Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm

I have no idea either way. My gut tells me Costello wants to make a hire. Fish will be gone.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 pm

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:42 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 pm
Yes but then again Brutus hugged Caesar before stabbing him and Judas embraced Jesus leading to things getting quite ugly from there.
I'd say it is slightly better than 50:50 that he is back next year.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 am

I was thinking bout this last night and I thought I would just put down Coach Fish resume so far at MSU in 5 years. I'm sure it is something Costello will look at when he makes his decision. I'm not saying he should be let go, but I though I would put down the resume from the last 5 years. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

1) 1 win against the Griz in 5 years.
2) 1 win in the Big Sky Tournament (3 pt win against the worst Division 1 Basketball team - 5 wins total).
3) 65-92 in 5 years
4) Recruited the Big Sky's all time leading scorer.
5) Best finish in Big Sky Regular Season (6th Place).
6) Beat a Pac 12 School

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:39 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 am
I was thinking bout this last night and I thought I would just put down Coach Fish resume so far at MSU in 5 years. I'm sure it is something Costello will look at when he makes his decision. I'm not saying he should be let go, but I though I would put down the resume from the last 5 years. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

1) 1 win against the Griz in 5 years.
2) 1 win in the Big Sky Tournament (3 pt win against the worst Division 1 Basketball team - 5 wins total).
3) 65-92 in 5 years
4) Recruited the Big Sky's all time leading scorer.
5) Best finish in Big Sky Regular Season (6th Place).
6) Beat a Pac 12 School
7)recruited two Big Sky Freshmen of the year
8)Started with a very poor team-I remember that first year, we did not see a dunk in a game....

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:50 am

Tough to say. I know out of conference schedules are much different each year, and Fish inherited a terrible program, but if the football coach went 5 years without a winning record in any season, he wouldn't be around anymore.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 am

Love Fish as a person, but all things considered, there needs to be a change.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am

I just don't know. We let him go-we probably lose some or all the recruits we have coming in and some of our current players and run the risk of being really terrible for a season, or two, or three. Don't let him go-probably more of the same record wise-but with a stable footing and the possibility of taking the next step. But we could also be really terrible again because we lose the best player in program history and couldn't win with him. Maybe it just is not possible to be good at men's basketball at MSU? We haven't had a coach move on to a bigger job since Ott Romney in the 1920's.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:50 am
Tough to say. I know out of conference schedules are much different each year, and Fish inherited a terrible program, but if the football coach went 5 years without a winning record in any season, he wouldn't be around anymore.
I've been very on-the-fence about this, but here's why I think he should be given another contract. The program was so so far gone when he got here, the first 2 records should be thrown out. His first several teams weakened and frayed as the season went on, but the last couple were continuing to play hard and play well late in the season, this team specifically. His player development has improved in the time he's been here. Lassi and Devin Kirby were both fairly well warm bodies as freshmen, and both developed into players that could contribute this year. Tyler went from arriving here as a pure scorer to a phenomenal all-around player. Harry, the same. Really, to me, this wouldn't be a debate if progress hadn't been interrupted last season. That was bad, and no real reason for it. Also, if he's back some things certainly need to change for us defensively. But I think he's developing as a coach, and we're inching forward as a program. I won't throw a fit if he's not given another contract either, given the "inching forward" part.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am
I just don't know. We let him go-we probably lose some or all the recruits we have coming in and some of our current players and run the risk of being really terrible for a season, or two, or three. Don't let him go-probably more of the same record wise-but with a stable footing and the possibility of taking the next step. But we could also be really terrible again because we lose the best player in program history and couldn't win with him. Maybe it just is not possible to be good at men's basketball at MSU? We haven't had a coach move on to a bigger job since Ott Romney in the 1920's.
I refuse to believe this, but I also was in school when we were pretty good. It CAN happen here!
Last edited by WalkOn79 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 am

I went to school from 89-93..Basketball was king then...games were a blast to go to.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am

I think you can win at Montana State. I just think you will have to be willing to let the program grow, build and make progress to get there. You won’t get there making a coaching change because you didn’t get where you wanted in five years. If so, you’re just trying to catch lightning in a bottle. We all want to be rich ... you can go out and accumulate wealth, inherit it or win the lottery. For most us, accumulating it is our best bet, but it’s not as quick.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am

The other thing Fish and his staff have done is cast a much wider net for recruits than in previous times. A lot of that credit goes to Chris Haslam. He was a Huse assistant and retained by Fish. He got us Harry.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:24 pm

Not one winning season. I don't see improvement. I must admit I am a casual fan. I would ask the bball guys on the forum. Mslcat and Belgrade watch the team with some bball knowledge.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm

allcat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:24 pm
Not one winning season. I don't see improvement. I must admit I am a casual fan. I would ask the bball guys on the forum. Mslcat and Belgrade watch the team with some bball knowledge.
The record they finished with considering the non-conference schedule was pretty good this year. They played a brutal non-conference schedule with an extra buy game which went towards helping with conference travel.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Meant to post this here:

Personally and just my opinion, this was probably the best it could ever get with Fish. With one of the best players to ever grace the Big Sky moving on and arguably your third best player in Blevins graduating, it can only go downhill from here correct? Frey is an all big sky guard but hall drew so much attention it helped Frey a lot. Who is going to fill that void? I think next year is going to be a rough one regardless of whether it’s Fish or someone els

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:42 pm

91catAlum wrote:
That is a good point. The Cats out of conference schedule has been pretty tough.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm
Meant to post this here:

Personally and just my opinion, this was probably the best it could ever get with Fish. With one of the best players to ever grace the Big Sky moving on and arguably your third best player in Blevins graduating, it can only go downhill from here correct? Frey is an all big sky guard but hall drew so much attention it helped Frey a lot. Who is going to fill that void? I think next year is going to be a rough one regardless of whether it’s Fish or someone els
No it doesn't necessarily go downhill with Hall moving on. Not saying it will happen here, but when the focal point of a team moves on, especially a scoring star like Hall, sometimes the other guys get better as a team. Could go the other way too, we'll see what happens.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:39 pm

91catAlum wrote:
This has always been my biggest gripe. Has nothing to do with Fish. It’s the fact that for whatever reason our standards regarding hoops is nothing. Most couldn’t care less. No expectations. Fine with mediocrity. It’s been so frustrating to me forever.

Switch over to football. We fire our winningest coach ever. We make the playoffs and still expect more. We beat the griz like a drum. Still we criticize and expect more. Much more.

And I’m fine with that. Just wouldn’t mind seeing an ounce of the same expectations in hoops. Especially with Missoula dominating the league year in and year out.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm
Meant to post this here:

No it doesn't necessarily go downhill with Hall moving on. Not saying it will happen here, but when the focal point of a team moves on, especially a scoring star like Hall, sometimes the other guys get better as a team. Could go the other way too, we'll see what happens.
They're not just losing Hall, though. They're also losing 2/3 of their frontcourt rotation.

They're not going to be good next year, I don't think.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers