Cat-Griz Women

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Cat-Griz Women

Post by John K » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Part 1 of Cat-Griz didn't go so well. After trailing only 34-30 at the half, the Cats gave up 53 points in the 2nd half and lost 87-63. Cats got absolutely hammered on the boards. At one point the margin was something like 41-17. To be honest, I thought it was sort of a disappointing effort on MSU's part. This was a UM team that had lost 4 straight coming into this game, after losing Sophia Stiles, including being swept at home last weekend. There's no excuse for giving up so many offensive rebounds. If we don't shoot well from 3, we have no chance to beat even a halfway decent team.

On a side note, the one commentator who was a former Griz player...I think it might have been Krista Redpath...always referred to "Coach Schweyen" while always calling our coach simply "Binford". I readily admit that I may be a bit overly sensitive when it comes to Griz bias among the local media, but I thought that was sort of disrespectful.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Cat-Griz Women

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pm

John K wrote:On a side note, the one commentator who was a former Griz player...I think it might have been Krista Redpath...always referred to "Coach Schweyen" while always calling our coach simply "Binford". I readily admit that I may be a bit overly sensitive when it comes to Griz bias among the local media, but I thought that was sort of disrespectful.
That was disrespectful. I saw her appear at the beginning of the game, realized I could not put up with her, and quickly synced up TuneIn radio with Jason Alvine. Much better.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cat-Griz Women

Post by RickRund » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:23 pm

John K wrote:Part 1 of Cat-Griz didn't go so well. After trailing only 34-30 at the half, the Cats gave up 53 points in the 2nd half and lost 87-63. Cats got absolutely hammered on the boards. At one point the margin was something like 41-17. To be honest, I thought it was sort of a disappointing effort on MSU's part. This was a UM team that had lost 4 straight coming into this game, after losing Sophia Stiles, including being swept at home last weekend. There's no excuse for giving up so many offensive rebounds. If we don't shoot well from 3, we have no chance to beat even a halfway decent team.

On a side note, the one commentator who was a former Griz player...I think it might have been Krista Redpath...always referred to "Coach Schweyen" while always calling our coach simply "Binford". I readily admit that I may be a bit overly sensitive when it comes to Griz bias among the local media, but I thought that was sort of disrespectful.
Really did get hammered. Disappointed, very!!!
Had not really thought about the announcer but did notice she always said Binford.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Never feels good to lose a CAT/griz game... and I don't think we needed to lose this one. We haven't put good road games together this year, and I'm worried our last three games before Reno are road games. Coach Binford just keeps saying, "It's hard to win on the road." Would like if she had a better answer to overcoming winning on the road. Just hope since Reno is a road game for all teams we can put up better numbers.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:21 pm

CatRowdy wrote:Never feels good to lose a CAT/griz game... and I don't think we needed to lose this one. We haven't put good road games together this year, and I'm worried our last three games before Reno are road games. Coach Binford just keeps saying, "It's hard to win on the road." Would like if she had a better answer to overcoming winning on the road. Just hope since Reno is a road game for all teams we can put up better numbers.
I hate to say it, but I don't think either the men or the women will win another game this season. As you noted, the women finish with 3 road games, and they haven't fared well on the road. Although the truth is they haven't been that great even at home...only 6-3 in conference at the Brick this season, after having won 31 straight at home.

They'll likely be the 8 seed in the tourney and the bottom 4 teams are pretty weak, so they'll have a decent chance against the 9 seed in the 1st round, but they won't get any further than that.

I'd like to think the men may have a shot at beating ISU at home, but I think our chances are no more than 50-50 at best, and they're not gonna beat UM or WSU.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:09 pm

What a complete disaster! Decided to go down to the Rockin R and root for the Lady Cats. Nice crowd on hand
and nice cheering in the first quarter or so. But wow, where did our Lady Cats go? Dang, I don't understand why
we can't box out?

The thing is, while yes, I'm a bad loser, I can take losing. I know it is tough to win on the road in basketball.
However, losing is one thing, not even competing is another.

Midway through the 3rd quarter most of the fans at the Rockin R were more engaged in conversation with each
other rather than paying any attention to the one-sided blowout.

I have seen every Lady Cat game this season and I maintain that we have the talent level to compete at the
upper echelon of the Big Sky this year. I think part of the problem is coaching and I also think part of the problem
is with the leadership on the team. I can understand having games where, for whatever reason, players go cold
with their shooting. But do our players forget how to box out? It is really not that hard. You just put your butt
in their stomach and hold your position with strength and determination. Jeez

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 pm

From this afternoon: Dominant rebounding effort, third-quarter spurt leads Lady Griz past rival Bobcats
https://skylinesportsmt.com/dominant-re ... l-bobcats/

tomrechlin
New Recruit

Post by tomrechlin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Rough day for Cat women

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
John K wrote:On a side note, the one commentator who was a former Griz player...I think it might have been Krista Redpath...always referred to "Coach Schweyen" while always calling our coach simply "Binford". I readily admit that I may be a bit overly sensitive when it comes to Griz bias among the local media, but I thought that was sort of disrespectful.
That was disrespectful. I saw her appear at the beginning of the game, realized I could not put up with her, and quickly synced up TuneIn radio with Jason Alvine. Much better.
Yeah as soon as I heard her voice I gave a groan of disappointment. My wife asked why and I explained what kind of announcing she does. My wife doubted me so I said just listen awhile.
The first 2+ possessions were vintage Redpath. The Griz had the ball first and she described each pass, movement and the shot. Now the Cats had the ball and she talked about Griz non stop till we made a 3ptr so she said Cats make a three. Then it was right back to talking Griz. It didn't take more than about 3 minutes and she had hit every one of my predictions of crap announcing.
That was enough of listening to her. Unfortunately it wasn't far into the 3rd qtr that I decided that plowing out a quarter mile of driveway would be more enjoyable.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:56 pm

CAT-GRIZ PRESS CONFERENCE: Lady Griz down Bobcats 87-63
https://skylinesportsmt.com/cat-griz-pr ... ats-87-63/