Roster Overhaul

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Roster Overhaul

Post by autocat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:38 am

How about a little optimism!

To borrow a line from the movie The Mask, " Hold onto your lugnuts it's time for an overhaul. " How many guys on the roster can compete at the Big Sky level, 3 or 4? Whatever the number is the three incoming freshmen are player that will be contributors next year one way or another.

Jared Martin is a 6'5 point guard, shooting guard, small forward. He can shoot from the perimeter and drive to the basket, several west coast conference schools wanted him. Zeke Quinlan is 6'7, strengths are moves fluidly and finishes around the basket or above the rim. Weber, Colgate and Montana were interested in Zeke. Quentin Guilford is 6'6 with with a 7'0 wing span and a 4.0 student. These guys are the bench players that didn't exist this year. ( Go to page 5 and check the info and video on these guys thanks to mislcat)

The key will be the other 3 or 4 new players that are added before next season, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised, sorry for being optimistic!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Roster Overhaul

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Guys I think are D1 players on the roster right now, next year, ready to play at this level:

Hall
Frey
Blevins

Nuemann is the most consistent player on the team IMO, but he just doesn't have the skillset or athleticism to be a dude in this league. I'd love to see him come off the bench, but at this point he is by far the best we have around the rim, on either end.

Klines needs to work on his offensive game, mainly his vision and ability to make a play when he starts driving, rather than stick his head down and attack the rim, never dumping it of or looking for anything else except to score. He may be our best defender but even he took a step back as the season progressed.

We need help in a bad way from the transfer ranks, or we better hope our incoming freshman are freshman of the year type players, and if they are, that they don't quit halfway through the season.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:10 pm

autocat wrote:How about a little optimism!

To borrow a line from the movie The Mask, " Hold onto your lugnuts it's time for an overhaul. " How many guys on the roster can compete at the Big Sky level, 3 or 4? Whatever the number is the three incoming freshmen are player that will be contributors next year one way or another.

Jared Martin is a 6'5 point guard, shooting guard, small forward. He can shoot from the perimeter and drive to the basket, several west coast conference schools wanted him. Zeke Quinlan is 6'7, strengths are moves fluidly and finishes around the basket or above the rim. Weber, Colgate and Montana were interested in Zeke. Quentin Guilford is 6'6 with with a 7'0 wing span and a 4.0 student. These guys are the bench players that didn't exist this year. ( Go to page 5 and check the info and video on these guys thanks to mislcat)

The key will be the other 3 or 4 new players that are added before next season, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised, sorry for being optimistic!
Is your comment on having 6 or 7 new guys next year accurate? Aren’t D1 rosters limited to 13? Are we seriously looking at 50% of our roster being new next year?

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
autocat wrote:How about a little optimism!

Is your comment on having 6 or 7 new guys next year accurate? Aren’t D1 rosters limited to 13? Are we seriously looking at 50% of our roster being new next year?
4 seniors this year, plus the two freshmen left, so a minimum of 6 new players.

autocat

Post by autocat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Help me out with Devin Kirby, 6'10 center, did he play last year and redshirt this year?

Any word on him for the future?

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:53 pm

autocat wrote:Help me out with Devin Kirby, 6'10 center, did he play last year and redshirt this year?

Yes, played as a freshman and redshirted this year. No idea of how much progress he made.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:18 pm

phantom wrote:
autocat wrote:Help me out with Devin Kirby, 6'10 center, did he play last year and redshirt this year?

Yes, played as a freshman and redshirted this year. No idea of how much progress he made.
He's athletic enough, but stick-thin and can't seem to bulk up. I understand that he was highly recruited in high school until some knee problems.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:18 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
phantom wrote:

He's athletic enough, but stick-thin and can't seem to bulk up. I understand that he was highly recruited in high school until some knee problems.
Al Beye was a stick-ish as they come and he was alright (defensively). RIP

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:50 pm

CelticCat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
phantom wrote:

Actually this is a pretty good comparison. Devin may in fact become the rim-protector we've been missing.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:20 pm

CelticCat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
phantom wrote:

A person just had to admire Al’s heart. He always gave 100%. He was also a high character person, on and off the court. It is tragic he was taken so soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:22 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
phantom wrote:

He basically used his redshirt this past season to focus on adding bulk and strength. Devin is a natural on the offensive end because of his vision/awareness as a passer from the post. He also has nice touch around the rim (something NONE of our posts have had in about a decade). Getting Devin back is going to help big time.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

desmond1957

Post by desmond1957 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:41 pm

CelticCat wrote:Guys I think are D1 players on the roster right now, next year, ready to play at this level:

Hall
Frey
Blevins

Nuemann is the most consistent player on the team IMO, but he just doesn't have the skillset or athleticism to be a dude in this league. I'd love to see him come off the bench, but at this point he is by far the best we have around the rim, on either end.

Klines needs to work on his offensive game, mainly his vision and ability to make a play when he starts driving, rather than stick his head down and attack the rim, never dumping it of or looking for anything else except to score. He may be our best defender but even he took a step back as the season progressed.

We need help in a bad way from the transfer ranks, or we better hope our incoming freshman are freshman of the year type players, and if they are, that they don't quit halfway through the season.
Unfortunately I would have to agree 100% with your assessment of our current roster,and for the life of me cannot see what Fish saw in bringing in some of his recruits. Without mentioning names, to anyone who has sat through the last 2 seasons it's been painfully obvious a major overhaul must be done if we have any hope of competing for a spot in the top 4 in the conference. Above all, we need a LEADER,someone who wants the damn ball when the game is on the line!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Never mind the roster overhaul. Will there be a coaching overhaul? I would have though the rumor mill would have churned something out by now. What's going on?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:28 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Never mind the roster overhaul. Will there be a coaching overhaul? I would have though the rumor mill would have churned something out by now. What's going on?
Tyler Hall has removed all mention of MSU from his Twitter account, so he appears to be gone. In response to upcoming coaching news? We will see...

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:08 pm

MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:Never mind the roster overhaul. Will there be a coaching overhaul? I would have though the rumor mill would have churned something out by now. What's going on?
Tyler Hall has removed all mention of MSU from his Twitter account, so he appears to be gone. In response to upcoming coaching news? We will see...
Really??? Do you honestly believe Tyler has more inside information than anyone else?

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:58 pm

imacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Really??? Do you honestly believe Tyler has more inside information than anyone else?

I don't think they were saying that he knows what might happen to Fish. Ty has a chance to get paid. I'd be rollin out of here to if I was him. Money talks. Bring on the loot.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:31 pm

After the season he just had there is no way he gets drafted. Not to the NBA.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:37 pm

imacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

No more so than any other players, but I'd guess that the team would be told about a coaching change before it was announced publicly so that they wouldn't find out about it via social media postings.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 pm

91catAlum wrote:After the season he just had there is no way he gets drafted. Not to the NBA.
Would have to agree. Not even close at this point to being skilled enough to play in the NBA. Would probably be fine overseas. I guess that still counts as getting paid.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 pm

rosco_cat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:After the season he just had there is no way he gets drafted. Not to the NBA.
Would have to agree. Not even close at this point to being skilled enough to play in the NBA. Would probably be fine overseas. I guess that still counts as getting paid.
Beats being broke, standing in the food line at MSU. It's not like he's moving in on a engineering degree.