Men's 2019 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Men's 2019 Basketball Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 am

Bobcat have offered 6-5 (or 6-6 depending on where you read) g/f Marcus Domask of Waupun High school in Waupun WI. As a junior last season he averaged 23 points 7 rebounds & 5 assists as a junior earning Player of the Year honors in the East Central Conference. Domask is ranked the #3 2019 prospect in Wisconson. He has a reputation as a potent scorer who is very tough to defend. He is a very good three point shooter, that Fish loves, but has a very good mid range and post-up game. 12 months ago he he was listed at 6-3 and he now is listed as tall as 6-6. This has lead to quite a few coaches showing a lot more of interest this summer. He has over nine offers including Idaho State, American, Bucknell and Air Force. He has already set up three official visits to Western Michigan, Northern Kentucky and Wright State which he will take in the next few weeks. He wants to commit before the start of this year's high school basketball season.

PrepHoop Wisconsin <Las Vegas Day 2 Standouts> 7-27-18
Marcus Domask – 2019 – SF – Ray Allen Select

Domask has kicked things up in the month of July and that was the case yet again versus Grand Rapids Storm. The Waupun standout was dominant offensively yet again and in a variety of ways. When Domask has the ball, there’s just no chinks in his armor. Despite not having ideal athleticism, Domask has the rest of the tools. The 6-foot-5 swing man picked Grand Rapids Storm apart. He wasn’t flashy. Just took what the defense gave him and then exploited it.
PrepHoop Wisconsin <NY2LA Summer Jam Recap: Day 1> 7-18-18
TOP PERFORMER

Domask came out firing in a loss to REACH Legends. The 6-foot-5 small forward was draining shots from all three levels and looked really impressive against some solid athletes. Domask scored a game-high 22 points, once again taking advantage of just about every possible mismatch. You can go big, you can go small — either way — Domask will find ways to get the ball in the basket.
PrepHoop Wisconsin <NY2LA Next Level Invitational Recap: Day 3> 7-13-18

One of the most cerebral players in the Midwest, Domask always has an understanding of what the defense is trying to do with him and then he exploits it. The Michigan Playmakers threw a number of different defenders at him during Friday’s 17U NY2LA Association semifinals, but to no avail. Domask was generating and scoring on looks from all three levels. He took smaller defenders on the interior, using his advanced post skill set to score at the rim. Against bigger defenders, Domask made them uncomfortable by slashing from the perimeter or facing up from the high post. If Domask didn’t like his matchup, he’s smart and skilled enough at the little things to set good, hard screens on or away from the ball to get a matchup he could take advantage of. Domask scored 20 points in the semifinals. In a low-scoring title game against Illinois Irish, Domask was outstanding defensively, forcing opponents into tough shots by walling up around the rim.
This video is from last summer

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 pm

Bobcat coach Brian Fish offered another prospect this afternoon in 6-3 combo guard Henry Tanksley of Central Wyoming JC. I believe as a high school player out of Parkview Christian HS in Lincoln Nebraska he played he was the starting point guard for his junior and senior season, but at Central Wyoming he primarily played the shooting guard spot. This summer at the JC recruiting Jamborees he again played point guard much of the time. I am not sure for what position the Bobcats are recruiting him for Last year for Central Wyoming he averaged 12 points 2.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists a game while shooting 47.2% from the field and 37.7% from three point range. In his senior year at Parkview HS he averaged 19.8 points, 12 rebounds and three 3 per game. Montana State is his first offer.

Video but a year old.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:58 pm

As I type this we have a list of 18 recruits on my list of recruits the Bobcats are rumored to be interested in. I have another list of about 15ish more players that I have on very good sources the Bobcats were actively scouting this July, but due to the Danny Sprinkle Rule (see below for a refresher on the rule) I cannot post them yet. Two of the players offered in the past day were on that list. That makes a sample size of about 35 players. Here is what I can tell you from just looking over the list. Fish and his staff still love Arizona. Fish has had great success in finding players in Arizona and he has deep ties to that state from when he was an assistant. Bring Silvey Dominguez on board, who also has deep ties to the state, has done nothing but strengthened that connection. That said it appears the coaches delving into a lot of eastern/southern schools like Georgia, & Arkansas. One area though we do not seem to be recruiting very hard is the northwest in particular Washington and Oregon this year. Typically a place Fish like to recruit. We seem to be recruiting Southern California much harder this year. Makes me nerviness. UM, MSU & EWU have not had good luck keeping Southern California's on their roster. They get home/weather sick real quick and tend to transfer. As far as players types, 95% of all players that we seem to be recruiting fall in to two categories #1 the 6-4 to 6-6 wing. This is Fish's staple he signed 4 this past year and most like will sign multiple this year. #2 Athletic Big men. It is funny though, my list are about 50/50 6-5 vrs bigs but it is the wings getting the offers. As far as point guards go, and I thought he would for sure be after one, there are only three on the list. Ade Adebayo was the first player in the 2019 class to get an offer (12 months ago), who knows if we are still active with him. Henry Tanksley who was offered yesterday, but he is more of a shooting guard than point and a third point guard, I am not sure is even D-1.

1 caveat to my observation. The majority of my connections are with the high school/AAU scene. I do not have as good of picture as to what the coaches are looking for in the JC ranks but I am guessing it mirrors the 6-5 wing/big man prospect of the high school ranks.

Random rumors
Pretty sure we offered a 6-10ish big from Europe (not as good as Bigby better than Fisher ...... I hope)
We are hot after an Aussie big also
I think the coaches are cooling on Allfrey (now watch them offer him just to make me look bad)

My "Danny Sprinkle Rule": <for those who do not remember>
Back when Sprinkle was an assistant under Huse, I had a friend who son was on the Bobcat Basketball team. Every so often I would get a phone call or email from him and he would give me the whats up with the Bobcat program. One fall day he told me about this great high school point guard who came in for a recruiting trip and while there committed to the Bobcats. He was said to be better than any PG we had on the team at that time. I posted on the BobcatNation that the Bobcats got a commit from this guard. Well later that night (about 10:30 to be exact) I got a personal call from Danny. This was the story, the kid who came in was a dual sport athlete, he was considered to be a better football QB prospect than a basketball prospect, BUT he loved Basketball. The entire recruiting world assumed he would play football. Danny talked the kid into taking a visit to Montana State for basketball and I believe paired him up with Nick Dissly as his Bobcat host. The kid looooved his trip and playing basketball with D-1 calibure players. He did commit to the Bobcats, with the one exception, if one of two football schools were to offer he might take those offers. Coaches were tickled with that condition/risk. When I posted on Bobcatnation that he had visited, let alone committed there was a little bit of a blow up in the west coast D-1 basketball recruiting world because no one thought he was interested in playing basketball. The kid's phone started ringing off the hook from schools trying to recruit the kid. As I member it Eastern Washington was especially obnoxious in their efforts. Now I do not want to hurt the program so Danny and I came to an understanding. I do not publish names until I see them elsewhere on the net or in newspapers (remember those), unless they are Griz recruits. Danny even went as far to say when in doubt call him.

BTW: The recruit above did get a football scholarship offer from one of his dream schools, spent two year with them they insisted he change position to WR, he eventually left. Was a D-2 basketball All American. GO WHERE YOU HEART IS, you will suck if you try to fake it!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 pm

I heard tonight that the Bobcats have offered 6-4 point guard Dexter Akanno from Valencia CA. He played his SR year in 2017-18 at Valencia HS but as I understand it plans to take a prep year Blair Academy Prep for 2018-19. From what I have read he is very much a point guard but plays the shooting guard and small forward spots also. He is an outstanding athlete with a 40" vertical and he has length (6-9 wing span) coach fish covets and a muscular 195lbs. I bleieve he averaged about 18 points 6 rebounds 5 assists a game last season. He also has a reputation as being one a very good defecive player. Dexter was one of 6 California players between the ages of 12-18 to be selected by NBA coach/former player Steve Nash for a one on one training session this past year. Currently holds an offer from Marquette, Northeastern as well as MSU and getting interest from Kansas State, Nebraska, VA Tech and Texas. The Bobcats seem to be recruiting against schools a little bit bigger than they they normally do, so the thought does cross my mind if they want him and he talented enough to play for Marqutte, Kansas State and/or Texas, why not use their currently open scholarship and offer him for 2018-19 and he can skip the expense of a prep school year.

BTI Basketball 7-21-18
6’4 2019 PG Dexter Akanno is the QB of the high scoring BTI Select offense that usually has 5-6 guys in double figures. After Thursday nights matchup vs. Niko Manion & West Coast Elite Dexter is getting the reputation of being one the best defensive guards in the country.

Prephoops So. Cal <Recruiting Report: Dexter Akanno (2019)>4/18/18
......Akanno’s versatile game, complete with an explosive first step, second-level blow by speed and court vision allows him to play either guard spot offensively, while his strong frame, coupled with length and good lateral speed, lends to his ability to defend both guard spots.
Prephoops So. Cal <Francisco’s Finest: Southern California Tip Off (Biggest Sleepers)>4/15/18
Dexter Akanno (Blair Academy/NJ) Club Team: BTI Select

2019, SG/WF, 6-foot-4, 185 pounds

Joel’s Take: Akanno is a post grade who will be heading to Blair Academy in the Fall. The athletic versatile guard has his fingertips all over the game. His motor allows him to pursue rebounds over taller opponents and he is a fearless attacker in transition. Defensively, he can guard multiple positions due to his motor and instincts.
Prephoops So. Cal <Pangos Sweet Sixteen: Francisco’s Finest>7/17/17
Dexter Akanno (Valencia/BTI Select)

The 6-foot-3 multi-positional performer impacts the game with his length, athleticism, and improved scoring ability. Continued improvement in the areas ball handling and consistent jump shooting will be the key for his college potential.
Video from summer of 2017

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:14 pm

I was told earlier this week and again today that the Bobcat coaches had 6-11 (often listed at 7-0) Usman Haruna a transfer from (D-1) East Carolina University on campus recently for an official visit. Last night I heard a rumor he was close to signing and I have heard similar rumbling this afternoon. I have been sniffing around to see if anything else happened. About two hours ago Haruna tweeted the following.

It was quickly retweeted by Assistant coach Chris Haslam and our new Basketball operation's guy, but no official announcement from Haruna or any other sources. I think we have a new Bobcat who will at least be available for practice this year.

Usman Haruna played his junior year for Eastern Carolina , this past year, averaging 1 point 2.3 rebounds a game in about 8.7 minutes per game. The previous two year he played for Bismarck State JC were he averaged 10 points 11 rebounds 2 blocks a about 20 minutes per game. He also shot 52 % from the field. His stats for both his freshman and Sophomore years were identical. His last year at the JC level he had 9 D-1 offers from including Memphis, Virginia Common Wealth, Iona, and Stetson. When it was announced at ECU that he was transferring they did not seem to mind at all. Hasuna is known more as a rebounder than a scorer. At Bismark State he once had a 29 rebound game and has gone over 20 rebounds more than once their. He is very athletic for a 7 footer and has good length. I scratched my head a little bit when I started doing my research. He only has 1 year of eligibility remaining and I am pretty sure he will have to sit out a year (I see no evidence he qualifies as a graduate transfer, nor is he listed as such in Verbal Commits). Maybe I am wrong, but we will be investing a redshirt year, in a player who averaged 1 point 2 rebounds at a school very similar to MSU, and then he only has eligibility for only the 2019-20 season. If I was Fish on a contract year I would be looking for someone who could contribute this season. My assumption is that Fish sees a long, athletic true big man and figure I can make him a solid Big Sky player, much the was Mick Durham ignored all his coaching brethren and signed Al Beye who had almost the same exact stats,

All this said I can not 100% confirm he has signed yet, so don't get your panties in a bundle either way yet.

Last edited by mslacat on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:17 pm

And while I was typing the above post .......

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am

Nice research on this guy MSLACAT!

autocat

Post by autocat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

If this guy can block a few shots, make a few layups, play some defense and not end up in foul trouble he'll be a bonus!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 am

autocat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am
Nice research on this guy MSLACAT!
Just a little recruiting/transfer tidbits. I hear Haruna had a ton of interest from D-2 schools as a transfer destination, but among D-1 his strongest interest was from Montana State, Albany and IUPUI

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:23 am

A big guy that actually looks the part. Hopefully he pans out. I am not sure on the other JC guy fish was recruiting though. He doesn't look much more promising than our other euro guy who I thought would transfer out. Anyways this gives some hope for this season. Any word on how the new freshman are looking? Any chance of any starting? I am hoping one of them is the new big sky freshman of the year and Tyler can go out with a bang. Hopefully MSU does some big stuff to help boost Tylers presence around the nation.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:56 pm

FYI - Players are slowly starting to commit to Schools. I am not going to post when every player mentioned in this thread commits. The exception s might be when they commit to the Bobcats of course. If they came in for a visit, or possibly some player we have discussed a lot in the thread. Bellach might have been someone worth mentioning if he would have committed else where. I will though update the list on the first page of this thread every so often with schools kids end up committing to.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:26 pm

It was tweeted last night that Coach Fish and his staff have offered seven footer James Hampshire of Casper JC. It is my understanding that he red shirted last year at Casper after playing his freshman year at Mesa JC in Arizona. In 2016-17 for Mesa he averaged 3.4 points, and 2.8 rebounds in about 8 minutes a game. He shot 66.7% from the field and did not take a 3 point shot. In his redshirt year he put on about 25 lbs of muscle (225lbs to 250lbs) and it shows. He is originally from Flagstaff Arizona. He was not getting much recruiting attention before the summer but had some good showing in JC tourneys and got noticed. He was good enough to win an invite to the Mullens Top (JC) 100 camp (it is actually more of a tournament). In the last 4 weeks he has received offers from Kent State, US Santa Barbara, Washington State as well as the Bobcats. There are a handful of teams showing interest.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:41 am

It's hard to say too much from that vid because I don't like the guard he's playing with and the opponents often seem to be very disorganized. However, if you can judge from a highlight tape, I'd say

1. What I know of MSU's history with 7-footers is that they either look like beanpoles or move like statues. (It's easy to see why--there are a lot more schools than there are naturally strong and athletic 7-footers.) I wouldn't put this kid in either of those categories.

2. He seems to be good enough with the ball in his hands to deal with less-than-stellar entry passes and maybe even low-quality double teams. Another rarity for MSU seven-footers.

3. His level of aggression is about where it should be. He almost always going to the hoop rather than away from it, and he doesn't settle for jumpers. I see settling for jumpers as a huge negative for a big guy playing in the post, and we never saw him do that. Some of the moves he does where he starts away from the basket to go back toward it might not be deceptive enough for Division 1, but if they don't he seemed more inclined to pass it back out than settle for the low-upside and low-percentage 2 point jumper on on plays that didn't work out.

All this with the caveat: if you can judge from a highlight video.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:02 am

mslacat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:26 pm
He was good enough to win an invite to the Mullens Top (JC) 100 camp (it is actually more of a tournament).

Mullen's is the top JUCO recruiting source in the Midwest, not sure how much is done on either coast by other companies. They have an exposure event during the April live time, usually in Indianapolis. In July, they have the Top 100 (I believe it is in Wichita) and they have an exposure event the day before that in Dallas. I don't know that the top 100 is a tournament, but they run it in conjunction with an AAU tournament, so they try to maximize the number of coaches that come to their weekend event. I don't remember how many games are played at those events, but typically each team plays a handful so coaches can see players. Their evaluators are out in full force throughout the fall, hitting most of the big Jamborees in October.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:48 pm

With the first game of the Bobcat Football less than a week away that means the first week of the Bobcat basketball official visits is also likely less trhan a week away. Traditionally going back to when Huse was the head coach the first two home is when the coaches try to get their top targets in for officeal visits. Some of Fish's best recruits have all visited during the Gold Rush game, Hall, Bonton, Martin to name a few. Typically Fish will have 2-3 (never more than 3) recruits in on a visit at any given time. So far I have not heard any names of potential visitors at this time but hopefully some names will surface in the next 3-4 days. Caleb Bellach is a possibility but, it would not surprise me if the coaches brought him in for a visit on home coming weekend. I am going to be on the road to and from Tuscon next week so the first place I will post any recruiting news will be on Twitter 1st because it is easier, when I can I will post the info on Bobcatnation. Don't though expect any long detailed post until I get back.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:37 am

If Fish and his coaches had any one in this week end for the football game, I have no indications who they might have been. That said I can not think of a year going back to be fore Huse was the coach that we did not have at least 2 recruits in for the first football game/Gold Rush of the season. That seems to be when the coaches like to bring in their top recruits (Tyler Hall, Harald Frey, Isaac Bonton, Jared Martin, Brenden Howard to name a few). Of course just because I did not hear of anyone while I was in Tuscon does not mean we did not have recruits in!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:06 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:30 am

What is Fish doing? This kid wasn't even a starter at a CC. Am I missing something out there?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:38 am

He only played in 7 games because of a broken leg.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:49 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:38 am
He only played in 7 games because of a broken leg.
As such he was allowed to take a redshirt year for 2017-18. Eligibility wise this coming year at Lamar CC will be his freshman year and he will come to MSU with three years of eligibility.