What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by StatedImprovement » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:18 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:07 pm
A fool is someone who tries to be a fan of one team and is obviously not.
^^^^^^ one way of admitting he blames the ref's after every loss

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by Cataholic » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:33 pm

oedipuss wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am
Anacomando wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:55 pm
The news coverage has always been slanted towards the Griz. It needs to be 50/50. I hate watching something like ESPN anymore; it's just two obnoxious men yelling and spreading gossip about teams and players. It sucks so bad. I really like Skyline Sports for local and state coverage! Colter and his team are really good. Anyways, I think all the road non-conference games are tough to get through. As far as Fish goes, we'll see come Big Sky tourney. If this administration fired Ash, then I have no doubt, barring a huge step forward in the Big Sky tourney, that Fish is gone. Then I'd go find a veteran name to solidify the program to winning and consistency. Kind of like what Cal-Davis did in football. A Dan Hawkins name in college basketball - I can think of some great candidates!

I’m with you on Coach Fish’s future - I think it all comes down to the Cats outcome in Boise and, at a minimum, a post season birth in the CIT or something. As far as getting a veteran coach- it seems close to impossible to keep them for an amount of time necessary to have a lasting impact. I think when the Griz went that route with Kennedy they only got him for a year before he bailed.
Pat Kennedy was a failure at Montana during his two years. He then went to Towson where he also stumbled badly for about 6 or 7 years.

There is still half a season left, but I would be okay with a change. We had the all time Big Sky leader in scoring for 4 years and we cannot run a play to get him an occasional open look? He is always facing contested shots. While you could argue that is good defense, I am leaning toward weak strategy. At a minimum, other guys should be getting wide open looks because of the focus on Tyler.

I think we need a new coach who relates to the youth like Decuire in Missoula. Today’s youth is so much different and a young up and comer could attract players to Bozeman. This is probably Fish’s most promising year yet, but I don’t ever seeing him winning the conference. Heck, we are losing one of the program’s all time greats and have another Big Sky all conference award winner in Frey and we will be lucky to be .500? Short of getting to the conference championship, it is probably time for a change in coaches.