuming he wants to stay.
Yes to both of you on this page. I can't say I'm happy with the way we defend; it's mostly atrocious. That will need to improve with the firepower leaving the program. But, another year in the weight room for DK, with Belo also on the floor ( [-o< ) and our interior is suddenly bigger and better than this year. Fish knows offense and has recruited some great players. My opinion is one more contract, for the sake of continuity and hopefully continued growth. If not, you move on, but I think he's grown enough as a coach to merit a continued opportunity here.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Whats his 3 year record? Hmm.....YEAH! Three more years! Three more years! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, he had 15 wins this year, so there is improvement. If not three, then an extension to continue the improvement. =D^

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Getting more charter flights-fewer bus trips. That would be a huge help in recruiting. At least 3 of our road wins were chartered trips.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm
Meant to post this here:

Personally and just my opinion, this was probably the best it could ever get with Fish. With one of the best players to ever grace the Big Sky moving on and arguably your third best player in Blevins graduating, it can only go downhill from here correct? Frey is an all big sky guard but hall drew so much attention it helped Frey a lot. Who is going to fill that void? I think next year is going to be a rough one regardless of whether it’s Fish or someone els
No it doesn't necessarily go downhill with Hall moving on. Not saying it will happen here, but when the focal point of a team moves on, especially a scoring star like Hall, sometimes the other guys get better as a team. Could go the other way too, we'll see what happens.
They're not just losing Hall, though. They're also losing 2/3 of their frontcourt rotation.

They're not going to be good next year, I don't think.
Some nice players coming in, though, and we'll perhaps have the ability to play 2 big guys together for ther first time in, like, ever.
See, I think you've got it completely backwards. They just lost their star forward and the F/C with three years of starting experience who backed him up. They have no more bigger guys who have shown they can play Division I basketball. Heck, they don't even have a guy to back up Kirby, since Neumann was his backup, too. The 'Cats are going to be forced to play more of those four-guard lineups just because their only guys with a proven DI game are Kirby and four guards.

Combine that with the fact that they just lost their biggest and best guard...

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 am

I agree that we will not be playing 2 bigs much. 4 fast and furious guards and one effective Center will be a serious contending team in the Big Sky. Two bigs, and we have one guy getting beat out on the perimeter a lot. Every team, most teams, have also bought into the value of the three and have lots of guards that can shoot, we need to defend them and cant with two bigs. That's my opinion and would like to hear how i'm wrong. I'm sure there are ways around it, like using zone.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:32 am

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/coll ... user-share

I will weigh in. If it was my decision, I would keep Coach Fish.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:33 am

msu_agfan wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 am
I agree that we will not be playing 2 bigs much. 4 fast and furious guards and one effective Center will be a serious contending team in the Big Sky. Two bigs, and we have one guy getting beat out on the perimeter a lot. Every team, most teams, have also bought into the value of the three and have lots of guards that can shoot, we need to defend them and cant with two bigs. That's my opinion and would like to hear how i'm wrong. I'm sure there are ways around it, like using zone.
Did i miss something? Don't we think Belo is coming, that he's considered a "big" by BSC standards, and that he'll play at something resembling the 4 position?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:12 pm

I will put in my two cents. I like the way they played this year after Fish changed things up. There was no quit in this team. I don't think Fish yelled and screamed at them as much which was a change he needed to make. Seemed like Fish came into his own as a Coach. It appears he has some good recruits coming in. I would like to see him get one more extension.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Yeah, you're doomed if you have play four guards. Throw in the towel, its over. They'll end up just like the other four, or FIVE guard starting lineup, you know, the one to the west. They had a miserable season, and ended up....FIRST! Fish will have three years more evperience than whoever is the next Griz coach, and might even win a game against them. Maybe.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:19 pm

I fully believe both Montana schools are on the cusp of becoming mid-major powers athletically. Surprisingly it took an act of God to expedite the facilities for MSU but I believe our administrators will take that collapsed building money and move forward sooner than anticipated.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Here is the question that nobody has addressed head in. Is Fish a good coach? Would/could this group of players had more success under a different coach. If the answer is yes, find a new coach. If the answer is no and it's accepted this is the best MSU can recruit, then extend Fish's contract.

I'm no bball guru, but I think this team was capable of playing better defense and playing consistently through games. That would have won more games. Thus, I look for a new coach.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:35 pm

I am very surprised folks are in favor of keeping him around when he hasn’t finished above 500 in his entire nine year tenure. That’s not good kids. With Hall moving on I don’t think it matters who is coaching it’s going to be a rough year next year and probably after

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:06 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:15 pm
Here is the question that nobody has addressed head in. Is Fish a good coach? Would/could this group of players had more success under a different coach. If the answer is yes, find a new coach. If the answer is no and it's accepted this is the best MSU can recruit, then extend Fish's contract.

I'm no bball guru, but I think this team was capable of playing better defense and playing consistently through games. That would have won more games. Thus, I look for a new coach.
I was pretty hard on him last year and was asking these questions and pointing all this stuff out. After the situation with his daughter I decided to stay away from the basketball thread. This isn’t a criticism of anyone who has, it was just a personal choice for me.

After what he’s been through with son and daughter I’ll shelve any of my criticism. I do have an opinion, but there are things that are more important.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:35 pm
I am very surprised folks are in favor of keeping him around when he hasn’t finished above 500 in his entire nine year tenure. That’s not good kids. With Hall moving on I don’t think it matters who is coaching it’s going to be a rough year next year and probably after
I was under the impression this was his third year. So, I looked up his bio. Started 4-1-14. Still, five years and still sub-500? If his contract is up this year, I think he's bye bye Bri.

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by RMD » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Stays, no question!

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:22 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:35 pm
I was under the impression this was his third year. So, I looked up his bio. Started 4-1-14. Still, five years and still sub-500? If his contract is up this year, I think he's bye bye Bri.
Yep my bad, 5 years. 5 years of sub 500 with one of the best players all time in Big Sky. I’m sorry but I don’t know how anyone would support that.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 pm

This is Bozeman. They've only had three coaches since 1990. Durham 16 years, Huse 8 years. Now Fish.