MSU vs Utah State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs Utah State

Post by gtapp » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am
Cledus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:36 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 am
Nothing like an opening night 30 point loss to fire up the fan base...

Ugh.
Picked up right where we left off last year.
yep. and from what I can tell, even many big time msu athletic supporters are just indifferent. many are beyond the point of even being upset because it's all we've known forever. msu athletics does a great job in so many areas, however it's very clear they just aren't concerned with the direction of mens hoops. we've been awful forever and to make it sting a little worse the griz have been dominant forever.

until someone on the department or the prez says we won't settle for this crap anymore....what's the point in being upset as fans? we are what we are. we're coached how we're coached.

:(
I think Leon Costello cares and he and Cruzado both know that the fund raising effort is tied directly to winning programs; 1 being football and 2 being mens basketball. They have made many improvements to the field house in the last few years to try and make the arena look like a basketball arena (which it is not). The question that has been asked every year is CAN MSU win in mens basketball. It doesn't seem like it but then the women's team seems to do well (maybe thats apples and oranges). Certainly the facility does not help but that is not changing anytime soon. SO what can be done? Can we get a qualified coach? What would it cost us? Why would they want to be at MSU? Can we recruit barketball talent to Bozeman. Hell, maybe they should just drop men's basketball and add a different men's sport (wrestling for example). I don't know but it sure seems hopeless at times.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:41 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am
Cledus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:36 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 am
Nothing like an opening night 30 point loss to fire up the fan base...

Ugh.
Picked up right where we left off last year.
yep. and from what I can tell, even many big time msu athletic supporters are just indifferent. many are beyond the point of even being upset because it's all we've known forever. msu athletics does a great job in so many areas, however it's very clear they just aren't concerned with the direction of mens hoops. we've been awful forever and to make it sting a little worse the griz have been dominant forever.

until someone on the department or the prez says we won't settle for this crap anymore....what's the point in being upset as fans? we are what we are. we're coached how we're coached.

:(
I think Leon Costello cares and he and Cruzado both know that the fund raising effort is tied directly to winning programs; 1 being football and 2 being mens basketball. They have made many improvements to the field house in the last few years to try and make the arena look like a basketball arena (which it is not). The question that has been asked every year is CAN MSU win in mens basketball. It doesn't seem like it but then the women's team seems to do well (maybe thats apples and oranges). Certainly the facility does not help but that is not changing anytime soon. SO what can be done? Can we get a qualified coach? What would it cost us? Why would they want to be at MSU? Can we recruit barketball talent to Bozeman. Hell, maybe they should just drop men's basketball and add a different men's sport (wrestling for example). I don't know but it sure seems hopeless at times.
If they can recruit talented basketball players to Missoula, they can do the same in Bozeman. The Griz obviously have a winning program to pitch to recruits, along with a WAY better basketball arena (compared to MSU)..... But MSU should be able to build the same program that UM has built over the years, unfortunately it is going to take time and will not happen over night.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:44 pm

I remember when Durham was there..... thinking there is absolutely no way in hell it can get worse than this.... Then Huse came along, and it was way worse...… Then I remember thinking, there is no way it can get worse then this...…….. Then Fish came along...……………………….. It has been a pretty rough past 10 years or so for the Cats.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:53 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:44 pm
I remember when Durham was there..... thinking there is absolutely no way in hell it can get worse than this.... Then Huse came along, and it was way worse...… Then I remember thinking, there is no way it can get worse then this...…….. Then Fish came along...……………………….. It has been a pretty rough past 10 years or so for the Cats.
Seems like recruiting has been better under Fish, but somehow it hasn't translated to wins.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:55 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm
MSU-Billings, a D-II school, nearly pulled off the upset over UNLV this past week. Even though they didn't win, I think that demonstrates we shouldn't feel as if our situation is hopeless. We've sucked for so many years it just feels normal now.

MSU-B may not have any huge upsets or program-defining wins this season, but I think their performance against UNLV clearly demonstrates the effect a good coach can have.

I've always found the "lack of talent" excuse to be lazy and nothing more than a canard. Lack of talent may be a valid reason for not having a championship team, but it doesn't really address why any team can't get to .500. It doesn't take talent to show up and give 100%. Brian Fish is a sorry sack of sh!t. I consider myself moderately knowledgeable about basketball, but far from an expert or junkie. The question I have for the junkies here is: knowing what you know about Fish, if you were a player would you want to play for him?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:19 pm
Empty stands and a blowout loss at home tells you everything you need to know about the state of men’s hoops right now. I thought it couldn’t get much worse than Huse. It did...
Yup. For those upset about the discussion/complaining about the football team, clearly the complacency about the men's basketball team is a FAR worse problem. People complain about the football team because they still care so much. Nobody - outside of a few diehards - cares at all about the basketball team any more. This team is just plain bad, they aren't fun to watch, and going into games like this, no one thinks we even have a chance to win. Tough to entice people to come watch that. The facility isn't helping. It's far from the worst place in the Big Sky, but I don't think we want to use that as our benchmark if we want to see MSU develop a consistent winning program, because outside of Weber and UM, the facilities in the BSC are even worse than their football counterparts. In football, MSU is a state that produces a lot of college-level talent that wants to come play close to home. Basketball, not so much. So, your facilities and such need to be even better if you want to convince some kid from half a country away to come play in Bozeman. Right now, the only kids we get regularly are kids that don't have a lot of other options. I've felt for years that we should have stopped renovating the fieldhouse and start saving towards a new arena, but clearly that isn't happening, so I don't know where to go with that. It's frustrating, though. Living in Boise, I should be excited that the Big Sky tournament is coming to town this year, and right now I don't even have much faith that MSU will so much as qualify, and if they somehow do make it, I'm pretty sure they'll lose their opening game in some painful fashion, because that's what they do. Ugh. :shrug:

GO CATS GO!!!

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:09 pm

I keep seeing over and over, and have asked this before without a real answer: What is it about the fieldhouse that's such a detriment to basketball? I mean, there are teams that play in less-than-high school type gyms who have more success in basketball than MSU. Sorry, don't buy it until someone provides a good explanation. MSU hasn't been able to consistently win at home or in other sites' locations for 20 years, a new gym isn't going to help that. Are people saying it affects recruiting, or what?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Is there a chance Durham would return? He at least had a competitive team once every 5 to 6 years.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:55 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:09 pm
I keep seeing over and over, and have asked this before without a real answer: What is it about the fieldhouse that's such a detriment to basketball? I mean, there are teams that play in less-than-high school type gyms who have more success in basketball than MSU. Sorry, don't buy it until someone provides a good explanation. MSU hasn't been able to consistently win at home or in other sites' locations for 20 years, a new gym isn't going to help that. Are people saying it affects recruiting, or what?
Well for one it doesn't really look or feel like a basketball arena. It also doesn'r sound like one. It is so expansive that the sound never seems to get to that level you hear at other true basketball arenas. It feels like someone placed a court in the middle of a giant rodeo arena. Oh wait, that is just what they did! The crowd never really gets going in Bozeman. Now maybe thats due to the lack of winning or a fun product on the floor. I love going to "The Barn" on the U of Minnesota campus. Very old arena. Doesn't hold that many but the fans are right on top of the court, it is so great to see a game there. Crazy atmosphere.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:00 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:55 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Well for one it doesn't really look or feel like a basketball arena. It also doesn'r sound like one. It is so expansive that the sound never seems to get to that level you hear at other true basketball arenas. It feels like someone placed a court in the middle of a giant rodeo arena. Oh wait, that is just what they did! The crowd never really gets going in Bozeman. Now maybe thats due to the lack of winning or a fun product on the floor. I love going to "The Barn" on the U of Minnesota campus. Very old arena. Doesn't hold that many but the fans are right on top of the court, it is so great to see a game there. Crazy atmosphere.
That wasn't really a problem in the 80s.

Same arena.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:00 pm
gtapp wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Same arena.
I agree. the field house certainly isn't elite by any stretch...but even in the 90's we could muster a pretty decent crowd because of the product. we need a coach for starters. one who can recruit. then, we need teams to at least be competitive in the beginning. anything to give us a sliver of hope. after a couple seasons we need to have a team contending for conference championships just like the griz do year in and year out. if we EVER get to that point....the fans will come. then and only then should we even discuss new facilities.

i'm a durham homer anyway and always thought he got a raw deal. but even with his coaching "deficiencies" that some thought he had.....he looks like flipping coach K at this point in time! it's as bad as I've seen it.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 pm
Living in Boise, I should be excited that the Big Sky tournament is coming to town this year, and right now I don't even have much faith that MSU will so much as qualify, and if they somehow do make it, I'm pretty sure they'll lose their opening game in some painful fashion, because that's what they do. Ugh. :shrug:
On the positive (maybe?) side everyone qualifies for the tourney now so there is no real question about you getting to watch them lose their opening game in some painful fashion. ](*,)

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:29 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 pm
Living in Boise, I should be excited that the Big Sky tournament is coming to town this year, and right now I don't even have much faith that MSU will so much as qualify, and if they somehow do make it, I'm pretty sure they'll lose their opening game in some painful fashion, because that's what they do. Ugh. :shrug:
On the positive (maybe?) side everyone qualifies for the tourney now so there is no real question about you getting to watch them lose their opening game in some painful fashion. ](*,)
Duh. Knew that, but somehow forgot. Selective amnesia, likely. Self preservation and all. :lol:

GO CATS GO!!!

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I will disagree with the rest and state I didn't think we looked that bad last night. Yes they kicked our ass, but we showed promise of an inside and outside game. I agree and think the point needs to go back to the lefty. I don't think the new point or even Lassi is a true point guard that will be competitive in this league. Now I will say Lassi has surprised me with some energy and aggression, but he is still undersized and won't be a real threat ever. I think if fish can get the livingston kid to settle down he will be alright, but he looked like a deer in the headlights when he is on the court. He needs to relax a little. Also give Tyler the next week off to let that ankle heal ALL THE WAY!!!! If you want him to be at 75% again for the year then keep playing him and maybe he hurts it worse and then Fish may as well pack his bags. Kirby has made strides and had a great block in the first half and looked like he was ready to go to work. Also the big guy even though has horrible free throw form still gets it done. He isn't a game changer, but makes his presence known on the court. I think we are slightly better than last year due to having an inside presence and I think if Kirby or the big guy was playing last year we go further, but they weren't. Lets give them some conference games before we burn Fish at the stake. If he doesn't win a game in the tourney he will be gone and I am sure he knows it. Then we start trying to bring the california coach back to Mt.

GO CATS!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Not that bad?! We lost by 30, at home, against a mediocre team! If these are our expectations, no wonder this program has devolved to its current state.

GO CATS GO!!!

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 am

91catAlum wrote:
gtapp wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Same arena.
I remember the fieldhouse being plenty loud in the 80's. Just remember that people make noise, not the building.
Get more people, get more noise! :roll:

Tom Domako

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am

Domako wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 am
91catAlum wrote:
gtapp wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Same arena.
I remember the fieldhouse being plenty loud in the 80's. Just remember that people make noise, not the building.
and there's only one way to get more people....

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am
Domako wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
gtapp wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Same arena.
Have Sunday night games??? ](*,)

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:37 am

Cats15 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am
Domako wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
gtapp wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Same arena.
Have Sunday night games??? ](*,)
:lol: [-X

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am

I like "The Barn" too....but a lot of people in the Twin Cities complain that it hurts the Gophers in recruiting, and a lot of folks would like to see it replaced. Also, I've seen the crowd in Bozeman get going...but it was back in 1998....the last time they were good! The fieldhouse seems like one of the better arenas in the Big Sky, and I'm pretty sure if the arena was the only recruiting tool we'd be towards to top of the Big Sky. I just think there are a multitude of problems...one being apathy.

[/quote]