Montana State WBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Montana State WBB

Post by Catlady » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:42 pm

I watched the Long Beach State game and was impressed by the rebounding and scoring of Smith and Braxton. I looked back at rebounding and scoring this season and have to ask, why doesn’t Binford play Smith and Braxton at the same time?

A line up of Squires, Kuderer, Lundberg, Smith and Braxton seems like it would excel on offense and defense. Rebounding wouldn't be a concern and bringing Martell and Wright in off the bench would be monster, not to mention instant offense. I know, it’s hard to imagine, but this line up would dominate the Big Sky. We don’t need a back up at the 5 spot, just go to a smaller line up!

Binford has come a long way in her game management, but why wouldn’t we have our best talent on the floor a majority of the game? Why isn’t she managing our talent and getting the most out of This team? This would also protect Lundberg on defense and help keep her our of foul trouble. We are a very talented team, but assigning positions is old school. I like what I’m seeing out of Wright. She seems to be a great addition. Martell is close to starting to hit her shots and I think by conference play will be a difference maker, but I think we could improve immediately by reallocating our talent. I’m not recommending increasing or decreasing anyone’s playing time....... let’s just get our 5 best players on the floor! Is there a reason why we haven’t tried playing Smith and Braxton together?

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Montana State WBB

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:13 pm

They play at the same time now! I’m pretty sure they’re on the court at the same time.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 pm

She started with Braxton and Smith on the floor early last season. I think the problem might be on the defensive side. One of those two would have to chase a perimeter player and that's not gonna work-especially in the guard heavy Big Sky. That's my theory. Plus they split their time and their fouls now.
Both had really, really good games against LBSU.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Long Beach State may not be best comparison since we out rebounded 52 to 22 and won by 23 points so I would ask "why" would you have wanted them out there at same time. Seems like coach did pretty well dominating them with the team she put on the floor.

Also based on what I am seeing is that Smith and Braxton are not in the top four scorers at this time. Perhaps you were seeing something different.

Many reasons you might not put them on the floor at same time.

- the lineup you suggest may not be the best ball handling team so could be pressed, run on or just not be best against a tight, quick man to man defense.
- they may not be the best offensive or defensive alignment against a smaller, quicker outside shooting team. This is not a silly comment, I saw a team with no player over 5'11" beat a team that started no one under 6'4"....beat them soundly.
- match ups vary with each opponent depending on their personnel alignment and skill on the floor, coaches adjust accordingly....the best lineup is not set in stone but depends on the other team
- last year coach discussed the lineups and there was a clear distinction between the offensive and defensive performance between the two (I really do like how both Madeline and Blair continue to progress their game though! ).
- it isn't always easy to just take out player x and insert player y and end up with this powerful second tier lineup. Coach searches for the chemistry and skill set that matches the best offensive and defensive balance on the court at any time based on game situation.
- this time of the season coaches are trying different people on the floor looking for the best team for situations they will face in conference play and who has "game". New players are like "deer in the headlights" and developing to the speed of the game and new team chemistry.... I think it is really hard to say that someone like Wright shouldn't be on the court when she was a clear PAC 12 recruit until suffering the knee injury....and with just two games played I won't discount her as being someone that should not start.
- we saw Martell emerge through the season last year as a key scorer...with her currently in top 4 scorers how do you set an offensive weapon on the bench just to have a "big" lineup to start

With all that being said, I suspect coach will play some "all bigs" at times this year. I would if I was getting my butt kicked on the boards or I was playing a team that was big and physical. But I would have to manage my rotations to try to keep some fresh legs on the floor.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:25 am

Also playing them separately gives us a fresh inside presence every 3 or 4 minutes. We are not an inside oriented offense like PSU so a smaller lineup with that inside rebounder/defensive player suits coaches type of sysyem.

2024 Resume dominance

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Interesting, but I think all comments are somewhat accurate.
Our lady bobcats have the making of an interesting season. The Long Beach game was a picture of what we could be. The rebounding was tremendous and everyone played at a high level. I’m going to hold out and see what changes Binford makes when we play teams that can rebound. I also want to see how we perform defensively. Looking at the schedule, we play two strong programs this week including TCU. It won’t take long to figure out if we have a team that can compete at a higher level.

This team has the ability to be something special. Scoring isn’t the issue, it’s defense. We turn the ball over at and amazing rate. If we can improve our ball handling and play sound defense, it might be another championship season. But those are two significant ifs!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:02 pm

It’s early. But expected us to be better this season. Didn’t see the game, but hard to win when you have 7 assist and you’re competiton has 22. We need to get better before conference play. I love Martell, but she’s a spot up jump shooter, not a driving PG. I think Playing her out of her comfort zone is impacting her shot.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:02 pm
It’s early. But expected us to be better this season. Didn’t see the game, but hard to win when you have 7 assist and you’re competiton has 22. We need to get better before conference play. I love Martell, but she’s a spot up jump shooter, not a driving PG. I think Playing her out of her comfort zone is impacting her shot.
I agree and I think Binford does too. Halle Wright started at point guard for the first time against TCU. I think this could make a big difference going forward.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:05 pm
Catlady wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:02 pm
I agree and I think Binford does too. Halle Wright started at point guard for the first time against TCU. I think this could make a big difference going forward.
I agree she is more a shooter than a PG from my observation (nothing wrong with that...I like good shooters). But her confidence is growing and she is definitely handling the ball better than last year. She is still only a young sophmore.

Let's remember something...Van Sickle was to be the heir apparent at the PG replacing Caudill to start the season. Wright coming in as a true freshman getting significant playing time at that position behind VanSickle.. Both Van Sickle and Wright were injured to start the season. Wright is now getting some good playing time at PG over the last few games and Van Sickle has had limited time so far. (Guess I am not sure if Andrea is back at speed or still injured?) My point is that if I was coaching I would be working others in different roles in this pre-season to see how they would do if I needed them as my second or even to start in that role during the season if regular starter injured. Not saying I want her to end up there but she may have to play there. The pre-season is all about building the team before conference play especially with new folks in key roles and figuring out what you've got where.

We have a slash and burn driving guard in Oli.....you dont necessarily need a "driving" PG but I always prefer the "Floor General" playmaker assist leader role of a Hannah Caudill as a PG.....who could shoot and score if you happened to forget about her.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 am

Good post and agree wholeheartedly! Wright has been a stabilizing force on the court. She’ll have stronger legs, as she recovers from her knee injury. She’s a better than adequate point guard. Could make an important contribution as the season progresses.

Frustrating that this team is better than they’re performing. Hope they shake this slump and start playing like champions. Have to figure out how to protect Lundberg from foul trouble. We also need to improve on rebounding. Hopefully the turnovers are going to keep improving!

bobcats5766
New Recruit

Post by bobcats5766 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:21 am

I don’t understand how fans who were not at the games become such experts.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:39 pm

bobcats5766 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:21 am
Ummmm...you don't really get the whole internet message board thing-do you? :wink: :lol:

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 pm

bobcats5766 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:21 am
Watch Big Sky is cool!