MBB vs MSU Northern

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

MBB vs MSU Northern

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:24 pm

Bobcats win 78-73. The performance was grade A awfulness. With a fairly veteran roster I was expecting a much more well oiled machine. I don't think we ran anything and didn't do anything on defense except play man-to-man guarding their smaller players 40 feet from the basket so there was never any help defense. They almost pick-and-rolled us to death in the second half. I got the feeling Fish was treating this more like a practice than an actual game. Wow it was ugly. Brad Huse was in the stands in MSU-Northern gear cheering on his son Drew, who had a terrific game. That would have been sweet win for those guys, but they should be proud about how hard they played.

Klines, Mvezulo, and Kirby didn't play at all.
I hope we show better in Great Falls next week against Omaha.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MBB vs MSU Northern

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:45 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Bobcats win 78-73. The performance was grade A awfulness. With a fairly veteran roster I was expecting a much more well oiled machine. I don't think we ran anything and didn't do anything on defense except play man-to-man guarding their smaller players 40 feet from the basket so there was never any help defense. They almost pick-and-rolled us to death in the second half. I got the feeling Fish was treating this more like a practice than an actual game. Wow it was ugly. Brad Huse was in the stands in MSU-Northern gear cheering on his son Drew, who had a terrific game. That would have been sweet win for those guys, but they should be proud about how hard they played.

Klines, Mvezulo, and Kirby didn't play at all.
I hope we show better in Great Falls next week against Omaha.
Yuck. Hard to say how much to read into it, as you said it was probably treated more like a practice/scrimmage than a game by the staff and players both, but some of the defensive breakdowns are concerning. If this team can get 3-4 more stops per game than last year, I think we're winning the conference. If not, we're a mid-pack team again. I'll be in Great Falls, looking forward to a better performance there.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:14 am

https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/925961743821627392
Ouch :shock:

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 am

msu_agfan wrote:https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/925961743821627392

This is not a good sign!!!!!!!

The players need to listen to the coach for both practice and games. The players need to play as a team!!
We would do better with mediocre players that play as a team as opposed to great players that do not play as a team.

If we are to have a great season all of the players need to follow the coaches lead and play as a team, otherwise it will be a disappointing season.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am

If I never see another Brian Fish vs Shawn Huse game in my life I will be happy. Huse was more than willing to to play down and dirty with the Cats. 58 fouls called in the game. So before we get up in the players face about the game think about how difficult it is to get any flow to a game when the refs are calling 58 fouls. I think Fish needs to take responsibility also. It is a chicken or the egg question.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 am

Hmmm...not sure what to say, I was there and left pretty surprised (not necessarily good). I felt like they were all over the place, there was no flow to the game and that is partially due to the refs calling every little thing. It also just seemed like they didn't play together well at all. It was a hard game to watch, a little disappointing to see, but hope they can snap out of it. They have a lot of expectations coming into the season, and I do believe they can do great things, but they have to play as a team.

As for Fish taking responsibility, he did. He said in the post game on the radio, although short and sweet, basically that the team played selfishly and not really as a team. He also said it is on him for not having them ready and they have a lot to work on.

I do question why Klines, Mvuezolo and Kirby didn't play at all. I understand wanting to get the younger guys time, but those three could be really great contributors this season.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 am

I wouldn't want to be in that locker room.

What the heck, I thought this could be the best team we've had in a decade or more and this is how we start? Hope we get it together because that is a very, very ominous presser there by Fish.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:49 pm

[quote="mslacat" So before we get up in the players face about the game think about how difficult it is to get any flow to a game when the refs are calling 58 fouls. I think Fish needs to take responsibility also. It is a chicken or the egg question.[/quote]

The quotes I saw, he took responsibility. He said it was all bad, he spelled out "bad coaching". Refs calling 58 fouls ... play defense by moving their feet? Not communicating can lead to bad switches, which can lead to fouls. Players have to make adjustments, coaches have to makes adjustments. Haven't played a real game and it's a long year. First time this group of players has had any real expectations. Sometimes, it can take a while to sort through things.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Disappointed in the game. Fish man you gotta chill. He was all over Bonton and I wouldn't be surprised if the kid left after this year. The kid is a true freshman. I don't think he was hurt that bad last night, but would rather sit on the sidelines than get his ass yelled at. He was a dominant player in high school who probably didn't get yelled at alot. Ease into the poor kid. Also Lassi is way too weak and soft. Did I mention slow as well. I saw him get burned trying to steal the ball three times. Get Klines back in the game instead. Blevins is a difference maker if we use him right. This one on one bs isn't going to work. Harry isn't a one on one guy. He is a screen and pass and open shot guy. Disappointed and really feel this one was on Fish. Also felt Frey was a big asset last night. If not for him and Blevins we lose that game easily. Tyler didn't get as many shots and missed a few in and out. When he has those nights someone has gotta step up. I would love to know whats up with Kirby, Klines and Joe sitting on the end of the bench like two freshman who know they are on varsity to have enough people for practice. They need a real offense. I have yet in the past two years to see much besides a screen and roll and thats it. Come on if you such a great basketball mind Fish lets some thing that looks like more than just a scrimmage.

Disappointed Fan!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:23 pm

msu_agfan wrote:https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/925961743821627392
Ouch is right! :oops:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:27 pm

One good takeaway though. The Bonton kid can DEFEND!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:One good takeaway though. The Bonton kid can DEFEND!

Yes he can i was thinking the same thing! I was impressed with his defensive intensity and thought he did well. Hopefully he is okay because he did look like he was in a lot of pain, maybe hurt his hip.

As for the three guys sitting on the bench that didnt play, i wondered the whole guy why they weren't playing. I saw something that they were all banged up so they were resting. I would rather they rest then play hurt or injured and hurt themselves worse. Have the rested up for next week, although practice this week i am imagining is going to be rough after their performance last night.

As disappointed as i was by their performance, they have a lot of talent and do believe they will get better, but they do have to listen to the coach.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Looks like they have a ways to go considering they were playing a team that was picked fourth preseason in the Frontier.

Grandmaster Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Grandmaster Cat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:47 pm

I'll be honest, not that impressed by Fish calling out his players by name in the media. If you can't get players you recruited to listen to you, that's not a good sign for a coach. Hoping that this is just an attempt to keep the team humble and hungry at the start of a year with some lofty expectations, but it doesn't seem like the ideal way to start the season...

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Grandmaster Cat wrote:I'll be honest, not that impressed by Fish calling out his players by name in the media. If you can't get players you recruited to listen to you, that's not a good sign for a coach. Hoping that this is just an attempt to keep the team humble and hungry at the start of a year with some lofty expectations, but it doesn't seem like the ideal way to start the season...
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:41 pm

The extra 14 pts from the line pretty much made the difference.

Too many mistakes, but when and if they come together as a team, they'll be fine.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:30 am

I've learned over the years following MSU and college basketball that there's no point in overreacting to the results of exhibition games, whether it's a poor performance like this or a dominant 50-point win. Sounds like Fish has chosen to use this as a wake-up call for the team, which could be what they need after a long training camp and going into the regular season next week. I think they'll be fine. I don't have a huge issue with Fish mentioning Tyler by name in the comments, as he is the unquestioned best player and leader of the team. If he doesn't play up to his potential, MSU will go nowhere and everyone knows it.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:42 am

MSU01 wrote:I've learned over the years following MSU and college basketball that there's no point in overreacting to the results of exhibition games, whether it's a poor performance like this or a dominant 50-point win. Sounds like Fish has chosen to use this as a wake-up call for the team, which could be what they need after a long training camp and going into the regular season next week. I think they'll be fine. I don't have a huge issue with Fish mentioning Tyler by name in the comments, as he is the unquestioned best player and leader of the team. If he doesn't play up to his potential, MSU will go nowhere and everyone knows it.
I agree. Ok to call out Tyler because he has got to step up his on court leadership. Fish’s brow beating will actually help Tyler become a leader. The team looked awful and Fish was honest in his comments. Brutally honest! Going to be an interesting season.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 am

I agree with almost everyting written here, but Fish went to far in public. It was a frick'n exhibition, the guys played terrible, but Huse out coached Fish also. Look how Jeff Choate handles things when he is upset. He keeps it about the "WE" and rarely is about "they". In my 40-45 years of being a serious basketball fan I have not seen a rant like (2 pages typed) that on the players anywhere short of Booby Knight.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:42 am

So since when it is wrong for a coach to be honest? They played awful, they didn't look like the team i was expecting to see, especially with how well they seemed to do in Canada. With that said, Fish called out Tyler, but I can say although it may seem wrong, Tyler is a junior now, he is the face of this team, the reason many fans have started watching MSU basketball again. As such, he needs to step up as a leader and I think he will. I only see Fish calling him out because i don't think Tyler will take it in a bad way. I see this as motivation for Tyler and others to step up as leaders.

It was an exhibition and therefore maybe a lot of overreaction to what is happening. It was one game, and i do believe that this team has the talent to be really good. Every team has an off night, i am not making excuses just believe they are a lot better than they showed. You also have to consider the 3 guys are the end of the bench that didnt play because of rest needed for nursing some injuries, I do think we will be okay.

As for his rant, he was right. If you were at that game, he stated facts, they didnt talk, they didnt play together they looked lost as a team on offense and defense. That is what it is. Lets move onto the next one and enjoy the season ahead! I still feel good about this team and coaches.