south dakota state going to NCAA for 3rd straight year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

south dakota state going to NCAA for 3rd straight year

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:08 am

Leon, we need some of that magic here. SDSU went 28-6. Pretty amazing.

Hope you can bring some of the Jackrabbit success our way. We haven't been to the NCAA on the men's
side for over two decades. It shouldn't be that difficult to win a Big Sky championship at least once
per decade, given the attributes that Montana State University offers.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: south dakota state going to NCAA for 3rd straight year

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:44 am

South Dakota State is a cow college like Montana State. Bozeman is positively urban compared to Brookings. However, Brookings is in a hoops mad area of the country.

Here's their staff: https://gojacks.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball
If we're going to go that direction we better grab one of their assistants fast before they move on to a bigger job and out of our price range.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 am

Frankly I don't know a thing about SDSU other than the fact that they have a heck of a football and basketball program.

I know folks like to call us "Moo U" but hey, that's what people say about Michigan State, Auburn, etc.

MSU is ALOT more than just Ag. But you reinforced my point.

There are so many desirable attributes that MSU brings to the table.

And of course, what makes it even worse is the fact that our rival, the declining U of M
has a dominating hoops program. Something doesn't add up here.

Maybe you are right about grabbing one of the SDSU assistants. Leon is obviously very familiar
with what they have over there.

I see where the UConn men's coach was fired. He had a horrible record, yet he hung on for six years I believe.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 am

Cow college is just another way of referring to the state land grant university. Big in ag and engineering and that sort of stuff. SDSU is larger in enrollment than their in-state rival the U of South Dakota. So there are many similarities between SDSU and MSU.
The previous head coach at SDSU before T.J. Otzelberger was Scott Nagy who was at SDSU for 20 some years and brought them through the D-2 to D-1 transition. He moved on to Wright State who just won the Horizon League and will be going to the NCAA tournament. Costello might be more familiar with that staff: https://wsuraiders.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball
Anyway-interesting times ahead for Bobcat basketball.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:17 am

The ironic thing about using South Dakota State as the example is I knew Scott Nagy when the Jackrabbits were Division Ii (yes, I'm old). The first time I saw him after it was announced the they were going D1, I congratulated him. He was very unenthused about going D1 and I asked him why. He flat out said he'd figured he would get fired during and dthe transition because administrations aren't patient enough and don't always bump up the resources.
If you really want to get someone that worked there if the decision is made to switch directions, I'd suggest Joe Krabbenhoft, who is a South Dakota native, played at Wisconsin, but started his coaching career at SDSU with Nagy. Also, Nagy's assistant, I believe when the transition started was Matt Margenthaler who took the Mankato State D2 job and has had a ton of success.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 am

South Dakota takes basketball much more serious than most Montana schools.

D-1
(Both SDSU teams were in the conference championship and won, and made the NCAA tournament):
SDSU
Men 28-6
Women 26-6

USD
Men 26-8
Women 26-6

D-2
(NSU won both men's and women's conference tournaments, and made the NCAA tournament. Men's team draws the largest crowds in the State, including USD and SDSU. They lost to Arizona State in 2OT 90-98 at the start of the season.)
Northern State University
Men 33-3
Women 26-6

Augustana University:
Men 16-14
Women 29-3

University of Sioux Falls
Men 20-10
Women 16-13

Black Hills State
Men 15-12
Women 24-8

South Dakota School of Mines is terrible (in MSU-B conference).

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 am

aucat wrote:
I see where the UConn men's coach was fired. He had a horrible record, yet he hung on for six years I believe.
He did win the NCAA Championship back in 2014. If anything will buy you a couple extra years to turn things around once you start to struggle, I imagine that would be it!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:51 am

And he was fired “for cause” not simply because of wins and losses. Sounds like recruiting violations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk