Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4078
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by gtapp » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Many of us (me included) thought this would be coach Fish's last year. Now that the Cats look to be playing much better does that save his job or does he need one or two tourney wins first?


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:15 pm

Probably a little too soon to tell. If I had to guess-I would say he'll be back. We're in 4th place, on track to have a winning league record, and a chance to have an overall winning record. If they tank the next three weeks all bets are off.
Another question: If Costello does bring Fish back how long will the extension be? One-year? Two years? Three???



phantom
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by phantom » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:46 pm

I agree with Belgrade that it’s too soon, as opinion can change quickly. To the second question, if you are Fish, do you accept a 1-year extension or just move on?



SonOfaGriz
New Recruit
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 am

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by SonOfaGriz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 am

Provided they ride their current play, it's likely the Bobcats finish with their best conference season since 2001-02, and the second best in the 21st century. Maybe you guys make different decisions at the administrative level than I've seen with my Vandals (which would not be a bad thing), but it doesn't seem likely for a school to bail on a coach after his best year and a year of relative success.



aucat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 am

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:38 am

I attend both the men and women Cat games. This has been the first year in a while that I can honestly say that I have enjoyed
attending the men's games more than the women. The reason? The men consistently play with more effort and chemistry than
do the women. The guys play their hearts out.

I agree that this is a pretty good season for the men and it could even get better.

I will say, however, that it is simply not acceptable to be dominated by your rival. After all, if you can recruit good players
and have good teams in Missoula, then you should be able to do that here.

That's one thing you have to say about Binford. UM had a legend with Robin Selvig but since he retired MSU has had the upper hand.

Fish needs to compete with UM. We came so close at home this year but just couldn't pull it out.

I doubt we will beat UM in Missoula.



MSmith1968
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by MSmith1968 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:54 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:38 am
I attend both the men and women Cat games. This has been the first year in a while that I can honestly say that I have enjoyed
attending the men's games more than the women. The reason? The men consistently play with more effort and chemistry than
do the women. The guys play their hearts out.

I agree that this is a pretty good season for the men and it could even get better.

I will say, however, that it is simply not acceptable to be dominated by your rival. After all, if you can recruit good players
and have good teams in Missoula, then you should be able to do that here.

That's one thing you have to say about Binford. UM had a legend with Robin Selvig but since he retired MSU has had the upper hand.

Fish needs to compete with UM. We came so close at home this year but just couldn't pull it out.

I doubt we will beat UM in Missoula.
So, If he has a successful season he should be fired because the Griz beat us ](*,)



autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by autocat » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:34 pm

If he gets fired, no complaining for a minimum of 2 years [-X [-X



MSmith1968
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by MSmith1968 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:41 pm

He won't get fired, he will leave regardless if he has a successful season.



Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:36 am

It’s going to be very interesting to see how the cats compete next year without Tyler Hall in my opinion That dude is a very special player one that only comes around every 20 or so years. He is one of the best pure shooters I’ve seen play and I could hardly believe what he was making last night in Missoula.

He requires so much attention from the defense that it opens up the game a lot for guys like Frey and Blevins. I think without Hall, this team is going to have a pretty tough time regardless who is coach. I know Fish and him are pretty tight and Fish is the one who got him to Bozeman so it will be interesting to see if that weighs in on Fish’s decision to either stay or go



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9189
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by wbtfg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:47 pm

I don’t know the structure of the staff, but if fish stays, I think he needs to hire a big time defensive specialist as an assistant. Offensively we are very good, but we are so bad on defense. Reminds me of the football team the last couple years under Ash.



Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by Anacomando » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm

I thought this was his last year, but now I think he will get a 1-2 year extension. The team is better, but can't find a way to win key games. I think the Cats could surprise some people in the Big Sky tourney. I think Fish needs to step-back and look at his own assessment, but I think he stays.



User avatar
BozoneCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2726
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 am

Glad to see that we’re actually improving in February for the first time in 2+ decades, but bottom line to me is that he’s got ZERO Big Sky tournament wins and exactly ONE win against UM. We should demand better.


GO CATS GO!!!

Image
Image

User avatar
The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1666
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by The Butcher » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 am
Glad to see that we’re actually improving in February for the first time in 2+ decades, but bottom line to me is that he’s got ZERO Big Sky tournament wins and exactly ONE win against UM. We should demand better.
And this is with 4 years of having an NBA caliber player... In all likelihood, we will not have this luxury the next 4 years.



Team10
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:54 am

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by Team10 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:56 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 am
Glad to see that we’re actually improving in February for the first time in 2+ decades, but bottom line to me is that he’s got ZERO Big Sky tournament wins and exactly ONE win against UM. We should demand better.
And this is with 4 years of having an NBA caliber player... In all likelihood, we will not have this luxury the next 4 years.
I was going to say nearly the same thing. If this is as good as the team is/gets with an absolutely phenomenal shooter like Tyler Hall in the program, what's going to happen the next couple years without him around. Outside of the amazing play of Hall and Frey is the extremely disappointing in post play over the past decade. There has been zero post play development. Maybe I see things differently, but that has been a huge void in the team that must be filled. If that means a new head coach is needed then by say goodbye, Fish.



phantom
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by phantom » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 am

Team10 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:56 am
The Butcher wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 am
Glad to see that we’re actually improving in February for the first time in 2+ decades, but bottom line to me is that he’s got ZERO Big Sky tournament wins and exactly ONE win against UM. We should demand better.
And this is with 4 years of having an NBA caliber player... In all likelihood, we will not have this luxury the next 4 years.
I was going to say nearly the same thing. If this is as good as the team is/gets with an absolutely phenomenal shooter like Tyler Hall in the program, what's going to happen the next couple years without him around. Outside of the amazing play of Hall and Frey is the extremely disappointing in post play over the past decade. There has been zero post play development. Maybe I see things differently, but that has been a huge void in the team that must be filled. If that means a new head coach is needed then by say goodbye, Fish.
Zero post play development? I think Kirby's improvement says otherwise.



Team10
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:54 am

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by Team10 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am

phantom wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 am
Team10 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:56 am
The Butcher wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 am
Glad to see that we’re actually improving in February for the first time in 2+ decades, but bottom line to me is that he’s got ZERO Big Sky tournament wins and exactly ONE win against UM. We should demand better.
And this is with 4 years of having an NBA caliber player... In all likelihood, we will not have this luxury the next 4 years.
I was going to say nearly the same thing. If this is as good as the team is/gets with an absolutely phenomenal shooter like Tyler Hall in the program, what's going to happen the next couple years without him around. Outside of the amazing play of Hall and Frey is the extremely disappointing in post play over the past decade. There has been zero post play development. Maybe I see things differently, but that has been a huge void in the team that must be filled. If that means a new head coach is needed then by say goodbye, Fish.
Zero post play development? I think Kirby's improvement says otherwise.
If you want to count him, great. So that is 1 of how many?



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9487
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by CelticCat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:36 am

Kirby is the current example though which in this discussion holds the most weight. I agree though our center play has been mediocre for years and years.

We still have some season left to play. But barring a complete collapse, losing the rest of our games including a first round tourney exit, I imagine Fish will be invited back.

I agree with Grizaddict, I’ve thought it myself. What to we do without Tyler Hall.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast @RRCatCast

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by Catlady » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:11 pm

I’m not sure if Fish is the answer or the problem. There’s no doubt that if he does comeback we need a better defensive focus and we also have to treat scholarships like gold! Why are we bringing in kids for one year and wasting scholarships by not playing them? We need to bring in talent and develop them to be productive Cats!

My first thought after Saturday nights game was the team is improving, but a lot of years have gone by since Fish joined the program and the question is has the program seen enough improvement?



User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm the most fatalistic Bobcat fan there is, but I think y'all are selling Coach Fish and his team short this season. We just went up against the greatest assemblage of basketball talent since the Dream Team in an environment rivaling, if not surpassing, Cameron Indoor Stadium, Phog Allen Fieldhouse, or Washington-Grizzly Stadium and we fell by a mere 6 points. We've got a shot to finish third (if Weber's injury woes cause them to falter). If we end up 4th or 5th, which seems likely, we' might get another shot at the griz on the neutral floor in Boise. Of course by then they'll probably have Jamar Akoh, the greatest big man since Wilt Chamberlin, back in their lineup-making the odds long-but you never know. Even the Chicago Bulls, led by Michael Jordan-who is almost as good as Ahmad Rorie-dropped a game or two in their many NBA finals.

This thing isn't over yet. We've got a chance.



phantom
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by phantom » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:23 pm

At this point, if the Bobcats finish where they are in the conference and they decide to let him go, then this was a wasted year and the Administration should have made the move last year. Whether you like it or not, the Grizzlies were heavy, heavy favorites to win the conference and it was a six point game at their place.
If they let him go, he’ll go on to make more money next year as an assistant in a power 5 program, so I won’t be upset for him. The program has shown signs of moving forward in four of the five years. If the standard for the program moving forward is you cannot have a bad year and you have to beat the best team in the conference, then you will constantly looking for the next savior of the program.



Post Reply