Portland State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Portland State

Post by wapiti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:17 pm

How good is Portland State going to be this year in conference?

They lost to Butler by 2 and just beat Stanford by 9.
Lost to Duke by 18. It was still close half way through the 2nd half.

To give some reference I think they are in a tournament that is in Portland. So they do have a home court advantage.

Which brings up a 2nd question.
What are the odds we could get a big time program, like Duke, to play in Bozeman?
I think the game would sell out.

Pecos24

Re: Portland State

Post by Pecos24 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Not sure if PSU ever has home court advantage, only if the other team’s fans don’t show up. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:46 pm

wapiti wrote:How good is Portland State going to be this year in conference?

To give some reference I think they are in a tournament that is in Portland. So they do have a home court advantage.

What are the odds we could get a big time program, like Duke, to play in Bozeman?
I can't imagine any scenario in which an elite program such as Duke, would ever play in Bozeman.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:02 pm

John K wrote:
wapiti wrote:How good is Portland State going to be this year in conference?

I can't imagine any scenario in which an elite program such as Duke, would ever play in Bozeman.
$$$$ talks.
If the fieldhouse would sell out for Duke and the average ticket price is $20 that is ~$170,000 in revenue. (Assuming the fieldhouse seats 8455.)
How much would it take to get them to come? Would 100,000 do i?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:04 pm

John K wrote:I can't imagine any scenario in which an elite program such as Duke, would ever play in Bozeman.
A very, very rich sponsor and to somehow attract several highly ranked teams. It helps to have an exotic location like Hawaii or the Bahamas. I heard this is the last year of the Great Alaska Shootout. Maybe they lost their sponsor or Anchorage isn't exotic enough anymore. So yeah...not ever going to happen in Bozeman.

The only advantage Portland State had in the PK-80 tournament was they got to sleep in their own beds. The games were in the Moda Center and Memorial Coliseum which are vastly different than the Stott Center or where-ever it is they're playing while their new arena is being built. PSU didn't have a huge throng of fans rooting for them from what I saw.

Portland State is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the Big Sky this season, and with a new arena, probably for years to come.

Compare what the Vikings have done to MSU, who is considered a league favorite, this pre-season. MSU had fairly decisive losses to good but not great teams in Utah State, Louisiana Tech, and Fresno State. Meanwhile Portland State beat Utah State, had the lead against No. 1 Duke with 14 minutes left, lost by 2 to Butler, and beat Pac-12 Stanford. EWU also beat Stanford I think. UM beat Pitt (who isn't very good but they are in the ACC. There's been some other pretty big wins by other league teams. So the Big Sky's got some good teams this year. Not sure MSU is going to be one of them based on recent results. Of course conference season is a whole 'nother can of worms so we'll see.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Need a sponsor like PK-80 Phil Knight. Good luck finding someone like that in Bozeman.

As far as Portland St, they will be a handful for all of the Big Sky.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Wow, 12 of the 15 players on PSU's roster are either juniors or seniors. That kind of experience should serve them well - they only went 7-11 in conference play last year, but from what I remember lost a bunch of close games early on and were probably a bit better than the record would suggest.

sacstateman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by sacstateman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 am

MSU01 wrote:Wow, 12 of the 15 players on PSU's roster are either juniors or seniors. That kind of experience should serve them well - they only went 7-11 in conference play last year, but from what I remember lost a bunch of close games early on and were probably a bit better than the record would suggest.

11 of them are JC tranfers....explains all the juniors and seniors.....

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:52 am

Portland State beat PAC 12 Cal at Berkeley 106 - 81

At the moment I do not see anyone in the Big Sky beating PSU, based on what PSU has done in non-conference play.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:39 am

A couple of years ago PSU had a big year and went to the NCAAs and did well as I recall.

Regarding sponsors, we used to have a Holiday tournament that had sponsors.
I recall attending a game around 1995 when MSU beat Mississippi State and the
arena was packed, even though students were not in session.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:25 pm

They run and gun like Loyola Marymount did back in the 90's....or like Sac St women do. They press and run and shoot 3's with impunity! They all handle the ball well, and they have lots of depth.

2024 Resume dominance

orsalak

Post by orsalak » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Portland State has put together a terrific schedule. They also seem to have a team that can handle such a schedule. 10-3 with no blow out loses (Duke loss was not as bad as the 18 seems). Big Sky basketball is getting better I hope MSU can keep up.

22-0

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:21 pm

orsalak wrote:Portland State has put together a terrific schedule. They also seem to have a team that can handle such a schedule. 10-3 with no blow out loses (Duke loss was not as bad as the 18 seems). Big Sky basketball is getting better I hope MSU can keep up.
Not if we keep losing No. 1 picks and don't find a big man who can walk and chew gum at the same time!

2024 Resume dominance

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:35 am

I don’t expect Portland State to have an easy time in conference play. They may end up winning it but they will be pushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaredkuehn
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by jaredkuehn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:25 pm

I'll play devils advocate here. PSU has had a pretty impressive pre-season, I'll give them that. Personally, I'll wait to see a full season of work before anointing them as a BSC favorite. The coach is in his first year, up to this point there is little or no film on them and they are running a unique style of play.

When they get into conference play and see the same teams multiple times, I think BSC teams will figure out how to scout for them. They'll definitely challenge BSC Schools, but I fully expect them to be less impressive in conference play than they've been in pre-season play.

Three of the games on their schedule were because of the invite to the PK 80. They also had Willamette (DIII) Portland Bible College (NCCAA) and Linfield College (DIII)...So, yeah. They had a strong schedule this year due to the Phil's invite, but doubt they'll be able to replicate that in future years.

The new gym will be a huge upgrade, but I doubt it does much to improve their status both in the BSC and nationally. PSU basketball in Portland ranks way behind the Blazers, Ducks, Beavers and Pilots in terms of relevance. They'll have a really nice gym, but will still struggle to put 1500 fans in it on any given night. UP has a great little, on-campus arena and they play in a higher profile conference, but they still struggle with attendance outside of their home game against Gonzaga.

Until I see otherwise, they'll continue to do what they have always done in the BSC...they'll produce a contender once every 4-5 years, but will struggle to have any consistency on a year to year basis.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:36 am

jaredkuehn wrote:I'll play devils advocate here. PSU has had a pretty impressive pre-season, I'll give them that. Personally, I'll wait to see a full season of work before anointing them as a BSC favorite. The coach is in his first year, up to this point there is little or no film on them and they are running a unique style of play.

When they get into conference play and see the same teams multiple times, I think BSC teams will figure out how to scout for them. They'll definitely challenge BSC Schools, but I fully expect them to be less impressive in conference play than they've been in pre-season play.

Three of the games on their schedule were because of the invite to the PK 80. They also had Willamette (DIII) Portland Bible College (NCCAA) and Linfield College (DIII)...So, yeah. They had a strong schedule this year due to the Phil's invite, but doubt they'll be able to replicate that in future years.

The new gym will be a huge upgrade, but I doubt it does much to improve their status both in the BSC and nationally. PSU basketball in Portland ranks way behind the Blazers, Ducks, Beavers and Pilots in terms of relevance. They'll have a really nice gym, but will still struggle to put 1500 fans in it on any given night. UP has a great little, on-campus arena and they play in a higher profile conference, but they still struggle with attendance outside of their home game against Gonzaga.

Until I see otherwise, they'll continue to do what they have always done in the BSC...they'll produce a contender once every 4-5 years, but will struggle to have any consistency on a year to year basis.
The devils advocate wins on the opening conference game PSU plays. and against Sac State no less.