MBB vs Portland State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs Portland State

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Clines had a good game a couple weeks ago and ever since he drives the lane and tries to go against 6-8 postmen. He gets fouled and misses free throws. We get our lead whittled down with plays like that whether it turns into a blown layup or a turnover, but its how we lose leads.

Clines has the opportunity to pass to a wide open shooter, or another player coming from the other side almost every time. Stop the "Hero Ball" Tyler has, but he needs the others to do the same.

2024 Resume dominance

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 am

Really looking forward to what phantom or anyone else can tell us why fish is so great and why we should all be so happy with how this team is playing. We heard a lot earlier so I can only assume there is great stuff within this program that my unsupportive mind is just unable to comprehend....

Each year I’m dumb enough to think this year will be different. #-o

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 am

Isn't if fascinating how we shoot 26 for 30 at the FT line one night, and then a few nights later
we miss 14 out of 31? And several of these were the front end of a 1 and 1.

By the way, the 7 ft 1 inch kid from Kalispell was tough. He was coordinated and it was almost
comical to watch poor Sam at 6 feet 4 attempt to guard him.

The kid is a senior, so I just wondered why he went to PSU and not MSU or UM?

Anyone know? Just curious.

Yea, Reno isn't looking too interesting right now, is it?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 am

aucat wrote:Isn't if fascinating how we shoot 26 for 30 at the FT line one night, and then a few nights later

By the way, the 7 ft 1 inch kid from Kalispell was tough. He was coordinated and it was almost

Ryan Edwards went to Gonzaga for 4 years and is a graduate transfer to Portland State. His older brother Jeff played for the Bobcats.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 am

ilovethecats wrote:Really looking forward to what phantom or anyone else can tell us why fish is so great and why we should all be so happy with how this team is playing. We heard a lot earlier so I can only assume there is great stuff within this program that my unsupportive mind is just unable to comprehend....

Each year I’m dumb enough to think this year will be different. #-o
No, you're right. Fish did a miserable job of making free throws and layups today.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks Colter!

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 am

Phantom, you make a good point. Poor Brian Fish is not the one missing free throws and layups.

However, it all comes back to recruiting. When you watch the better teams, they just don't seem to miss
free throws and layups.

I used to play ball and I was a dang good free throw shooter. I would always aim to have the ball just clear
the front rim and could consistently shoot 90% from the line.

I have no idea why good shooters miss so many FTs. Harold Frey is obviously an outstanding shooter, yet he
missed a BUNCH of critical free throws last night.

I compare it to playing golf. You tend to hit better shots when you really concentrate and just don't
carelessly take a swing. If you have great shooting form, then you should be able to step up to the
line and consistently make the shots--PROVIDED you concentrate! JMO

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:31 am

aucat wrote:Phantom, you make a good point. Poor Brian Fish is not the one missing free throws and layups.

However, it all comes back to recruiting. When you watch the better teams, they just don't seem to miss
free throws and layups.

I used to play ball and I was a dang good free throw shooter. I would always aim to have the ball just clear
the front rim and could consistently shoot 90% from the line.

I have no idea why good shooters miss so many FTs. Harold Frey is obviously an outstanding shooter, yet he
missed a BUNCH of critical free throws last night.

I compare it to playing golf. You tend to hit better shots when you really concentrate and just don't
carelessly take a swing. If you have great shooting form, then you should be able to step up to the
line and consistently make the shots--PROVIDED you concentrate! JMO
On Thursday, the Bobcats made their first 17 free throws. If they make free throws and layups in the first half yesterday, they have a big lead t halftime. You can talk recruiting and hindsight is always 20/20. The guy that killed the Bobcats on the boards yesterday was Hollins, who is listed at 6'6 210 pounds. The Bobcats isolated the big kid and got him in foul trouble. He only had 4 rebounds.
I've said before, I'd like to see the Bobcats get a post that's about 6'8 230 and athletic. Obviously they need a shooter or two. They've offered the one shooter, hopefully they'll get him.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Maybe my memory is a bit off but the one team I somewhat remember is the 86ish CATS with Domako and I think Tryg Anderson... Wasn't Tom 6'10" and Tryg 7 '1" . What happened that we can't get some of that length... Really don't remember Tryg as being this massive roadblock or stopper but heck, he was big in the paint...

Took my son Josh to a game in Reno and we got to meet several of them after the game. Josh was pretty much in awe. He was about 5'5" at the time. ..

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:50 pm

RickRund wrote:Maybe my memory is a bit off but the one team I somewhat remember is the 86ish CATS with Domako and I think Tryg Anderson... Wasn't Tom 6'10" and Tryg 7 '1" . What happened that we can't get some of that length... Really don't remember Tryg as being this massive roadblock or stopper but heck, he was big in the paint...

Took my son Josh to a game in Reno and we got to meet several of them after the game. Josh was pretty much in awe. He was about 5'5" at the time. ..
If I recall correctly, Tryg Johnson and Greg Walters, who both were about 7', came the same year. Walters was a bigger project, I think he had about 1 year of basketball before coming to MSU, but he developed into a decent center after a couple of years. Tryg had an impact almost immediately.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1985.html

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Rich K wrote:
RickRund wrote:Maybe my memory is a bit off but the one team I somewhat remember is the 86ish CATS with Domako and I think Tryg Anderson... Wasn't Tom 6'10" and Tryg 7 '1" . What happened that we can't get some of that length... Really don't remember Tryg as being this massive roadblock or stopper but heck, he was big in the paint...

If I recall correctly, Tryg Johnson and Greg Walters, who both were about 7', came the same year. Walters was a bigger project, I think he had about 1 year of basketball before coming to MSU, but he developed into a decent center after a couple of years. Tryg had an impact almost immediately.
Damako and a couple other kids on that team could shoot. But if memory serves me correctly, they were from small schools like Class A? There was a rebounding machine on that team too. Fellows? He played for a small school too, right? The 85 team made the tournament with a losing record.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Damako and a couple other kids on that team could shoot. But if memory serves me correctly, they were from small schools like Class A? There was a rebounding machine on that team too. Fellows? He played for a small school too, right? The 85 team made the tournament with a losing record.
Domako was from Minnesota. Kral and Shann Ferch were from Livingston. Jeff Epperly was from Kalispell or Whitefish? Scott Hurley was from somewhere in Montana, Great Falls???? Fellows was from Choteau? Hashley was from Big Sandy.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

MBB vs Portland State

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Jeff Epperly was from Kalispell. I believe Tom Domako was from Livonia, Michigan. Great shooter from game 1. That tournament year was what lit the fans on fire and we started to pack the fieldhouse. Need fun players to watch (we have a couple) and a few signature wins. Cannot believe we dropped that game to Portland St., who was a pretty good team in pre-conference, by basically missing free throws.

seattlecat95
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by seattlecat95 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 pm

aucat wrote:Isn't if fascinating how we shoot 26 for 30 at the FT line one night, and then a few nights later

Edwards didn't hurt us like he did in Portland. I didn't see the whole game but I thought Sam and Konner did a decent job on him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 pm

I actually don’t think we played too bad overall, the last two games have looked a lot better. Still have spurts that make you got wtf but playing more like a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 am

CelticCat wrote:I actually don’t think we played too bad overall, the last two games have looked a lot better. Still have spurts that make you got wtf but playing more like a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
First half Saturday, they played very well. However, the missed layups and free throws allowed the score to be much closer than play was. Then when the bad stretch hit, it spelled doom.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:15 am

Rich K wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Domako was from Minnesota. Kral and Shann Ferch were from Livingston. Jeff Epperly was from Kalispell or Whitefish? Scott Hurley was from somewhere in Montana, Great Falls???? Fellows was from Choteau? Hashley was from Big Sandy.
Hurly was from Anaconda. From the same time period was also Scott Pieper a 6-7 forward from Whitefish I believe. He originally signed with a Frontier school but Starner stolen him when he needed to fill out the roster. Was a solid PF off the bench for 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 am

Edwards was recruited hard by Huse and Tinkle out of high school. Even after committing to Gonzaga he took a couple unofficial trips to UM. Both coaches thought he would bounce back to a lower level school so they continued to follow him. This I know. I am told though when he left Gonzaga w one year left of eligibility neither DeCuire nor Fish made a serious offer towards him. The nock on him has always been his foot speed. Personally I don't think he would get off the bench for Fish because of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 am

The only thing Edwards had in high school was height, not very skilled, and pretty soft. At 7'1" in Montana that's enough. Basically a hopeful project at Gonzaga and he was pretty much out of shape for his entire time there. Needed to find the weight room and drop a few lbs. to be a more effective player.
At 7'1" in the Big Sky 8.7 ppg and 4 reb really not that impressive.
Last edited by rosco_cat on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm

rosco_cat wrote:The only thing Edwards had in high school was height, not very skilled, and pretty soft. At 7'1" in Montana that's enough. Basically a hopeful project at Gonzaga and he was pretty much out of shape for his entire time there. Needed to find the weight room and drop a few lbs. to be a more effective player.
Looks like he benefited greatly from excellent coaching at Gonzaga to become a decent player. As mslacat noted, he probably wouldn't have been able to execute Fish's defense and would have had a fruitless and frustrating season here.