MBB @ Louisiana Tech

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

MBB @ Louisiana Tech

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:59 am

Bobcats face off against LA Tech tonight 7pm their time (6pm MT according to msubocats.com). LA seems to be a high scoring team that is weak defensively, so this might be a shootout. It appears it is part of the Cancun Challenge that we will be participating in. Interestingly, LA has a history of finding great players, including Paul Milsap in 2004. Espn says we only have a 20% chance of winning. Here's a link to a story I found regarding the game. http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-ba ... 17aaa.html

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB @ Louisiana Tech

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Finally the opening act is over and we can enjoy the main event of the evening! Go Bobcats!

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Tyler Hall is out this game, I didn't hear why... Playing tough so far early in the 1st 6-5

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Is he not playing at all?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

msu_agfan wrote:Tyler Hall is out this game, I didn't hear why... Playing tough so far early in the 1st 6-5
Ankle injury - think he's been battling it since the opener in Great Falls. Probably not the worst idea to sit him and not risk further injury until he's 100%.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:33 pm

MSU01 wrote:
msu_agfan wrote:Tyler Hall is out this game, I didn't hear why... Playing tough so far early in the 1st 6-5
Ankle injury - think he's been battling it since the opener in Great Falls. Probably not the worst idea to sit him and not risk further injury until he's 100%.
Makes sense, at the start of a long road trip here too. Tough team to beat without him though.

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:39 pm

We've turned it over several times and fouled even more.. can't believe it is even close. They've recently learned to drive in on us and we'll send them to the line. 24-25 LAtech ahead now. 5 minutes left in 1st half.

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 pm

MSU down by 4, 31-35 at the half.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Like where we are without our best player on the road here.

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 pm

We lost 58-71. Good game for Bonton and Harald Frey. LaTech was a high scoring team coming into this one, so we did good at holding them to 71 I suppose. LaTech had 34 freethrow attempts, we had like 14.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Was probably going to be a tough one to win even with Hall. Might payoff in the long run as some other guys had to be relied on. I sure hope Tyler heals fast, but no need to rush him at this point in the season.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Was probably going to be a tough one to win even with Hall. Might payoff in the long run as some other guys had to be relied on. I sure hope Tyler heals fast, but no need to rush him at this point in the season.
It was, but if we shoot decent in the 2nd, we're right there. Glad he sat though, if he needed it, as we're on the road here forever it seems. My .02 is that it's going to be easy to live Isaac Bonton, and that we'll be ok as the season goes if we can tighten up just a few things defensively.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:It was, but if we shoot decent in the 2nd, we're right there. Glad he sat though, if he needed it, as we're on the road here forever it seems. My .02 is that it's going to be easy to live Isaac Bonton, and that we'll be ok as the season goes if we can tighten up just a few things defensively.
Bonton is a special talent. He makes a lot of freshman mistakes. He doesn't value the ball enough and tries to make the spectacular play when a simple one will do. But he will get it figured out and he will be an excellent player for us. I'm really amazed we got him.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:28 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Would have probably made sense to have Hall sit out the MT Western game rather than re-injure the ankle, although they probably wouldn't have won without him.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 am

msu_agfan wrote:Bobcats face off against LA Tech tonight 7pm their time (6pm MT according to msubocats.com). LA seems to be a high scoring team that is weak defensively, so this might be a shootout. It appears it is part of the Cancun Challenge that we will be participating in. Interestingly, LA has a history of finding great players, including Paul Milsap in 2004. Espn says we only have a 20% chance of winning. Here's a link to a story I found regarding the game. http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-ba ... 17aaa.html
Are you forgetting Karl Malone? Or was he before your time?

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:29 am

rosco_cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Would have probably made sense to have Hall sit out the MT Western game rather than re-injure the ankle, although they probably wouldn't have won without him.
Considering I'm seeing in other threads that Tyler is no longer the Bobcats best player, we should have been able to win without him.

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:24 pm

John K wrote:
msu_agfan wrote:Bobcats face off against LA Tech tonight 7pm their time (6pm MT according to msubocats.com). LA seems to be a high scoring team that is weak defensively, so this might be a shootout. It appears it is part of the Cancun Challenge that we will be participating in. Interestingly, LA has a history of finding great players, including Paul Milsap in 2004. Espn says we only have a 20% chance of winning. Here's a link to a story I found regarding the game. http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-ba ... 17aaa.html
I heard the reference to Karl in the name of their arena. I was not following basketball until Karl was already a superstar with John Stockton at the Jazz.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
John K wrote:
I heard the reference to Karl in the name of their arena. I was not following basketball until Karl was already a superstar with John Stockton at the Jazz.
Coincidentally, Malone would have been playing basketball for LA Tech, when we beat them in the 1984 NC game.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 pm

phantom wrote:
rosco_cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Considering I'm seeing in other threads that Tyler is no longer the Bobcats best player, we should have been able to win without him.
Check the box score for that particular game.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm

rosco_cat wrote:
phantom wrote:
rosco_cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Check the box score for that particular game.
I see the boxscore every game. I wasn't referring to your comment, but the silliness in other threads where people were declaring Harry the best player on the team. Don't get me wrong, I love Harry's game. But there hasn't been a point the last two years that if we are picking sides and I get to pick first, I'm taking Tyler. You?