Mens BB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Mens BB

Post by autocat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:11 pm

One game doesn't define a season or a career. This is a chance for the Fish complainers to give him some credit for once. Who was the last Bobcat coach to beat a PAC-12 school?

I don't live in Bozeman, but I'd be going and watching this team if they ever had any home games, Tyler Hall, this guy is going to be the all time leading scorer in BIG CONFERENCE HISTORY in the next 8-10 games!! Go watch this guy before he's gone. I'm hoping he's breaking the record during a home game soon. I read someone here complaining about him not hustling back on defense, are you kidding me? If a guys is dropping 25-30 points a night he might not get back on defense every time, give him a chance to "ice" his shooting elbow :D

Lastly, is the athletic budget that tight that games against Indiana, Arkansas, Washington state are necessary?

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Mens BB

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Fish scheduled those games to avoid long bus trips later in the year.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 am

autocat wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:11 pm
Lastly, is the athletic budget that tight that games against Indiana, Arkansas, Washington state are necessary?
I like that they played those games. I liked them originally because I thought the Cats had a chance to be competitive for a while in them. They weren't, which is disappointing. I didn't think they had a chance to win (against Indiana and Arkansas), I just hoped they could have a stretch of the game where they were able to say they competed with great teams. I think in basketball it's fine to go against teams that are way better. Football is dangerous but basketball gives you a nice barometer on how you stack up--particularly your better individual players. In basketball it's good for recruiting players like Tyler Hall too. Tell those guys they get to play against some of the best players in the country and prove what they can do (and possibly get noticed in the process). And hey, if there's some money in it for the athletic department, that's great too.

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:29 pm

autocat wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:11 pm
One game doesn't define a season or a career. This is a chance for the Fish complainers to give him some credit for once. Who was the last Bobcat coach to beat a PAC-12 school?
Brad Huse, November 19, 2011, they beat Utah 70-64. I remember because it was Krystkowiak's first year there.

Tom Domako

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 pm

That was an out standing outing against Wash St! We shot the ball really well and our bigs rebounded extremely well against Pac-12 level players. Fish said in interviews that he was hoping to kind of re-boot this team (paraphrasing) with the WSU game. WE had a long stretch there with no games and that allowed a lot of practice time to reset this team. If this is the team that that shows up for the Conference we could indeed make some waves this season. While I am cautiously optimist about Fish being able to get this team playing well in January and February, I have to remember that this team has been pretty, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, the last two years or so, in that on some games they play upto their potential and the next game you are not even sure if they have ever played together before. One game will not get me betting the house on the season, but damn I would love it if we could play like we did at WSU consistently during conference!

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 am

mslacat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 pm
That was an out standing outing against Wash St! We shot the ball really well and our bigs rebounded extremely well against Pac-12 level players. Fish said in interviews that he was hoping to kind of re-boot this team (paraphrasing) with the WSU game. WE had a long stretch there with no games and that allowed a lot of practice time to reset this team. If this is the team that that shows up for the Conference we could indeed make some waves this season. While I am cautiously optimist about Fish being able to get this team playing well in January and February, I have to remember that this team has been pretty, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, the last two years or so, in that on some games they play upto their potential and the next game you are not even sure if they have ever played together before. One game will not get me betting the house on the season, but damn I would love it if we could play like we did at WSU consistently during conference!
The thing to keep in mind is that you always look better when you shoot well and it's hard to look good when you don't shoot well. This group had a rough stretch early against a tough schedule and didn't shoot the ball particularly well. I don't think it's just a coincidence that as Harry has played better, the team has played better. I also think Sam being on the floor helps. While he has his limitations, Sam communicates defensively and fills in a lot of gaps that doesn't involve scoring. As rough as the beginning of the season was, if the payoff comes it will be in the second part of the season, in terms of preparation and easier travel as it's been reported that the buy games are allowing the team to save hours off the bus by flying.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:29 am

Great win for Fish and the program. It’s about conference play, beating Montana AND going to the NCAA’s! That might be a stretch, worthy goals!
Let’s start conference play and see how we compete!