Fish signs a JC Point guard

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Fish signs a JC Point guard

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 pm

According to press release today from Florida Southwestern JC 5-11 PG/SG Russell Daniels has signed a letter of Intent with the Bobcats. Daniels averaged 4.4 point, 3.6 assists, 2 rebounds in 14.7 minutes of play last season, while shooting 49.5% from the field and 48% from 3 point range. He started 21 of 32 games for Florida SW St. Daniels played high school ball in Baton Rouge, La. for McKinley Senior High school. As a senior he averaged 17.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists. His primary position is the Point but he is known as a shooter with deep range and as you can see from his shooting percentage pretty darn accurate.

Here is a link to the Press release:

https://fsw.prestosports.com/sports/mbk ... Montana_St

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fish signs a JC Point guard

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:52 pm

This doesn't really seem like a "wow" signing?

I mean we need a PG...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:08 pm

CelticCat wrote:This doesn't really seem like a "wow" signing?

I mean we need a PG...
Sounds like Fish was specifically recruiting Harald Frey's back up for the next two years. Actually this sounds like a Fish spring JC recruit all the way. Just like two year ago when we lost a JC guard to transfer Fish went out and signed a JC guard to replace him. In that case he wanted to bring in a JC guard to replace a roster hole but he also wanted to bolster our perimeter defense so he looked for a guard who would do both, Devonte Klines. He said in every post season interview I read he wanted to bolster our 3 point shooting and range in order to take preasure off of Tyler and Harald. He wanted a back up point guard and 3 point shooting. So he signed Russell Daniels. Makes sense, but you are correct..... No WOW.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:05 pm

One more point, and this is all observation. Fish tends to sign his "WOW" players in the early siging period (in Novemeber) The spring signing period tends to be fill holes/needs from the season that just ended. Fine tuning if you will.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Ummmmm? Welllll? Okay...So I suppose with Frey here for two more years with a lock on the point guard position, getting someone to back him up probably wasn't super easy. 4.4 ppg in 14 minutes per game on a really good Florida JC team should translate into...what in the Big Sky?
I'm gonna go ahead and hold off on those plane tickets to Boise for a little while longer.
I hope this kid just knocks our socks off.

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Point Guard job:

Zero turnovers, 10-12 assists, everything else is a bonus.

Grandmaster Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Grandmaster Cat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:38 pm

So does this mean Nikkarinen is gone?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Grandmaster Cat wrote:So does this mean Nikkarinen is gone?
that is the big question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Well based on the tiny little bit of research I did, it looks like the JC team this kid comes from is absolutely loaded. I wonder if Fish is trying to establish something with that program?
Or Fish knows he's gone after this season and wants to leave the cupboard as bare as possible.
I'm kind of wavering on this one.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:01 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Well based on the tiny little bit of research I did, it looks like the JC team this kid comes from is absolutely loaded. I wonder if Fish is trying to establish something with that program?
Or Fish knows he's gone after this season and wants to leave the cupboard as bare as possible.
I would say neither of those is probably the case. With the really high level JUCOs, if the starter is a high major kid, the minutes and the numbers aren't going to be great. The coach the kid is at has been around for a long time in different capacities ... I think he was a recruiting evaluator for ESPN or Rivals at some point before becoming an assistant at Florida Gulf Coast. Possible that Fish knows him and he said this kid would fit what the Bobcats need and the coaches saw him in a practice and really like him

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:32 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Well based on the tiny little bit of research I did, it looks like the JC team this kid comes from is absolutely loaded. I wonder if Fish is trying to establish something with that program?
Careful, you can get electrocuted wearing tinfoil hats.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:25 am

Again this is a very specific needs Fish was recruiting and either you got to have faith or not but give the kid a chance to prove himself in a Bobcat Uni and do not get carried away with stats. Devonte Kilines had very similar stats but Fish saw something in Klines that he wanted on the team, and most would agree Klines turned out OK. Remember Al Beye? He averaged 2 points and 1.5 rebounds for a very good JC out of Oklahoma, when Durham saw something he liked and signed him. Bobcat fans (me included) were not very optimistic about his ability to contribute AT ALL. Today, or any day, we would give our eye teeth to have an Al Beye on our roster. Fish is our coach for 2018-19 and Daniels will be a member of that team lets give them both an opportunity to prove themselves. Listen I am more worried about Fish's track record with JC transfers, than I am with whether this kid has the talent to contribute at the Big Sky level.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:51 am

Russell Daniels, WELCOME to the Bobcat family!!!

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:06 pm

mslacat wrote:One more point, and this is all observation. Fish tends to sign his "WOW" players in the early siging period (in Novemeber) The spring signing period tends to be fill holes/needs from the season that just ended. Fine tuning if you will.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Fish recruiting WOW players seems to be a mute point...If we had WOW players, we would be WINNING games!!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:16 pm

KIX wrote:
mslacat wrote:One more point, and this is all observation. Fish tends to sign his "WOW" players in the early siging period (in Novemeber) The spring signing period tends to be fill holes/needs from the season that just ended. Fine tuning if you will.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Fish recruiting WOW players seems to be a mute point...If we had WOW players, we would be WINNING games!!
Tyler Hall WOW. Harald Frey WOW. Issac Bonton Wow. Derek Martin WOW Quinten Guliford potential WOW

SenorWeezer
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by SenorWeezer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm

JC Transfer opportunities; I don't understand this one at all ~ let's see...

Simon Falokun 6'9"
Dawson Community College, Glendive MT (361 miles away)
Averaged 16.7 points/game and 10.3 rebounds/game
Just signed with Tulsa

vs

Russell Daniels 5'11"
Florida Southwestern State College, Fort Myers, FL (2,532 miles away)
Averaged 4.4 points/game and 3.6 assists/game
Just signed with Montana State

Maybe MSU was recruiting Falokun and he wasn't interested, but wow... this seems like a serious miss. I find it hard to believe MSU couldn't find a guy (or a couple hundred of them) in our region who is 5'11" and put up those kind of numbers.

"I was Bobcat before Bobcat was cool."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:28 pm

SenorWeezer wrote:JC Transfer opportunities; I don't understand this one at all ~ let's see...

Simon Falokun 6'9"
Dawson Community College, Glendive MT (361 miles away)
Averaged 16.7 points/game and 10.3 rebounds/game
Just signed with Tulsa

vs

Russell Daniels 5'11"
Florida Southwestern State College, Fort Myers, FL (2,532 miles away)
Averaged 4.4 points/game and 3.6 assists/game
Just signed with Montana State

Maybe MSU was recruiting Falokun and he wasn't interested, but wow... this seems like a serious miss. I find it hard to believe MSU couldn't find a guy (or a couple hundred of them) in our region who is 5'11" and put up those kind of numbers.
Fish offered and recruited Falokun. I thought we had a decent chance but Tulsa came in late offered and he committed in under a week

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm

We still need a big man. That is crucial. If we do not get one, next year will be another disaster.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 pm

bobcatbob wrote:We still need a big man. That is crucial. If we do not get one, next year will be another disaster.

absolutely. The recruits we have signed this spring are meant to fine tune our back court, but we need at least 2 big men to even make our front court passable

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:01 pm

mslacat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:We still need a big man. That is crucial. If we do not get one, next year will be another disaster.

absolutely. The recruits we have signed this spring are meant to fine tune our back court, but we need at least 2 big men to even make our front court passable

Without at least one legitimate big guy, our scorers are again doomed!