MBB at Omaha

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB at Omaha

Post by mslacat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Phantom

In my opinion Coaches are rehired for two factors Perception and reality. Cold hard reality is what is there over all record is it a winning record and what is their record the past two years is it winning? Has Championship runs been made or accomplished. When reality can not be satisfied that is when perception comes into play. If a coach has a losing record after 2 years, we say he has not had a chance yet. If he has had a run of players getting injured we say it is a bad run of luck. If a coach still in the middle of the Conference pack after 4 years, but every year has gotten better better, we say he is building. If we see a lot of very promising younger talent coming up through the ranks we can get excited about the future. On and On. This is where Fish is at after 5 years. As I said he needs to prove himself this year in conference (in truth preseason means nothing Conference counts) If he does that his fate is in his hands. Another year like last year, and I think he is going to need to use all of his schmoozing skills and then some to try to create the perception that the Bobcat men's basketball program is on the rise.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski

The record at Army and the first three years at Duke would not indicate any resemblance of a coach one would hire today based upon some of the posts in this thread. Fascinating reading what many coaches experienced early in their careers.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm

The record at Army and the first three years at Duke would not indicate any resemblance of a coach one would hire today based upon some of the posts in this thread. Fascinating reading what many coaches experienced early in their careers.
Oh I agree coaches are not given a lot of time to win. When we interviewed and hired Fish it was clear the powers that be were going for a 1st time head coach and I said at the time we needed to give the guy time to develop, there was going to be a lot of learning on the job. Is five years enough to evaluate a 1st time coach. If you let him go does ne become the next Bill Belichick, who flames out in his first job only to become a all time great coach. I though Wayne Tinkle had a very rough first 2-3 years but he learned and became a great coach for the Griz. Again though the question is how much patience do the fans have, the athletic director have and Waded Cruzado have. If they renew, they need something to hang there hat on, and to a lot of folks that is a big risk.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:31 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 pm
Cat Grad wrote:

Oh I agree coaches are not given a lot of time to win. When we interviewed and hired Fish it was clear the powers that be were going for a 1st time head coach and I said at the time we needed to give the guy time to develop, there was going to be a lot of learning on the job. Is five years enough to evaluate a 1st time coach. If you let him go does ne become the next Bill Belichick, who flames out in his first job only to become a all time great coach. I though Wayne Tinkle had a very rough first 2-3 years but he learned and became a great coach for the Griz. Again though the question is how much patience do the fans have, the athletic director have and Waded Cruzado have. If they renew, they need something to hang there hat on, and to a lot of folks that is a big risk.
And.....if they decide to renew his contract, wouldn't they have to give Fish more than a 1-yr extension if they expect any success recruiting? A lot is riding on this season. Replacing him with another first time head coach is just the "same ol" expecting different results. Frankly, I wish Fish and this team the very best this season!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:46 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 pm
Cat Grad wrote:

When I was younger, I thought Roger Craft was the greatest coach in the world! I could not stand that UCLA coach because in my eyes Craft knew everything. But then after I got older, I began looking at facts and this type of data:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/co ... aft-1.html