MSU vs Utah State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: MSU vs Utah State

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am
I like "The Barn" too....but a lot of people in the Twin Cities complain that it hurts the Gophers in recruiting, and a lot of folks would like to see it replaced. Also, I've seen the crowd in Bozeman get going...but it was back in 1998....the last time they were good! The fieldhouse seems like one of the better arenas in the Big Sky, and I'm pretty sure if the arena was the only recruiting tool we'd be towards to top of the Big Sky. I just think there are a multitude of problems...one being apathy.

Well for one it doesn't really look or feel like a basketball arena. It also doesn'r sound like one. It is so expansive that the sound never seems to get to that level you hear at other true basketball arenas. It feels like someone placed a court in the middle of a giant rodeo arena. Oh wait, that is just what they did! The crowd never really gets going in Bozeman. Now maybe thats due to the lack of winning or a fun product on the floor. I love going to "The Barn" on the U of Minnesota campus. Very old arena. Doesn't hold that many but the fans are right on top of the court, it is so great to see a game there. Crazy atmosphere.
They were good in 2002!

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:06 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
I like "The Barn" too....but a lot of people in the Twin Cities complain that it hurts the Gophers in recruiting, and a lot of folks would like to see it replaced. Also, I've seen the crowd in Bozeman get going...but it was back in 1998....the last time they were good! The fieldhouse seems like one of the better arenas in the Big Sky, and I'm pretty sure if the arena was the only recruiting tool we'd be towards to top of the Big Sky. I just think there are a multitude of problems...one being apathy.

Well for one it doesn't really look or feel like a basketball arena. It also doesn'r sound like one. It is so expansive that the sound never seems to get to that level you hear at other true basketball arenas. It feels like someone placed a court in the middle of a giant rodeo arena. Oh wait, that is just what they did! The crowd never really gets going in Bozeman. Now maybe thats due to the lack of winning or a fun product on the floor. I love going to "The Barn" on the U of Minnesota campus. Very old arena. Doesn't hold that many but the fans are right on top of the court, it is so great to see a game there. Crazy atmosphere.
They were good in 2002!
Who was? As a Minnesota guy who’s a fan of both the gophs and the cats....and follows their hoops I thought closely......WHO was good in 2002?!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:36 pm

The Fieldhouse is no way shape or form should keep us from being a decent Big Sky team. It's not that bad and like others said there are much worse arenas in the country and even in the conference, from programs that have better teams than we have had.

I don't know what the answer is. You can point to a rural place like Bozeman that is somewhat hard to travel to as a reason, but South Dakota State blows that away.

I really think it comes down to one thing unfortunately - coaching. You can take an average player, on an team with average talent, and they can win if they are properly coached, buy into the system and play hard. No not a conference championship necessarily but a top 5 or 6 conference team. I feel like we get some athletes but they never get better, it's like they peak the day they step on campus and only get worse.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Domako wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 am
I remember the fieldhouse being plenty loud in the 80's. Just remember that people make noise, not the building.
Get more people, get more noise! :roll:
I was just thinking this same thing. My wife and I were two of those noise-makers. It was not nearly as nice as it is now, but it was a rocking basketball venue with 7,000 people in there. My wife started reluctantly going to games as the noise hurt her ears!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:44 pm

As much as I prefer the bucolic, less populated areas, I recognize that the best basketball talent is produced in metropolitan areas. Most of those kids consider us to be bumpkins and prefer the more dynamic life of a city. I have been to games in every arena in the big sky and do not believe it is the arena that is holding us back. We have lots of season ticket holders who do not bother to show up at the games. Maybe its time to purge the non attenders from the roles and let some real fans have the opportunity. Everyone likes to play in front of enthusiastic crowds.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:48 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:06 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

They were good in 2002!
Who was? As a Minnesota guy who’s a fan of both the gophs and the cats....and follows their hoops I thought closely......WHO was good in 2002?!
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2002.html

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:48 pm
That is great stuff. I've always wanted to see somewhat unbiased breakdown like that. I wish it was more detailed and extensive. MSU ranks pretty well in some important categories like atmosphere and support, but we don't rank ahead of our rivals in any category which isn't surprising. The difference between Bozeman and Missoula is probably closing, but there is a difference. Missoula is just slightly more urban, a little closer to the Pac-12 (the DeCuire era has had two huge Pac-12 transfers help that program), they have the better arena, and the Jud Heathcoate coaching tree. Combine all that and the Bobcats lose.

But...we shouldn't suck as bad as we have.