MBB vs. Washington State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs. Washington State

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Excellent win for this squad. Shot great. Limited turnovers. Would love to see this win gain them some momentum.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 am

Holy crap, after we dropped 6 in a row i thought we weren't supposed to win another game. Big Win.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:50 am

I am very glad we won the game, but I'm not sure this is as big a deal as first thought. WSU has had a great football season but when you look at their basketball program, the first thing I notice is that they were picked to finish dead last in the PAC 12. Second, I looked at their schedule and they really haven't played anybody. Granted, they did beat Cal Poly and Idaho, but they have lost to Seattle and New Mexico State.

Still, I'll take it at this point especially since it was on the road. This game can't help but boost confidence heading into conference play, but just keep in mind WSU's bottom rank in the PAC 12.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:52 am

aucat wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:50 am
I am very glad we won the game, but I'm not sure this is as big a deal as first thought. WSU has had a great football season but when you look at their basketball program, the first thing I notice is that they were picked to finish dead last in the PAC 12. Second, I looked at their schedule and they really haven't played anybody. Granted, they did beat Cal Poly and Idaho, but they have lost to Seattle and New Mexico State.

Still, I'll take it at this point especially since it was on the road. This game can't help but boost confidence heading into conference play, but just keep in mind WSU's bottom rank in the PAC 12.
Yes but it’s all relative. I’m not all jacked up because I think the cats just beat some power house. We didn’t. But we have been just awful so far this season.

We’re something like 1-5 on the road I believe. Of all our losses only one has been by less than 19 points! A 4 point loss to Colorado state. Even with that “close” loss, on average we lose by about 24 points a game. Take that one away and we’re losing by about 30 on average! That’s staggering.

We haven’t rebounded well. Haven’t done great taking care of the ball. And have shot the ball pretty terribly. So for us to take on an opponent in a major conference and beat them on their home court is a huge positive for this team.

I guess my opinion is that based on what I’ve seen so far, just about ANY win is a good win for these kids. I really hope we can build on this.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:07 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:52 am
aucat wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:50 am

Yes but it’s all relative. I’m not all jacked up because I think the cats just beat some power house. We didn’t. But we have been just awful so far this season.

We’re something like 1-5 on the road I believe. Of all our losses only one has been by less than 19 points! A 4 point loss to Colorado state. Even with that “close” loss, on average we lose by about 24 points a game. Take that one away and we’re losing by about 30 on average! That’s staggering.

We haven’t rebounded well. Haven’t done great taking care of the ball. And have shot the ball pretty terribly. So for us to take on an opponent in a major conference and beat them on their home court is a huge positive for this team.

I guess my opinion is that based on what I’ve seen so far, just about ANY win is a good win for these kids. I really hope we can build on this.
When a bad team from a bad conference beats anyone from the PAC-12 it’s surprising. Wazzu was 6-2, MSU was 2-6.

Awesome that the game Hall broke the MSU career scoring record and BSC 3-point record was a win against a team like Wazzu.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Rich K wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:36 pm
HIghlights:
https://pac-12.com/videos/extended-high ... tana-state
Absolutely LOVED that when Frey is dribble penetrating he is looking for the lob inside to Kirby, two great lobs for layups for easy baskets for DK. Feels like we haven't had that threat in a long time.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:45 am

THEY LOOKED GREAT. I WAS EVEN IMPRESSED WITH NUMBER 0 THE FRESHMAN. THEY BLOCKED OUT AND THEY REBOUNDED WELL. GREAT BALL MOVEMENT AND PENETRATION. HOPEFULLY THEY CAN BUILD ON THIS GOING FORWARD. MY BIGGEST ISSUE WITH MSU BASKETBALL IS THAT THEY AREN'T DOING ENOUGH FOR TYLER IT SEEMS. THEY BETTER DO SOMETHING SPECIAL WHEN HE TAKES THE BIG SKY SCORING LEAD. I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO SEE THEM DO SOMETHING SO THAT KIDS COULD GET AUTOGRAPHS OF TYLER AND THE TEAM. GO CATS!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:54 am

Post game presser with WSU coach Kent:

Kent's comments about Frey led me to think that while their coach whined about his team not being well prepared for this game, I also think Kent's staff didn't do much of a job scouting MSU. Frey didn't just show up yesterday.

Coug fans unimpressed with Kent.
https://washingtonstate.forums.rivals.c ... nks.16721/

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:54 am

Post game presser with WSU coach Kent:

Kent's comments about Frey led me to think that while their coach whined about his team not being well prepared for this game, I also think Kent's staff didn't do much of a job scouting MSU. Frey didn't just show up yesterday.

Coug fans unimpressed with Kent.
https://washingtonstate.forums.rivals.c ... nks.16721/

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:41 am

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am
Rich K wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:36 pm
HIghlights:
https://pac-12.com/videos/extended-high ... tana-state
Absolutely LOVED that when Frey is dribble penetrating he is looking for the lob inside to Kirby, two great lobs for layups for easy baskets for DK. Feels like we haven't had that threat in a long time.
Hall's three just before half. He shoots it like a normal jump shot-except he's 40 feet away. Beautiful.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Shorter recap, they say Harald is from Illinois... but besides that a nice overview, and another look at Tylers buzzer beater.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96