Time for Fish to go!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Time for Fish to go!

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I think what everyone needs to understand is that there won't be an announcement made unless Fish's final year of his contract is terminated and bought out. Otherwise, Fish has a year remaining on his contract and there is nothing for Costello to announce.
Well then I would think some local reporter would get quotes from the coach regarding a summary of this season and thoughts on the upcoming season. The Chronicle put one out about the women's team this weekend-chock full-o-quotes from coach Binford, who we're pretty sure is returning next season unless some college shows up on her door step with a wheel barrel full of cash to coach their team. But regarding the men's team there's only been this tweet: https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/974284672740962304 Meanwhile, fans, current players, assistant coaches, and recruits are twisting in the wind.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Maybe Fish making offers and visiting recruits last week is a clue? Or even he doesn't know what is going to happen until this week?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:I think what everyone needs to understand is that there won't be an announcement made unless Fish's final year of his contract is terminated and bought out. Otherwise, Fish has a year remaining on his contract and there is nothing for Costello to announce.
Well then I would think some local reporter would get quotes from the coach regarding a summary of this season and thoughts on the upcoming season. The Chronicle put one out about the women's team this weekend-chock full-o-quotes from coach Binford, who we're pretty sure is returning next season unless some college shows up on her door step with a wheel barrel full of cash to coach their team. But regarding the men's team there's only been this tweet: https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/974284672740962304 Meanwhile, fans, current players, assistant coaches, and recruits are twisting in the wind.
Talked to Fish after Marshall's win over Wichita State briefly the other day (he went to Marshall if you remember) and he was on the road recruiting. He said he has been back to Bozeman for about a day since MSU's loss in Reno, instead spending time recruiting to fill the four open spots he has on his roster. He said we can catch up this week for a follow up on the season. I'll have that for you later this week.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Talked to Fish after Marshall's win over Wichita State briefly the other day (he went to Marshall if you remember) and he was on the road recruiting. He said he has been back to Bozeman for about a day since MSU's loss in Reno, instead spending time recruiting to fill the four open spots he has on his roster. He said we can catch up this week for a follow up on the season. I'll have that for you later this week.
Reading between the lines on this. Sounds like Fish will be back next year.
Why would Costello allow Fish to travel and recruit if he was not going to be back next year??

Personally, I am ok with this. Fish did show signs of improvement the first 3.5 years. (After game 4 of conference everything went off the track.)
Fish will need to evaluate himself and figure out what he needs to do different to get back on the improvement track.
Once he figure this out he needs to be able to do it mid season and not wait till the season is over to make changes.

Binford seems to be good at evaluating what is wrong and making changes to fix it.
Maybe Fish could get her to evaluate and recommend some changes for the men's program??

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Colter you say 4 roster spots. You trying to slide something by as I thought we have the three new recruits and then three more openings that we know for sure. Hmmm maybe you have an inside track on something, but I really hope we have four more to bring in for next year beyond what we already have. I just hope its not the loss of the one we are all concerned about on here.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:38 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat, I have to hand it you. You are one persistent dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Colter, what is your personal threshold delineating a tough, fair question versus something that could be considered obnoxious and antagonizing?

I’d love to see Fish answer how he’s the right person to turn this program into a winner even though he’s never had a winning season and he’s the one responsible for the current state of the program.

I keep hearing how he’s a great recruiter, so how come he just doesn’t recruit better players (e.g. Tyler Halls)?

I’ve heard there’s a lack of talent on the team, so why did the team give up on more than one occasion this season when giving 100% and doing your best requires no talent at all?

Ask Fish if he would hire himself if he were an athletic director. Charlie Weis is the only person I’ve seen answer that question honestly.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:30 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:Colter you say 4 roster spots. You trying to slide something by as I thought we have the three new recruits and then three more openings that we know for sure. Hmmm maybe you have an inside track on something, but I really hope we have four more to bring in for next year beyond what we already have. I just hope its not the loss of the one we are all concerned about on here.
Yeah I caught that too. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that any news about Bobcat men's basketball will be bad news.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:25 pm

No the 4 scholarships is not a result of Tyler Hall transferring.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:41 pm

I guess I need a refresher on how many are available. We had 6 total with 3 signed, correct?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:32 am

Hawks86 wrote:I guess I need a refresher on how many are available. We had 6 total with 3 signed, correct?
An under classmen will not return. Expect an announcement relatively soon. I have been asked not to report it until it becomes official.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:I guess I need a refresher on how many are available. We had 6 total with 3 signed, correct?
An under classmen will not return. Expect an announcement relatively soon. I have been asked not to report it until it becomes official.
Logically one player comes to mind and if it is that player it will make it a clean sweep.

BTW if Fish has 4 scholarships to offer how many wing players will he sign? 3 .... 4

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:22 pm

mslacat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Logically one player comes to mind and if it is that player it will make it a clean sweep.

BTW if Fish has 4 scholarships to offer how many wing players will he sign? 3 .... 4
Well...I would think he will need at least one more point guard if its who I think it is....

2024 Resume dominance

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
mslacat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Well...I would think he will need at least one more point guard if its who I think it is....
My guess based on what he has done before and we need.

1 - PG who can contribute right away either HS or JC
1 - SG/SF JC ( The coaches seem to be looking very hard for a 6-4ish wing player from the JC ranks)
2 - Big men ( I hope two, the coaches are definitely looking at quite a few JC big men from 6-7 PF to 6-11 true centers)

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:49 pm

mslacat wrote:

You're right ... we need to get a couple guys like this guy ... he's tall, he has to be good at basketball. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... all-881709

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:39 pm

phantom wrote:
mslacat wrote:

You're right ... we need to get a couple guys like this guy ... he's tall, he has to be good at basketball. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... all-881709
We already had a 6'11" Bradley Fischer from England......he was all body....no legs. Looked like one of the characters who have the beer race at Milwaukee Stadium! This guy looks familiar!

2024 Resume dominance

BobcatFan68
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatFan68 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:30 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:No the 4 scholarships is not a result of Tyler Hall transferring.

Are you sure? Did you actually talk to Tyler?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:14 am

BobcatFan68 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:No the 4 scholarships is not a result of Tyler Hall transferring.

Are you sure? Did you actually talk to Tyler?
He said as much, if he leaves it would be 5.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 am

Very difficult to win in Bozeman, MT. Patience is required. I think Fish deserves not just one more year but a couple more after that. Patience, people.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 am

84CatGrad wrote:Very difficult to win in Bozeman, MT. Patience is required. I think Fish deserves not just one more year but a couple more after that. Patience, people.
I'm in favor of giving him one more year, but three more? I don't know about that, unless the team shows significant improvement next season.