MBB- Taking a step backwards

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: MBB- Taking a step backwards

Post by phantom » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:05 am

John K wrote:
I don't know enough about the x's and o's of college hoops to even attempt to explain why we're having such a disappointing season. I just know that something has gone wrong. After going 11-7 in conference last year, and 10-3 in the final 13 games, and then starting out 4-0 this year, I was really optimistic about the season. But now we're 2-7 since that 4-0 start, and likely to finish no better than 6-12 or 7-11. 4 of our final 5 games are against the 4 best teams in the conference, while only 1 of our first 13 games was against those 4 top teams. 5 of our 6 conference wins have come against the 4 worst teams in the conference, and to add insult to injury, we lost to last place NAU at home...their only BSC win so far. We have clearly regressed badly since last season, with essentially the same roster. Didn't we return almost everyone from last year's team?. So what gives?
While I don't know how much regression there has been, there certainly hasn't been the progression that everyone had hoped for. I have my opinions on the individual pieces, but I'm not going to be critical of individuals here. From an x's and o's standpoint on offense, a lot of the problems have been predicated on the Bobcats inability to shoot the ball consistently. Last year's team shot 37.5% from the 3-point line, this year, 3 percentage points lower. Tyler from last year to this year from the 3 -- 42.9 last year, 37.7 this year, Harry, 40.9 last year, 37.9 this year. Sam 37.6 last year, 31.6 this year. Joe last year, 36.7, 28.1 this year, Zach 27.6 last year, 21.4 this year. When you don't shoot the three well, teams are more apt to play driving lanes more and the floor is not as spread. When the Bobcats run high screen/roll, the opponents aren't respecting anyone that is the screener ... they sag off of the two guys other than Tyler to take the roll away and no one is really a threat to shoot the ball that is setting the screen. You could try Tyler and Harry in the two man game, but then the opponent lifts a third guy up to help on the drive and they stay with Tyler. So, why aren't there more shooters on the roster? Well, as a coach, what indicators were there that the same group of guys wouldn't shoot as well this year?
So, you've seen the offer go out to a kid that appears to be able to really shoot the ball. MSLACAT follows the recruiting closely, so he can address whether the incoming freshmen are known as shooters or not. From what I remember, one is supposed to be a pretty good scorer, one is long and rangy. The other kids they offer late will give you a pretty good idea of what holes the coaches feel they need to fill for next year.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: MBB- Taking a step backwards

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:The answer to both the Men's and Ladies is "very simple"... It is between their ears. The solution??? Have no clue how to get in there and pull out the answer. Sure wish I did. This has to be eating at all of them...

Stop pressing!!! And I don't mean half of full court!!!
I agree.

We're undersized, under talented, and they play with no belief or confidence. I believe that lack of belief carries over to the free throw shooting. In short they're a bunch of head cases.
People and their psych theories :roll:

Free throws give people trouble for the same reason the that shooting is the hardest part of biathlon. It's NOT mental. Most shooting practice (rifles or free throws) happens in a calm, controlled situation, during which the shooter takes a bunch of fairly easy shots in a row. You build up a muscle memory of how to take the shot when you're loosened up and at or near a resting heart rate. Unfortunately, that task is a lot different from taking a small handful of shots after extreme exertion, when your muscles are firing and you're wired up to your eyeballs in adrenaline, and muscle memory from the former situation is of limited use in the latter situation for purely physical reasons.

That's also why the worst free throw problems tend to strike big men rather than guards, and most especially the "traditional" big men with a lot of power in their game. Scoring in the post uses a lot more upper-body strength than jump shooting or dribbling to the basket.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers