Omaha vs. MSU - Good Win Against a Good Team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Omaha vs. MSU - Good Win Against a Good Team

Post by PapaG » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Omaha played in their conference championship game last year. It's a nice win.

The Bobcat backcourt is special.

Hall with 19, Frey with 29.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Omaha vs. MSU - Good Win Against a Good Team

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm

We really look athletic this year and should make some noise this year! Tyler’s shot was off for much of the game but we had multiple guys step up. Harold is going to be all conference. He really looked good.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Little clunky at times, over officiated, but i agree, our team has some different dimensions to it. Blevins gives us more inside - out athleticism, and can guard and rebound. With Bonton and Klines able to spell the starting guards, they'll be better late, as they were in this game. Hall had a lockdown defensive sequence to get it to overtime, then took over the game for 2 key possessions to win it. I like how we're built, for sure. I think Omaha is pretty good, but their non conference record is gonna be ugly. Oklahoma, new Mexico, Washington, Kansas, tcu. Yikes.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 pm

They definitely have a better RPI than us. Nice wi. Great Falls is a great Bobcat town. Hope this is a yearly game going forward.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:07 am

How was the attendance?

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 am

autocat wrote:How was the attendance?
Over 4,000...Kids deserve that for home games in Bozeman.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 am

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:48 am

Nice win last night against a solid program. I do think we need to work on a few things....our inside game and penetration to the basket....I saw a several missed layups...that will kill you in a tight game.

I saw streaks where the Cats looked unstoppable...followed by very inconsistent play....letting Omaha back in the game with less than 3 minutes left is frustrating.

Hopefully the guys can focus on improving in those areas and I think we'll be in the thick of it at Reno.

Overall, I'm optimistic...best Cat team in years.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:54 am

Nice win over a team MSU has lost to each of the last two seasons and will play again in Omaha next month. Not good to see a double digit lead lost in the last 5 minutes like that, so hopefully they can improve in that situation as the season progresses. Most importantly, what a great idea by MSU Athletics to play the game in Great Falls and get around double the crowd the game would've gotten had it been played in Bozeman. Hopefully some of the people who attended last night will consider taking weekend trips to Bozeman for basketball games as well as for football!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:56 am

MSU01 wrote:Nice win over a team MSU has lost to each of the last two seasons and will play again in Omaha next month. Not good to see a double digit lead lost in the last 5 minutes like that, so hopefully they can improve in that situation as the season progresses. Most importantly, what a great idea by MSU Athletics to play the game in Great Falls and get around double the crowd the game would've gotten had it been played in Bozeman. Hopefully some of the people who attended last night will consider taking weekend trips to Bozeman for basketball games as well as for football!
I agree. Certainly things to tighten up, but we are as deep and talented as we've been since prior to the huse era. Could make for an exciting winter.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Big win last night against a solid team. Those wins are huge for the conference come March, so glad to see the Bobcats finally contribute a little towards that end. Can't believe it's been 14 years since we won our season opener, that's crazy. I mean, I know that we're often playing Power 5 conference teams for our openers, but still… that's bad. Anyways, glad to see that streak come to an end, hopefully we'll start a new one in the right direction!

Agree with others, that was a bit of an inconsistent game, but lots of things I liked about it. Hated seeing us give up the late lead like that, our defense became very porous and offense stalled - we also missed a couple wide open shots that probably would have put the game away. However, loved the resilience to come out and absolutely dominate the overtime like that, that was pretty awesome to see! Also, I can't remember seeing a Bobcat team driving the lane and going to the hole like that in a long time, I think that will benefit us a lot if we continue with that aggressiveness.

GO CATS GO!!!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:30 pm

It was a very good opening game especially since it is our first opening (D-1) win of the season in close to 10 year. We had streaks where we looked unreal and then some rough spots. Our depth is really going to pay big dividens. I love the dimensions that Blevins gives us plus Blevins and K. Frey gives us more scoring punch and players that can better defend the paint. I think the word went out last night that we are not a one person team anymore! If you over defend Hall, Harald Frey will make you pay. I love having that one two punch, plus I really think other players stepped up and made themselves offensive threats and driving which will make us harder to defend that simply a three point shooting team. There were a lot of rough spots but that is to be expected for our first game of the season, the key know is to eliminate those. One area of Concern ( here comes Bob's broken record part) was the 29 fouls we gave up last night (to their 18). WE will have a hard time building consistency again this year if we give opponents 7-10 extra trips to the line and are always worried about who's fouling out to night.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Totally agree on the fouls. Not sure what to do about that, but it has got to get fixed if we want to do something this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO CATS GO!!!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 pm

BozoneCat wrote:Totally agree on the fouls. Not sure what to do about that, but it has got to get fixed if we want to do something this season.

We are drastically undersized and our help doesn’t rotate well. Those two things accounted for the vast majority of the fouls.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:Totally agree on the fouls. Not sure what to do about that, but it has got to get fixed if we want to do something this season.

We are drastically undersized and our help doesn’t rotate well. Those two things accounted for the vast majority of the fouls.
Speaking of being drastically undersized, I was surprised at the announcement that Devin Kirby will redshirt this year.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:53 am

MSU01 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:

Speaking of being drastically undersized, I was surprised at the announcement that Devin Kirby will redshirt this year.

I️ thought that was odd too... wonder if he’s hurt?

GO CATS GO!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:24 am

"DK came to me and we've been talking about the possibility of redshirting for a week or so," Fish said. "I think it's the right move. I think it will give DK a chance to get stronger, It will be a three-pronged process with (Bobcat Athletics Nutritionist) Brittney Potera, (strength coach) Alex Willcox, and (athletic trainer) Brett Ritter helping him build his body and get better. He wants to become an all-conference player, he has some good goals for himself, and I think this was a savvy move by him to start this process."
http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2017/11/ ... 17-18.aspx

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 pm

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/videos ... 107561882/

Some nice video highlights here ^^^

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:49 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:http://www.greatfallstribune.com/videos ... 107561882/

Some nice video highlights here ^^^
Thanks for sharing, there really are a lot of highlights there.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

griztasteslikechicken
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by griztasteslikechicken » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 am

Here is an article from Scott Mansch with the Great Falls Tribune. 2 other game articles are embedded in this article. Scott does a nice job. Thank you to all the supporters and sponsors of this game and thank you to all who came to support the Bobcats. I think it was a great night for the program. Good luck tonight against Utah State....Weber beat them a couple of nights ago so lets make them 0-2 against the Big Sky to open their season.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... 855633001/