Attendance at MSU basketball games--Mystery

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Attendance at MSU basketball games--Mystery

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 am

They did the Fish Bowl last year and had several give-aways and prizes during the year. The Fish Bowl worked for a couple games. Poor student attendance is not because of a lack of effort or ideas by the athletic dep't. It's a lack of interest by students. You can't force them to like basketball more.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:Good idea on meeting the students in the dorm or hosting a Cat Chat in the sub open to everyone. Coach and player interaction with fans and students always good. I always enjoy hearing Coach Binford and Fish talk.

I also like the idea of hosting a tourney. If you could get a couple big school participants I bet you could draw in a good crowd.

I think we miss opportunities too. Last year the State Class C tourney was in town Belgrade (girls) and Bozeman (boys). Probably over a 1000 kids and parents from small town Montana across the state at each event. I remember the Bobcat girls were playing one of their late season games on run to the title. I called MSU and asked if anyone had sent a letter to each of the schools inviting kids and parents to the campus to tour a department of interest and a free ticket to see a game while in town. In my mind also builds a connection with future students and goodwill across the state. Basically I found no one who was willing to make that happen but I was told it was OK if I wanted to do so?!?! My point is there are always events like that happening in the area and we should get folks in that way also.

Got to start somewhere and build on success.
Sorry to hear about the lack of interest to at least think about that very good idea. It would have had relatively minimal cost, and would have built tons of interest with basketball-ready families. I had hoped those days of lethargy had passed. Did you take that directly to Leon Costello? I have found him very receptive, and he took care of one issue I raised in a week — and it had gone on for a long time before.

Yes I know Leon and he is receptive to new ideas and suggestions. Always good to talk to. No I did not talk to Leon but will in the future as you suggest. Thanks for reminding me. And I will keep trying and suggesting ideas to fill the house if we can.

There's been several threads on BN about athletics and outreach. I'd suggest taking new ideas to Bethany Cordell as well. She will listen.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:33 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:Good idea on meeting the students in the dorm or hosting a Cat Chat in the sub open to everyone. Coach and player interaction with fans and students always good. I always enjoy hearing Coach Binford and Fish talk.

I also like the idea of hosting a tourney. If you could get a couple big school participants I bet you could draw in a good crowd.

I think we miss opportunities too. Last year the State Class C tourney was in town Belgrade (girls) and Bozeman (boys). Probably over a 1000 kids and parents from small town Montana across the state at each event. I remember the Bobcat girls were playing one of their late season games on run to the title. I called MSU and asked if anyone had sent a letter to each of the schools inviting kids and parents to the campus to tour a department of interest and a free ticket to see a game while in town. In my mind also builds a connection with future students and goodwill across the state. Basically I found no one who was willing to make that happen but I was told it was OK if I wanted to do so?!?! My point is there are always events like that happening in the area and we should get folks in that way also.

Got to start somewhere and build on success.
Sorry to hear about the lack of interest to at least think about that very good idea. It would have had relatively minimal cost, and would have built tons of interest with basketball-ready families. I had hoped those days of lethargy had passed. Did you take that directly to Leon Costello? I have found him very receptive, and he took care of one issue I raised in a week — and it had gone on for a long time before.

There's been several threads on BN about athletics and outreach. I'd suggest taking new ideas to Bethany Cordell as well. She will listen.

Yes I know Leon and he is receptive to new ideas and suggestions. Always good to talk to. No I did not talk to Leon but will in the future as you suggest. Thanks for reminding me. And I will keep trying and suggesting ideas to fill the house if we can.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:57 am

Winning and being able to see in state kids play are two important cogs of the wheel for me.
Two Montana girls on the roster. One lead double A in Montana in scoring in high school and won team awards last year but has not seen much for time yet this year.
With more work one could be a contributing center.

In the 80's couldn't wait to drive across the state to see the Ferch boys, Domako, Fellows play ball as an example.

My two cents. In state kids give a feeling of tangibility to Montana high school kids and are a positive to the program as well.
Not a knock on out of state kids, each are part of the equation.

This day and age also has a lot of diluted options for the masses to do on any given day that compete for peoples time.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 am

kwcat wrote:Winning and being able to see in state kids play are two important cogs of the wheel for me.
Two Montana girls on the roster. One lead double A in Montana in scoring in high school and won team awards last year but has not seen much for time yet this year.
With more work one could be a contributing center.

In the 80's couldn't wait to drive across the state to see the Ferch boys, Domako, Fellows play ball as an example.

My two cents. In state kids give a feeling of tangibility to Montana high school kids and are a positive to the program as well.
Not a knock on out of state kids, each are part of the equation.

This day and age also has a lot of diluted options for the masses to do on any given day that compete for peoples time.
Yes! Meanwhile, Nevada has THREE Montana kids on their roster, two from Class C and just kicked the Cats arse a couple of days ago. When entire towns turn out the lights to go watch their kids play in the district, division and state tournaments, why can't the coaches figure this out? When Robin from that HUGE town in northeast Montana dominated this conference, where did he get most of his girls from? Where were most of Heathcoates players from?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 am

Hawks86 wrote:They did the Fish Bowl last year and had several give-aways and prizes during the year. The Fish Bowl worked for a couple games. Poor student attendance is not because of a lack of effort or ideas by the athletic dep't. It's a lack of interest by students. You can't force them to like basketball more.
you kind of can. win more games, win the conference and make a few dances and I promise the fans will be there; students included.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Catlady wrote:
KittieKop wrote:Winning puts butts in the seats and, sadly, since at least the mid-1990's, neither of the MSU teams were doing much of it.

Even in the early 90's during Durham when I was at MSU we had good crowds and a decent sized student section.

Win games, create excitement and the crowds will come back.
Amen....... if you had 13 Tyler Halls and they were all from Montana that would be great, but winning fills the seats. I couldn’t tell you how many Montana kids are on the team, but I can tell you that both teams won yesterday. Why would we limit our potential by focusing on basketball players in one of the least populated states in the country? If you win, they will come. Recruiting is a national effort now....... get the best qualified players available. On and off the court you find the best players possible. At the end of the day they represent Montana State! Binford is going to Washington, Minnesota and Colorado to find talent. If there’s a great player from Montana that’s great, but I’m not going to handcuff a coach with trying to find 3-4 players from Montana. I don’t even think Binford is from Montana. Lots changed from the 60’s and 70’s.
Coming out of high school there's at least a dozen Montana kids that can play football at this level every year. There might be one that can play basketball and that kid often ends up out of state! The women are a little different story, and I would like to see Trisha get more of our share of Montana kids. If you want a roster full of Montana kids on the men's side, prepare to lose.... A Bunch!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:53 pm

MSU01 wrote:Four words: Bring back the blimp!

Also, I wonder if it wouldn't help out some to have more mens/womens doubleheaders in the same venue during conference play instead of the two teams always playing apart except for the Cat/Griz weekend. For those of us who can only attend a few games a year traveling from out of town, this could allow for more 'bang for the buck' instead of always having to choose one or the other.
I hear ya but now that I'm a local and a season ticket holder, the Thursday / Saturday rotation works great for us! I also like Saturday afternoon basketball. It frees up the evening for something else.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz