BEST OF THE BIG SKY: Men’s basketball continues upward trend

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm

The Big Sky ranked No. 30 of 32 Division I conferences in RPI last season. The league is up to No. 18 this season. Here's the main reasons why...

https://skylinesportsmt.com/best-of-the ... ard-trend/

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: BEST OF THE BIG SKY: Men’s basketball continues upward t

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:08 am

Too much extraneous griz fluff in there for my taste, but still an excellent piece.
I feel like the Bobcats have missed the party.
This Fish quote is interesting: “Schools are starting to figure it out,” said Fish, who is in the middle of his fourth season at MSU. “They are starting to figure out that it doesn’t take a great deal of commitment to have a good basketball team. You can do it. There are a ton of good players. If you can hire guys who can recruit guys and get them there, you are building a program and you are swinging away.”
So what element is missing at MSU? Less commitment from the school? The guys he hired can't recruit? We're not swinging away? Why can't it happen here?
I think the narrative at the end of the season will be, the Bobcats didn't get worse from last season to this season, the rest of the league just got better. That may be true, and maybe someday our moment will come, but right now it is excruciatingly frustrating.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Too much extraneous griz fluff in there for my taste, but still an excellent piece.
I feel like the Bobcats have missed the party.
This Fish quote is interesting: “Schools are starting to figure it out,” said Fish, who is in the middle of his fourth season at MSU. “They are starting to figure out that it doesn’t take a great deal of commitment to have a good basketball team. You can do it. There are a ton of good players. If you can hire guys who can recruit guys and get them there, you are building a program and you are swinging away.”
So what element is missing at MSU? Less commitment from the school? The guys he hired can't recruit? We're not swinging away? Why can't it happen here?
I think the narrative at the end of the season will be, the Bobcats didn't get worse from last season to this season, the rest of the league just got better. That may be true, and maybe someday our moment will come, but right now it is excruciatingly frustrating.
I don't know the answer to this, but someone on here may ... how is the assistant coaches compared to the rest of the conference? Are the Bobcats assistants any less experienced (theoretically having less experience and fewer recruiting contacts) than other staffs in the conference due to salary considerations?

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am

Wasn't it Fish's first season that we played Kentucky? Didn't we get beat by about 60 or 70 points?

Last night I watched Kentucky on ESPN lose their 4th game in a row. To Auburn. By 10.

Somehow, I think if we played Kentucky this year we would still lose by 60.

Yes, I do see some examples of the Big Sky being better. I noticed Portland State had beaten Cal and Stanford.

Of course, UM is having a banner year and might get a decent seed in the NCAA.

But as pointed out, the party hasn't arrived at MSU yet.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 am

I looked it up. It was 2014. UK 86 MSU 28.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Suggested Alternate title for this thread:

BEST OF THE BIG SKY: Men’s basketball continues upward trend.......... While MSU is left behind!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:24 pm

One season does not a trend make. I’ll believe it when I see it. The BSC and about 16 others should form a 1-AA for Hoops.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber