What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by grizband » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:12 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:53 pm
Well according to this there's probably not much hope-no matter who our coach is: https://watchstadium.com/news/big-sky-b ... 1-08-2018/
I didn't expect NAU to rank so highly in academics.



joecat
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by joecat » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Replace the head coach. His personal insecurities do not allow for a winning culture. He regularly berates and bullies players and assistant coaches with disgusting name calling and personal attacks to their face and behind their backs. Current players advise recruits to go elsewhere if they have options. Assistant coaches are not bought in, rarely coach and do not stand up for players even when they see wrongdoing by Fish. He emphasizes his job security and salary incentives as motivating factors for team performance rather than player development or team goals. Comparing tactics and team health of the women's program to the men's should make it apparent to the AD that MSU can improve men's basketball by hiring a coach that cares about people and winning.



MSmith1968
New Recruit
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by MSmith1968 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 am

joecat wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm
Replace the head coach. His personal insecurities do not allow for a winning culture. He regularly berates and bullies players and assistant coaches with disgusting name calling and personal attacks to their face and behind their backs. Current players advise recruits to go elsewhere if they have options. Assistant coaches are not bought in, rarely coach and do not stand up for players even when they see wrongdoing by Fish. He emphasizes his job security and salary incentives as motivating factors for team performance rather than player development or team goals. Comparing tactics and team health of the women's program to the men's should make it apparent to the AD that MSU can improve men's basketball by hiring a coach that cares about people and winning.
If this is happening, why doesn't someone report this to the AD and administration?



MSmith1968
New Recruit
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by MSmith1968 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:40 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:04 am
I never said Hall and Frey should be out of the lineup or that Ricketts should be the focus, but he should be a focal point. Ricketts is definitely a better shooter than anyone on the team. Yes, his percentage would go down if you run defenders at him, but it’d still be better than anyone else. He’s a weapon that can free
up space for everyone else on the court.

MSU has two of its three wins with Ricketts starting. He’s only started the last five games.
Unfortunately he cannot stay on the floor long enough to use his weapon. Has to be able to play defense...



joecat
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by joecat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:25 am

MSmith1968 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 am
joecat wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm
Replace the head coach. His personal insecurities do not allow for a winning culture. He regularly berates and bullies players and assistant coaches with disgusting name calling and personal attacks to their face and behind their backs. Current players advise recruits to go elsewhere if they have options. Assistant coaches are not bought in, rarely coach and do not stand up for players even when they see wrongdoing by Fish. He emphasizes his job security and salary incentives as motivating factors for team performance rather than player development or team goals. Comparing tactics and team health of the women's program to the men's should make it apparent to the AD that MSU can improve men's basketball by hiring a coach that cares about people and winning.
If this is happening, why doesn't someone report this to the AD and administration?
Staff fear losing their jobs and players their scholarships or playing time. If options are available they will leave. Coach Jackson left MSU to coach CC? Isaac Bonton left MSU because he didn't like playing basketball anymore and now plays for a Wyoming CC? Luke Schultz plays all his life and leaves because he wants to be a priest? Jared Martin plays all his life and leaves to not play anywhere? If the AD or administration has an exit interview process they know what's going on. Maybe after this year's younger players leave and have success elsewhere it will accelerate the decision making.



phantom
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by phantom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Pretty obvious someone has an axe to grind. It’s interesting that you act to have inside knowledge after starting your account yesterday, but act like the departures you cited were some mystery.
Bobcats played well Thursday. Hopefully they will get a win today and get to 3-1 in conference play.



rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by rosco_cat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:10 pm

joecat wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm
Replace the head coach. His personal insecurities do not allow for a winning culture. He regularly berates and bullies players and assistant coaches with disgusting name calling and personal attacks to their face and behind their backs..
So you have knowledge from actually seeing and personally witnessing all of these things?



User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:31 pm
Coaching: MSU hasn't had a head coach move on to a bigger job since Ott Romney went to BYU in the 1920's. Doesn't look like Fish is going to move up to a bigger job as a head coach either. Compare our coaching record to um's-they've had half-a-dozen or so move up-and DeCuire will too.

Location: Montana is two states away from a major metro area. Bozeman is perceived as rural. MSU is at its heart-a cow college. With Bozeman growing, MSU growing and diversifying, our airport expanding and getting more direct flights (so players can get home and parents can fly up here) maybe that will change a little bit.

Complete abandonment of in-state talent. Phantom will kill me on this, but having 2 or 3 instate scholarship kids on the roster and playing (not just walk on practice players) will help the program. It helps with fan interest which makes the program more exciting and so-on. Having some in state guys on the team who's family can be substitute families to the the out-of-state players helps-it sure does with the football team. Fish finally signed Ricketts. Guess what-he's starting! Ladan Ricketts didn't set the world on fire coming out of high school, but after 2 years in a JC he comes here and starts almost immediately. There were better players than Ricketts in Montana when he came out of high school. Fish signed Caleb Bellach for next season. I predict he will have a big impact on the program. More than a Junior College bench player from out-of-state that Fish has frequently signed-and then found out wasn't very good. MSU has never had a good basketball team that didn't have a strong contingent of in-state players.

Keeping your recruits: I don't know who was a fault-the kid or the coach, but last season Fish lost his two best high school recruits before Christmas time. Isaac Bonton went to a JC in Wyoming, is frequently scoring 30 points a game, and will probably end up at a high major school next season. If we had him this season I think we're a pretty good team. Bonton is one of several recruits that have moved on before they used up their eligibility under Fish. That's a problem.

Facilities: Our arena is fine, but it's not near the best in the league. But it is, what it is. It'd be a lot better if there were more people in it during basketball games, but that support has all but evaporated in the Huse and Fish years.

As long as the football team is doing good-nobody really cares I'm afraid. At MSU we can't seem to be good at both at the same time.
Disagree on the facility. The Brick is really good compared to everyone but Weber, especially with the new scoreboard.


"The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!"

Cliff Hysell, RIP

User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm
Get the ball to your best shooter and encourage him to shoot. Hint hint. That’s Ricketts. He should be pumping up 15-20 per game. He’s 47% from 3, but only 59 attempts. Hall is 36% with 88 attempts. That’s 3 points per game MSU is throwing away by not recognizing who can shoot. Frey has 53 attempts at 30%. Give half those to Ricketts and that’s another 4 to the per game average. MSU throws away seven points due to not knowing who it’s best shooter is. Ricketts is also 11-11 FTs. He’d get to the line more if he shot more.

Big guys rebound, passers assist, shooters score...

It ain’t rocket science. But this is a common problem for basketball coaches at all levels. Ball hogs abound and people actually think 30% shooters are good because they have that ONE good game occasionally.
Dude, have you watched many games? Rickett's has a tough time getting open and can't create his own shot. He can't on the floor due to foul trouble, and oh, by-the-way. he's far from our best shooter.


"The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!"

Cliff Hysell, RIP

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by desmond1957 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:29 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm
Get the ball to your best shooter and encourage him to shoot. Hint hint. That’s Ricketts. He should be pumping up 15-20 per game. He’s 47% from 3, but only 59 attempts. Hall is 36% with 88 attempts. That’s 3 points per game MSU is throwing away by not recognizing who can shoot. Frey has 53 attempts at 30%. Give half those to Ricketts and that’s another 4 to the per game average. MSU throws away seven points due to not knowing who it’s best shooter is. Ricketts is also 11-11 FTs. He’d get to the line more if he shot more.

Big guys rebound, passers assist, shooters score...

It ain’t rocket science. But this is a common problem for basketball coaches at all levels. Ball hogs abound and people actually think 30% shooters are good because they have that ONE good game occasionally.
Dude, have you watched many games? Rickett's has a tough time getting open and can't create his own shot. He can't on the floor due to foul trouble, and oh, by-the-way. he's far from our best shooter.
Based on every home game this year I've got to agree withwalkon's assesment. Rickett's a good addition, but he's not close to either Hall of Frey in shooting ability and doesn't move his feet enough to stay out of foul trouble. I still feel that Lassiter and Kirby are the main reasons we have improved ALONG with FREY being so much more aggresive. Add the fact that Fish has finally decided to let them play w/o so much damned whistling on every play and we just might suprise some people!!



mt jack
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by mt jack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 pm

grizband wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:12 am
I didn't expect NAU to rank so highly in academics.
Nor did I. Things seem to have changed from when I attended.



Mcat
New Recruit
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by Mcat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Need to watch more games. DK doing great. Lassi great last two home games. Ricketts does put the ball on the floor and attack. Watch the broadcasts on away games. Fish wants him to draw attention from defenders to open middle for drivers to basket. He has him in the corners or screening of late. As far as D, two games don't define play. Other starters have also fouled out this season in similar fashion. Yes, Hall and Frey are great, taking most shots and improving shooting % of late. They are benefiting also from D sticking to Ricketts as opposing teams scouting reports identifying him as the cats best 3 point shooter because of his 21 in the country ranking in 3 pt %. Lassi of late has also hit some open 3 shots. DK jump hook is a threat teams I hope will see more of , and this will open up kickouts to open shooters as they double down on DK. Finally, we need to kick the ball up the court more looking for open 3s in transition, and then dump downs into transition cutters to the rim. All that means is higher % shots for are best shooters and open attacks to the rim for our rim rockers!



Post Reply