WBB vs. Idaho

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

WBB vs. Idaho

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Cats lose big at home 95-77. A little bit because we look a little out of sorts on defense, but mostly because Idaho couldn't miss. Idaho shoots it well, has good guards, and they are huge across the front line. They have girls that are 6'4" and 6'5". If they play like they did tonight the rest of the way they'll be a sweet 16 team.

One silver lining. In the last two games Tori Martel is starting to hit some shots and show a little of what made her such a prolific scorer in high school. Pranger keeps showing lots of potential too.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB vs. Idaho

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:53 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Cats lose big at home 95-77. A little bit because we look a little out of sorts on defense, but mostly because Idaho couldn't miss. Idaho shoots it well, has good guards, and they are huge across the front line. They have girls that are 6'4" and 6'5". If they play like they did tonight the rest of the way they'll be a sweet 16 team.

One silver lining. In the last two games Tori Martel is starting to hit some shots and show a little of what made her such a prolific scorer in high school. Pranger keeps showing lots of potential too.

Yep. Ran into a buzz saw tonight. Idaho shot over 50% from both beyond the arc and inside the arc. MSU wasn't bad at over 40% for both and in many games if we make 14 3s we would probably win. Eight in a row for Idaho now. Not sure how we could have defensed Freune better tonight....she just made plays with her drive and shot.

Yes on Martel, that's 2 games in a row. As she grows she will need to take the shot a little quicker. I joke that right now she pours herself a cup of coffee and takes a sip before she shoots. As defenses start to collapse on her she will probably have to wait to take a sip. But that will come.

Still think the future looks bright. This team has its ups and downs but boy I would hate to play us in the tournament if we are on a roll. They are capable of beating everybody if they put it together.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 am

Vandals shoot lights out, bury Bobcats
https://skylinesportsmt.com/vandals-sho ... y-bobcats/

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:00 am

BobcatDel wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:Cats lose big at home 95-77. A little bit because we look a little out of sorts on defense, but mostly because Idaho couldn't miss. Idaho shoots it well, has good guards, and they are huge across the front line. They have girls that are 6'4" and 6'5". If they play like they did tonight the rest of the way they'll be a sweet 16 team.

Yep. Ran into a buzz saw tonight. Idaho shot over 50% from both beyond the arc and inside the arc. MSU wasn't bad at over 40% for both and in many games if we make 14 3s we would probably win. Eight in a row for Idaho now. Not sure how we could have defensed Freune better tonight....she just made plays with her drive and shot.

Yes on Martel, that's 2 games in a row. As she grows she will need to take the shot a little quicker. I joke that right now she pours herself a cup of coffee and takes a sip before she shoots. As defenses start to collapse on her she will probably have to wait to take a sip. But that will come.

Still think the future looks bright. This team has its ups and downs but boy I would hate to play us in the tournament if we are on a roll. They are capable of beating everybody if they put it together.
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but what gives you the idea that they're going to get on a roll going into the tourney? After starting out 7-3 in conference, they've now lost 4 in a row, including 2 blowout losses at home. After the long home winning streak ended, they're only 3-3 in their last 6 home games. They finish with 3 straight road games, after the home finale tomorrow night. With only 4 conference games remaining, if they're going to get on a roll, it better start pretty soon.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 am

And by the way, did the Pluto feed work OK for other people last night? I didn't get home until about 8:45 and I hoped to catch the end of the game, but when I turned it on I got a blank screen. Was the game just already over by then, or were there problems with the Pluto feed?

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 am

There were some games this year where I thought the Lady Cats were again going to be
serious contenders to once again win the BSC.

We lost Peyton and Riley, but we also had some good new folks.

I'm not sure that we are that much worse than last year, it seems that the entire conference has really improved.

So we have gone from being a champion to now mired down near the bottom of the BSC.

I will come out Saturday to celebrate senior day. Then I guess we look forward to spring practice.

I don't think either men or women will be able to do much in the tournament.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:42 am

John K wrote:And by the way, did the Pluto feed work OK for other people last night? I didn't get home until about 8:45 and I hoped to catch the end of the game, but when I turned it on I got a blank screen. Was the game just already over by then, or were there problems with the Pluto feed?
Really cannot remember when the game was over. My Pluto was fine last night. I think generally there will be a screen saying that tonight's contest has been completed.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 am

John K wrote:And by the way, did the Pluto feed work OK for other people last night? I didn't get home until about 8:45 and I hoped to catch the end of the game, but when I turned it on I got a blank screen. Was the game just already over by then, or were there problems with the Pluto feed?
My pluto was ok. I switched to the men's feed from UI, which was the radio broadcast with a basic video feed. Not much graphics, every once in a while they pointed the camera at the scoreboard. The announcers did mention the score. I think that may be better than the on-screen score that MSU offers that is often 1 or 2 scores behind.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Yes, the game was long over by then. With only one media timeout per quarter (which often doubles as a team timeout) and short quarter breaks, these games are noticeably shorter.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:01 pm

[/quote]

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but what gives you the idea that they're going to get on a roll going into the tourney? After starting out 7-3 in conference, they've now lost 4 in a row, including 2 blowout losses at home. After the long home winning streak ended, they're only 3-3 in their last 6 home games. They finish with 3 straight road games, after the home finale tomorrow night. With only 4 conference games remaining, if they're going to get on a roll, it better start pretty soon.[/quote]

All good reasons to give them absolutely no hope. But some of us live in delusional hope I guess. When they play at the top of their game they are as good of a team as I have enjoyed watching. Before the game last night they were still ranked near the top or at the top of the Big Sky in a number of areas. They rank 7th in the nation (not the Big Sky, the nation) in 3 pt percentage. Four starters still shooting over 35% from beyond the arc and Delaney still shooting near 50% from the arc.... if they get hot they can be really hot. And success fuels success and success fuels energy. Again without Idaho stats they have outscored other teams from 2 range, from 3 range, had more assists and out rebounded their opponents. Negatives were that they had more turnovers and fewer steals. They still rank in the top 4 in the conference in defense in nearly all defensive categories. They usually don't lose shooting nearly 45% like they did against Idaho on Thursday, it wasn't a terrible game for them but Idaho was great. Guaranteed they would have won in Northern Arizona shooting like that and 24 turnovers in Sacramento State is inexcusable. Yep, had a couple down games in a row, but that can turn around quickly if they develop some consistency....Overall this is still a young team and still growing.

Idaho State... remember them. Near the bottom of the league two years ago and won the tourney.

I will just keep my delusional hope for now. But you may be absolutely right. Win or lose I will just toast their season.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Good post.