Two Games--Two Crowds

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Two Games--Two Crowds

Post by aucat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Let me preface my comments by stating that I am an enthusiastic fan for BOTH the men and women's bb games, and have
season tickets to both.

Today we had a double header. The men played at 2:00 pm, followed immediately by the women at 4:30 pm. I took my grandson.
He predicted a small crowd, telling me that lots of people would be skiing, but we were very pleasantly surprised. There was a
very nice, boisterous crowd on hand with a big MSU spirit band playing. Unfortunately, the MSU men were blown out.

Then the really nice crowd disappeared, leaving a respectable but much smaller crowd on hand for the women. Of course, the great MSU Spirit band did not abandon their team. The Lady Cats
won their 29th straight home game in a thrilling OT game over Stephen Austin. As for me, at least on this day, the men's game
was downright boring and uninspiring. The loud, raucous crowd pretty much went silent about midway into the first half.

The women's game,on the other hand, was a thrilling nail biter the entire way. For entertainment value, there was no contest.
The women came out on top, hands down.

So I had to wonder, did all those Bobcat fans really have somewhere they absolutely had to get to that they could not hang around
another two hours to cheer on the Lady Bobcats?

What a slap in the face if they didn't. Shame on you for not supporting your Montana State Lady Bobcats. THere was no extra charge and you were already in the arena for crying out loud.

Obviously, I wish the men had done as well. But you "fans" who walked out on the Lady Bobcats today missed a great game.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Two Games--Two Crowds

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:30 am

Second that.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Watched most of both games on TV yesterday. Both games were pretty ugly, but at least the Lady Bobcats are competitive. If it does not change (i.e. men improve a LOT), I would rather go to the Lady's games the rest of this year.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:33 pm

I was there for both games, and I can not get enough of Binford's Bobcats! She has the right were I have always hoped for it to be at the top and each year she just reloads. It is a great style of basketball and one that every blue and gold blooded Bobcat fans should get behind. Even yesterdays game SFU just got in the Bobcat's face and played as physical a game as I think the Cat's have faced in a while. SFU just uglified the game, but our women just kept coming back with swagger and confindence to get the win. If you left you lost. This team has a chance to take the Big Sky crown again so get on board!

BTW If you think they are good this year wait until next, those two transfers sitting on the bench are going to make BIG waves in the Big Sky next year. Get on board now!

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:01 pm

I'll raise my hand that I attended the men's game and left. My wife made us dinner plans with good friends, just a timing thing, I am only one person though. I was really hoping to catch the women's game too while in town.

The men really have some major issues to figure out. Does Fish really have to scream the whole game? No one on that team looks like they are having fun.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 am

And then there were those of us that only went to the women's game. Someone else judging what I did with the rest of my day.... pointless

BobcatFan68
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatFan68 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Bocephus wrote:I'll raise my hand that I attended the men's game and left. My wife made us dinner plans with good friends, just a timing thing, I am only one person though. I was really hoping to catch the women's game too while in town.

The men really have some major issues to figure out. Does Fish really have to scream the whole game? No one on that team looks like they are having fun.
I totally agree--he screams so much I feel bad--it is constant and distracting. As a former player, they are more worried about making a mistake than playing the game. I get as a coach you have to yell but seriously let them play.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:23 pm

BobcatFan68 wrote:
Bocephus wrote:I'll raise my hand that I attended the men's game and left. My wife made us dinner plans with good friends, just a timing thing, I am only one person though. I was really hoping to catch the women's game too while in town.

I totally agree--he screams so much I feel bad--it is constant and distracting. As a former player, they are more worried about making a mistake than playing the game. I get as a coach you have to yell but seriously let them play.
Not only do I question the amount of yelling, but sometimes the content. On an opposition’s free throw, Fish had yelled “who has the shooter”. Sorry, but I don’t see other coaches at this level reminding their guys to block out on the free throw. If you yell too much, the important stuff will get lost with the pointless stuff.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Cataholic wrote:
BobcatFan68 wrote:

Not only do I question the amount of yelling, but sometimes the content. On an opposition’s free throw, Fish had yelled “who has the shooter”. Sorry, but I don’t see other coaches at this level reminding their guys to block out on the free throw. If you yell too much, the important stuff will get lost with the pointless stuff.
I keep reading that our players do not communicate well on defense. Maybe Fish feels he has to do that since the players won't?

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BobcatFan68 wrote:

I keep reading that our players do not communicate well on defense. Maybe Fish feels he has to do that since the players won't?
Maybe their lack of communication stems from being distracted by the constant yelling of Fish. I like that he is a fired up individual, but I think a little less screaming and a little more scheming would do him well!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BobcatFan68 wrote:

Who blocks out the shooter is something I learned in grade school. It is ingrained in you for the rest of your life. It is like yelling from the sideline “don’t forget to dribble”. Okay, that is a slight exaggeration but do you see Coach K telling his guys “who has the shooter”? Our guys already know that (or they shouldn’t be D1). Anybody who is yelled at 24/7 will eventually start to block out the content. It just does not mean that much anymore.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:46 am

I am trying not to say anything that can be perceived as negative towards Coach Fish, because I get lambasted any time I do. That said since this is a topic in this thread, I will break for this topic. I will admit a couple times Saturday I did think about yelling "shut up sit down and let them play". The problem was the ticket person did not understand where I wanted to sit, and she put me ground level, under the basket mere feet away from the bench, so I got an up close and personal show of Fish's moves, and it got old REAL QUICK. (FYI normally I like to sit opposite the bench close to mid court but on the Bobcat side mid way up the lower bleachers & yes I get persnickety the older I get). There was on incident though that had me shaking my head. Shultz was in the game, the Bobcats were on defense and on the far court away from the Bobcat bench. SCSB was looking to work the ball inside as they did all that night and Fish yelled instructions, all the way down the court, to Luke "Luke, blah blah blah". Shultz stopped just for a brief second glancing at Fish with a look of "whaaaaaat" and his man blew by him to score. I do think Fish need's to micro manage just a little less and let the players play and get into the flow of the game.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:10 am

Can't really tell from watching on the computer, but what is his demeanor when they are playing well vs. when they aren't? Who went to the Omaha game and the UCSB games?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 am

Interesting about Coach Fish's style of yelling all game (I have not been able to see it much in person)..... The first couple years, I figured it was just because the team was fairly young and learning his new systems. I thought the non-stop yelling all game would eventually go away... sounds like that is not the case though.

Don't know how I feel about it (if its good or bad)... the players all seem to like him... but that would be difficult to handle every single game...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 pm

I have witnessed Fish's coaching both at home and at several away games including both Reno tournaments - albeit brief in that forum. Initially, I felt he had a much better rapport with the players than the previous coach. Over the past two years, his style has not adapted to the team's development and it has become a distraction. Micromanagement is not an effective success strategy. I agree the team needs to have fun and enjoy the game and Fish needs to button it up.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:47 pm

aucat wrote:Let me preface my comments by stating that I am an enthusiastic fan for BOTH the men and women's bb games, and have
season tickets to both.

Today we had a double header. The men played at 2:00 pm, followed immediately by the women at 4:30 pm. I took my grandson.
He predicted a small crowd, telling me that lots of people would be skiing, but we were very pleasantly surprised. There was a
very nice, boisterous crowd on hand with a big MSU spirit band playing. Unfortunately, the MSU men were blown out.

Then the really nice crowd disappeared, leaving a respectable but much smaller crowd on hand for the women. Of course, the great MSU Spirit band did not abandon their team. The Lady Cats
won their 29th straight home game in a thrilling OT game over Stephen Austin. As for me, at least on this day, the men's game
was downright boring and uninspiring. The loud, raucous crowd pretty much went silent about midway into the first half.

The women's game,on the other hand, was a thrilling nail biter the entire way. For entertainment value, there was no contest.
The women came out on top, hands down.

So I had to wonder, did all those Bobcat fans really have somewhere they absolutely had to get to that they could not hang around
another two hours to cheer on the Lady Bobcats?

What a slap in the face if they didn't. Shame on you for not supporting your Montana State Lady Bobcats. THere was no extra charge and you were already in the arena for crying out loud.

Obviously, I wish the men had done as well. But you "fans" who walked out on the Lady Bobcats today missed a great game.
I was disappointed as well.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:55 pm

mslacatfan wrote:Interesting about Coach Fish's style of yelling all game (I have not been able to see it much in person)..... The first couple years, I figured it was just because the team was fairly young and learning his new systems. I thought the non-stop yelling all game would eventually go away... sounds like that is not the case though.

Don't know how I feel about it (if its good or bad)... the players all seem to like him... but that would be difficult to handle every single game...

I've played, reffed and watched more basketball games than I can count, and I also have to wonder sometimes, "What is he yelling about?"

And what happened to the FIshbit??

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:02 pm

high school boys draw bigger crowds than high school girls. college men draw bigger crowds than college women. nba men draw bigger crowds than wnba women. it may not be right. it certainly isn't fair. but it is reality.

even UConn women who win a national championship every damn year don't draw as many as the men do! though they are closer than most...

if anything, MSU is a perfect example of the way sports are viewed in this country. we have a VERY good womens program and a very mediocre mens program and the men will get bigger crowds every day of the week.