Team wide-season long shooting slump

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Team wide-season long shooting slump

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 pm

https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/965743460924899328 It's their February 20 show.
Surprised Nuanez didn't post this-or maybe he did and I missed it. These guys got more out of Fish than I've heard before.
Then go to 20 minutes in and listen to Colter talk about this team's shooting woes. Last season Mvuezolo made 62 threes, in this conference season so far he's made 8. Blevins has hit 7 threes this conference season and three of those came against Idaho. They didn't say, but I would bet Klines and Zach Green have way less than 10 threes a piece as well. Fish's offense gets guys open looks, but it requires guys to hit jump shots. This team can't hit them.

I don't think the griz are capable of playing bad enough to lose to the Bobcats this Saturday, though I wouldn't be surprised if the game was a little closer than many expect. I'm not going to bother watching though. I think I'll watch a Hallmark movie or something instead.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Team wide-season long shooting slump

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:01 pm

You beat me to it! Just came over here to post this. Thanks for doing it.

To answer your question, Devonte Klines has hit five 3-pointers in league play and Zach Green has hit 1. I said Keljin Blevins has hit seven but he's actually hit 8. Joe Mvuezolo has hit 8. I mis-spoke with the Mvuezolo 3-pointers last year but he did hit 18 and Fish did have him projected as a 35-40 3s guy this year. Blevins is shooting 28.5 percent from 3 in league play, Mvuezolo 25 percent, Klines 27.8 percent, Neumann 30 percent, Nikkarinen 0 percent. That's a whole bunch of missed shots which then allows the opposition to focus on stoping Tyler Hall and Harald Frey, in turn impacting their shooting as well. Tyler is shooting 35.5 8 percent from deep, Harald 35.4 percent. Konner Frey is the only one shooting it well at 50 percent (11-of-22) from beyond the arc in Big Sky play.

Fish also dives into the shooting slump and the way new-age media is a huge distraction for kids when it comes to breaking out of such slumps today in this podcast - https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-bre ... ebruary-8/ Fish starts about 35 minutes in.

I interview Fish pretty much every week one on one and I get way more out of him than what he says to the Bozeman media so check out our Stars of Big Sky Basketball podcast every Thursday if you'd like more insight. It's been a frustrating season for all involved, particularly Fish. He's adamant the team is playing better defense and, the last handful of games, moving the ball much better. They just aren't shooting like a shooting team needs to shoot to win games, especially against teams with better talent.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:38 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/965743460924899328 It's their February 20 show.
Surprised Nuanez didn't post this-or maybe he did and I missed it. These guys got more out of Fish than I've heard before.
Then go to 20 minutes in and listen to Colter talk about this team's shooting woes. Last season Mvuezolo made 62 threes, in this conference season so far he's made 8. Blevins has hit 7 threes this conference season and three of those came against Idaho. They didn't say, but I would bet Klines and Zach Green have way less than 10 threes a piece as well. Fish's offense gets guys open looks, but it requires guys to hit jump shots. This team can't hit them.

I don't think the griz are capable of playing bad enough to lose to the Bobcats this Saturday, though I wouldn't be surprised if the game was a little closer than many expect. I'm not going to bother watching though. I think I'll watch a Hallmark movie or something instead.
Ya, I'll probably take the Griz with whatever point spread they come out with and bet the house on it. That way when I'm pissed off about how bad they kick our asses at least I'll be rich.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:20 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/965743460924899328 It's their February 20 show.

At least you’ll be able to learn the true meaning of Christmas. There’s value in that.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

GoldenEagle
New Recruit

Post by GoldenEagle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:16 am

The Cats played the EAGS very tough. Play the teddy bears as tough on defense and shoot the 3's better and you'll beat them. I think you will hand the griz their third loss in a row! Good luck Cats.