WBB vs. NAU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5877
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

WBB vs. NAU

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Game was kind of always at around 10 points or so with the Cats in the lead. NAU almost hacked their way back in it in the 4th quarter, but once again good free throw shooting kept them at arm's length. Lundberg had 24 despite a lot of bench time due to foul trouble. Had she been able to stay in the margin probably would have been wider. Squires had 21 as well. It's a little scary having freshmen bring the ball up against NAU's relentless press.
Good 10 point win though. Now on the road. Really tough game at Portland State next. PSU is loaded. They're my pick to win it this year.



77matcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2237
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by 77matcat » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks for the summary



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12337
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:05 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:47 pm
Game was kind of always at around 10 points or so with the Cats in the lead. NAU almost hacked their way back in it in the 4th quarter, but once again good free throw shooting kept them at arm's length. Lundberg had 24 despite a lot of bench time due to foul trouble. Had she been able to stay in the margin probably would have been wider. Squires had 21 as well. It's a little scary having freshmen bring the ball up against NAU's relentless press.
Good 10 point win though. Now on the road. Really tough game at Portland State next. PSU is loaded. They're my pick to win it this year.
I thought that, too, but PSU lost to No. Colorado tonight by 16.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
Helcat72
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:47 pm
Location: Helena

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:01 am

PSU is loaded, but against UNC they didn't use their advantage. They played tentative and UNC played like they knew what they were doing! They moved the ball, rebounded, and shot threes. I'm not sure PSU could have used their height and depth in a more disadvantageous way. Bolston disappeared in this game. Two years ago I saw her and West come back from a 20 point deficit against the Cats by playing the two man game (pick and roll) time after time. Their was nothing we could do about it. I figured they would be unbeatable by now (and they almost are being 8-2) but UNC showed why they won the conference last year.
I suppose they will make the desired adjustments and blow the Cats out Thursday because we don't move the ball, rebound or shoot the way UNC does.


2018...Bobcats getting there

Catlady
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 am

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by Catlady » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:30 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:47 pm
Game was kind of always at around 10 points or so with the Cats in the lead. NAU almost hacked their way back in it in the 4th quarter, but once again good free throw shooting kept them at arm's length. Lundberg had 24 despite a lot of bench time due to foul trouble. Had she been able to stay in the margin probably would have been wider. Squires had 21 as well. It's a little scary having freshmen bring the ball up against NAU's relentless press.
Good 10 point win though. Now on the road. Really tough game at Portland State next. PSU is loaded. They're my pick to win it this year.
I’m comfortable with Wright bringing up the ball. Her composure is way beyond her years. I think she’s playing solid. I think we can compete with Portland State, but it’s going to be a tough early season test. They’re big and strong and going to be tough to rebound against. Glad to see Squires shot selection improve. Concerned about Lunberg’s foul woes. Going to be an issue for us all season. The charging fouls can be corrected. We need more production from Smith in the post, she seems frail compared to last season. Defense is something we need to improve. We’ve only played a complete game once this season and that was against Long Beach State. We need to bring our A game on this trip.



aucat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 am

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by aucat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:05 pm

I agree with most of the posts regarding the game, but not all. I think we are weak bringing the ball up.

If I was playing MSU I would double team Clare and place constant full-court pressure on our ball handlers.

I think that Braxton has improved and can make some shots close in. The mystery to me is what has happened to
Madeline Smith. Last year she could really score around the basket, but is missing this year.

I am no "insider" but I wonder what happened to Ashley Van SIckle. Is she still injured?

Our three point shooting, outside of Clare and Oly, is atrocious for the most part.

I finally got around to finding the preseason rankings that place MSU about 7th out of 11 teams.
I think that will turn out to be about right.

I just thought that when we won two straight BSC championships we had moved to the upper echelon--at least the
upper third of the conference. Not the case.

Still, the games are fun to attend. The crowds are pretty dang good in my opinion. So come out and support the Lady Cats



BobcatDel
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:05 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:47 pm
Game was kind of always at around 10 points or so with the Cats in the lead. NAU almost hacked their way back in it in the 4th quarter, but once again good free throw shooting kept them at arm's length. Lundberg had 24 despite a lot of bench time due to foul trouble. Had she been able to stay in the margin probably would have been wider. Squires had 21 as well. It's a little scary having freshmen bring the ball up against NAU's relentless press.
Good 10 point win though. Now on the road. Really tough game at Portland State next. PSU is loaded. They're my pick to win it this year.
I thought that, too, but PSU lost to No. Colorado tonight by 16.
Did you notice what Northern Colorado did to Sac State on Saturday? Led 33 to 0 after Q1. Guess I have never seen something like that to start a conference BB game before.

I know Sac State came back to lose by 13 but Northern Colorado must be hitting on all cylinders right now.

I believe No.Colo. plays Idaho this week. So will be a good preview of the top teams playing against the best three in the conference, No. Colo., PSU and Idaho early in season (in my opinion).



BobcatDel
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:32 pm

aucat wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:05 pm


I am no "insider" but I wonder what happened to Ashley Van SIckle. Is she still injured?

Trying to work her back to speed but it is foot injury and slow to heal. Had a good practice last week....hoping we can see her working into some minutes in next few weeks. But.....



aucat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 am

Re: WBB vs. NAU

Post by aucat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:17 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:32 pm
aucat wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:05 pm


I am no "insider" but I wonder what happened to Ashley Van SIckle. Is she still injured?

Trying to work her back to speed but it is foot injury and slow to heal. Had a good practice last week....hoping we can see her working into some minutes in next few weeks. But.....


Thanks, I hope she gets ready to play soon



Post Reply