MSU vs Weber Stat MBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU vs Weber Stat MBB

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:36 am

3-7-77 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:35 am
3-7-77 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:19 pm
Take an educated estimate and check with BSC Stats tomorrow. :lol:
My guess is 3,000-3,500. Therefore the official attendance should be about 7,500.
Just checked bigskyconf.com, and the official attendance was...…………………7,508! :bow:
Not sure why Weber keeps over inflating their attendance. There couldn’t have been more than 2500 in the seats for the Griz game and they reported 6k+. Why do this?

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 am

I watched this game on Pluto TV and it reminded me of the UM game.

It seems when we play the good teams, for some reason it's almost like they can't miss.

Weber was making tough, contested shots all night. You know they don't shoot like that all the time.

I just can't fault MSU in this game. We played hard and frankly if Weber had played like a "normal" team and not
made so many ridiculous shots, we would have won.

I thought UM shot lights out as well when we played them at home, despite good defensive pressure.

Just keep playing hard guys and good things will happen.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Had the game running on my tablet and towards the end we were down something like 2 pts. Checked a couple of minutes later and we are down by 12. Sure did change fast.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:58 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 am

It seems when we play the good teams, for some reason it's almost like they can't miss.

Weber was making tough, contested shots all night. You know they don't shoot like that all the time.

I just can't fault MSU in this game. We played hard and frankly if Weber had played like a "normal" team and not

I thought UM shot lights out as well when we played them at home, despite good defensive pressure.

This was particularly true during the second half when the weber lead jumped from 2 to 12. During the same time frame, the 'Cats couldn't buy a bucket.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:22 pm

catscat wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:58 pm
aucat wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 am

This was particularly true during the second half when the weber lead jumped from 2 to 12. During the same time frame, the 'Cats couldn't buy a bucket.
No doubt, it's uncanny. And as i mentioned earlier, I'm not that bummed about the loss. The Cats played well. It was going to be asking too much to have them beat Weber at Weber, then UM at UM. Now I'm just really hoping we can get it done on Saturday. If UM shoots their average percentage from all areas, we have a good shot. If we see another game where UM makes every garbage shot they throw up, I'm gonna lose it. :evil:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:05 pm

At some point you are who are are. We are 4th to last in the country in FG % defense. This isn't just teams making contested shots all night. Getting near a player with your hand up doesn't bother most good D1 players. We don't fluster anyone, we don't harass anyone. They are comfortable shooting the ball, whether you get a hand up or not. We don't alter many shots.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:05 pm
At some point you are who are are. We are 4th to last in the country in FG % defense. This isn't just teams making contested shots all night. Getting near a player with your hand up doesn't bother most good D1 players. We don't fluster anyone, we don't harass anyone. They are comfortable shooting the ball, whether you get a hand up or not. We don't alter many shots.
:goodpost:

2024 Resume dominance

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 pm
CelticCat wrote:
:goodpost:
Frey and Neuman altered shots...but the other guys...not so much. I saw lots of back door lobs that were wide open, and lanes to the basket not even contested. I do agree that there was lots of energy from the Cats, but, we are not fundamentally a Defensive team.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 am

CelticCat wrote:
I agree for the most part, and I admit I haven't watched all the games this year but I did watch the last two games and I saw a lot of junk balls going in for the opposing team that were contested. Way beyond the line, hands in the face, last second shot clock, etc.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:02 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 am
CelticCat wrote:
I agree for the most part, and I admit I haven't watched all the games this year but I did watch the last two games and I saw a lot of junk balls going in for the opposing team that were contested. Way beyond the line, hands in the face, last second shot clock, etc.
I will admit that we've ramped it up in the last few games, but overall teams don't have much problem getting balls to drop when they play the Cats.

We win games when we out rebound our opponent, and create turnovers. The only way we really are capable of creating a stop is stealing the ball, and we do an exceptional job of not turning it over offensively - we lead the league in turnover margin.

In particular if we aren't getting steals, we have a hard time stopping anyone.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:02 am
catatac wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I will admit that we've ramped it up in the last few games, but overall teams don't have much problem getting balls to drop when they play the Cats.

We win games when we out rebound our opponent, and create turnovers. The only way we really are capable of creating a stop is stealing the ball, and we do an exceptional job of not turning it over offensively - we lead the league in turnover margin.

Right on. So basically you're saying most teams will shoot well over their average % all over the court? Would be an interesting stat to look at unless someone knows.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:46 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:02 am
catatac wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Right on. So basically you're saying most teams will shoot well over their average % all over the court? Would be an interesting stat to look at unless someone knows.
I remember reading a tweet a few weeks ago from one of the local beat writers that over a stretch of like five games the bobcats were ranked dead last (300th something) in the entire nation for opponents field-goal percentage. During that stretch the opponents were shooting like 58% from the floor