Fish signs a JC Point guard

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fish signs a JC Point guard

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 am

We need a Mbunga-type player, who actually has some offensive skill around the basket.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:We need a Mbunga-type player, who actually has some offensive skill around the basket.
i would wet my pants if Fish signed a Mbunga-type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:23 am

CelticCat wrote:This doesn't really seem like a "wow" signing?

I mean we need a PG...
I don't know if that 48% from three is his real stat, but if it is I'd call that a pretty WOW number. Obviously we don't know if he can keep that number while taking more shots, if he can handle more minutes without turning the ball over too much, if he can play D etc. But between this guy, their other JC transfer from Wyoming, plus Hall and Frey, that's four guys who it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see hitting 40+% of their threes. That's worth something, right?

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 am

mslacat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:We still need a big man. That is crucial. If we do not get one, next year will be another disaster.

absolutely. The recruits we have signed this spring are meant to fine tune our back court, but we need at least 2 big men to even make our front court passable

Hard to believe we can’t find a big to fill the post. I know coach is trying hard as I believe his next contract depends on it. Going to be an interesting season. It’s hard to watch Montana continue to fill out it’s roster with what looks to be on paper tremendous players as we continue to fight over D2 talent. Did our AD miss a chance to improve our program by keeping Fish another season? I think athletics at MSU is on the rise........ except in Men’s Basketball. There needs to be some strategy developed on how to turn that around. There are a ton of hungry coaches looking for a program where they can show their talent. I was hoping that Fish was one of those coaches, but I’m not sure if he’s the right coach for Montana State.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm

I have lost count. Does Coach Fish still have one or more open scholarships for 2018-2019?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:19 pm

At least one. There is rumor a second could or has opened up. No one can confirm that though. Fish appears to be hitting the transfer list to land a "impact" player.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm

I asked Fish about two weeks ago how he's doing trying to get a big man and he said "we really don't need one, we just need to hit our shots". I then asked if Kirby looks like he's going to help us inside this year and he said something like ....well I dunno, we'll see......

2024 Resume dominance

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm
I asked Fish about two weeks ago how he's doing trying to get a big man and he said "we really don't need one, we just need to hit our shots". I then asked if Kirby looks like he's going to help us inside this year and he said something like ....well I dunno, we'll see......
On Kirby:

“He’s not the physical big guy we are looking for but he’s that scoring, passing big guy with skill who can stretch the floor,” Fish said.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:50 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 am
Helcat72 wrote:
On Kirby:

“He’s not the physical big guy we are looking for but he’s that scoring, passing big guy with skill who can stretch the floor,” Fish said.
And, quite frankly, the Bobcats have been missing that offensive threat from their bigs for some time now. This isn't including the "lunch pail" guys who played the 5 spot even though they should be only playing the 4 like Danny Robison, Blake Brumwell, Sam Neumann, Konner Frey, etc. No offense to Benson Osayande but his offensive ability from the 5 was minimal. In my opinion, in order for Fish's offense to really flow correctly, it needs a big man who can assist and score consistently. Devin provides that skill set.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:22 am

Gotta have someone out there who can defend the paint (some other team might have a physical big guy, even if Fish doesn't believe in them) and protect the rim (everyone out there has a wing who thinks he's Kobe or a 6-footer who thinks he's Allen Iverson). Who's that guy for the Cats right now?

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
On Kirby:

Kirby is never going to be a physical banger inside. He is not built for it. His brother was 6-9 240lbs was but if you put that much weight on Delvin it is most likely going to cause injuries down the line. We need to use him too his strengths. He is 6-11 and very long. He should be able to block shots, disrupt the passing lanes and pick off a few errand passes. Now whether he can or not we will have to see, but the optimist in me thinks he can give us some size and defense in paint. On offence I think he has a real nice touch around and away from the basket, but he needs to get more aggressive. He played 4 year for a coach who was pass, pass, pass, pass pass until you got a 100% shot (from a few designated players). There were times early in his freshman year that he would pass up wide open shots. With his size, length and athleticism he should be able catch spin and shoot over almost everybody in the Big Sky, plus he can shoot facing the basket out to 3 point range. He could be a potent offensive weapon for us if he decides to assert himself. It will be curious to see what he has learned over his redshirt. He could be our most important addition or just more of the same.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:58 am

mslacat wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
On Kirby:

Kirby is never going to be a physical banger inside. He is not built for it. His brother was 6-9 240lbs was but if you put that much weight on Delvin it is most likely going to cause injuries down the line. We need to use him too his strengths. He is 6-11 and very long. He should be able to block shots, disrupt the passing lanes and pick off a few errand passes. Now whether he can or not we will have to see, but the optimist in me thinks he can give us some size and defense in paint. On offence I think he has a real nice touch around and away from the basket, but he needs to get more aggressive. He played 4 year for a coach who was pass, pass, pass, pass pass until you got a 100% shot (from a few designated players). There were times early in his freshman year that he would pass up wide open shots. With his size, length and athleticism he should be able catch spin and shoot over almost everybody in the Big Sky, plus he can shoot facing the basket out to 3 point range. He could be a potent offensive weapon for us if he decides to assert himself. It will be curious to see what he has learned over his redshirt. He could be our most important addition or just more of the same.
With his length, Kirby may be a difference maker in the middle with his length when the Bobcats play their 2-3 zone. Offensively, the addition of shooters should help open things up for not only driving lanes, but for Kirby to get some easy baskets.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:17 am

I agree that we need a big that can contribute......... but with the guy from Idaho State leaving is there any bigs that contribute in the Big Sky or are we transitioning to small ball like the NBA? Who has the best front court in the conference?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Probably the Griz....since Krislovich left they seem to be intent on getting another big guy to replace him. But they have the power forward Akoh that has a presence down low to make it necessary to guard him which allows Ogine and the rest to at least be single covered. Since Nicholas left they might be a little more needy to replace their usual front court strength.

2024 Resume dominance

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Best returning big guys in the Big Sky...

Zach Braxton, Weber State, senior

Brekkot Chapman, Weber State, senior (Utah transfer)

Jamar Akoh, Montana, senior

Josh Patton, Sacramento State, junior

Donoven Dorsey, Montana, junior (Washington transfer who has sat out last two years - one per NCAA transfer rules, last year because of injury)

Mason Peatling, Eastern Washington, junior

Nate Sherwood, Idaho, senior

Brooks Debisschop, Northern Arizona, junior

Jalen Sanders, Northern Colorado, sophomore

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:09 am

We got our work cut out for us next season. I think if we’re going to be small, we’ll have to truly embrace small ball and hoist up a ton of 3’s. Chances are with that strategy we’ll be able to stay in some games. We don’t have the personnel to play a traditional style game.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:28 am

I don't think we need to necessarily get "BIG", as I have said before I am still not sure if most 6-10 Big Sky Caliber players can play the way Fish wants the 4 and 5 to play. From my watching of what Fish wants we need 6-7ish athletic "big guys" who actually have played the position before. Last year our so called bigs were not big (6-5), Not athletic (Blevins being the possible exception), and they were not big men (small forwards). We wracked up a huge amount of fouls (which turned in to Points) for first half of the season as our guys could not defend the post, and finally Fish gave up and we just let them score down low. AS of right now, today, I do not think there is a person on this board who can confidently say, we are going to be better in the paint next year. WE are holding out hope that Delvin Kirby has stepped up his game during his absence redshirt or that in coming freshman Zeke Quinlan and/or Max Schruecker can come in and contribute day one. I mean maybe down the road, but I am not sure we made up for the loss of Konner Frey. We have improved our shooting and have improved our back court, and a major factor in that is simply Tyler Hall returning HEALTHY. If Tyler thought he was a marked man last year, wait till 2018-19. With-out an inside game nest year we are going to live by the 3 point shot and die by the 3 point shot. Nights shots don't go down we are screwed.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:39 am

I’ll just stay home when we play Montana and Weber State. They’re just going to exploit our lack of a front court! With Akoh and Braxton, we could be seeing some career highs. I’m frustrated because we have the ability to be better than this. I’m to the point now that I prefer watching our women’s team to the men’s. At least we can compete.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:12 am

Catlady wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:39 am
I’ll just stay home when we play Montana and Weber State. They’re just going to exploit our lack of a front court! With Akoh and Braxton, we could be seeing some career highs. I’m frustrated because we have the ability to be better than this. I’m to the point now that I prefer watching our women’s team to the men’s. At least we can compete.
Last year Akoh has 15 and 9 in game 1 against the Bobcats, 9 and 2 in game 2. Oh, the humanity.