Montana State's Hall is preseason Big Sky MVP

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Montana State's Hall is preseason Big Sky MVP

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:29 pm

MSU’s Hall earns Big Sky preseason MVP honors
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msus-hall-ea ... vp-honors/

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Montana State's Hall is preseason Big Sky MVP

Post by Catlady » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Glad to see Tyler get much deserved recognition, but the Big Sky is a joke. We struggle because Fish hasn’t figured out how to recruit size to MSU. I look at the BSC per season honors and it’s all guards. Great to have the player of the year, he’ll get his 30 points and we’ll lose by 10.

We need to bring in quality bigs, rebound, play defense and develop an inside offensive threat. It’s not fair to Tyler that we’re not taking advantage of his talent. I’m not saying let’s get a big slug to clog the middle, but we need a mobile big or two to make an impact. The BSC is the 28th-29th rated conference out of 32. There’s a reason that the conference can’t compete. 5 guards on the pre-season all conference team. That’s why we get our butt kicked in non conference play!
Last edited by Catlady on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Catlady wrote:Glad to see Tyler get much deserved recognition, but the Big Sky is a joke. We struggle because Fish hasn’t figured out how to recruit size to MSU. I look at the BSC per season honors and it’s all guards. Great to have the player of the year, he’ll get his 30 points and we’ll lose by 10.

We need to bring in quality bigs, rebound, play defense and develop an inside offensive threat. It’s not fair to Tyler that we’re not taking advantage of his talent. I’m not saying let’s get a big slug to clog the middle, but we need a mobile big or two to make an impact. The BSC is the 28th-29th rated conference out of 32. There’s a reason that the conference can’t compete. 5 guards on the pre-season all conference team. That’s why we get our but kicked in non conference play!
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but none of it is Tyler Hall's fault. Seems odd to see it in his thread.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:28 pm

That's great for Tyler and great for the program. I think he's the best we've ever had here.
We're still not a big team, but in the Big Sky we're pretty good sized this season with the additions of Konner Frey and Blevins. Those two aren't going to get pushed around by anyone in our league.
But we're the Bobcats so we'll still lose in the first round of the Big Sky tournament. Up until then I think it's going to be a great season.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:08 am

Catlady wrote:Glad to see Tyler get much deserved recognition, but the Big Sky is a joke. We struggle because Fish hasn’t figured out how to recruit size to MSU. I look at the BSC per season honors and it’s all guards. Great to have the player of the year, he’ll get his 30 points and we’ll lose by 10.

We need to bring in quality bigs, rebound, play defense and develop an inside offensive threat. It’s not fair to Tyler that we’re not taking advantage of his talent. I’m not saying let’s get a big slug to clog the middle, but we need a mobile big or two to make an impact. The BSC is the 28th-29th rated conference out of 32. There’s a reason that the conference can’t compete. 5 guards on the pre-season all conference team. That’s why we get our but kicked in non conference play!
You understand why it's a guard's league, right? Because the guys that you want to see the Bobcats have ... the 6'8-6'10 good athlete that is a difference maker ... there aren't that many of them and they get scooped up by bigger schools in bigger conferences. So, if you are a Big Sky school, typically, you can use smaller guys who are good players or go out and take flyers on bigger kids and hope they can develop.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:That's great for Tyler and great for the program. I think he's the best we've ever had here.
We're still not a big team, but in the Big Sky we're pretty good sized this season with the additions of Konner Frey and Blevins. Those two aren't going to get pushed around by anyone in our league.
But we're the Bobcats so we'll still lose in the first round of the Big Sky tournament. Up until then I think it's going to be a great season.
I am half expecting/half hoping to see MSU make it into postseason play this year, even if it's the CBI or CIT or BBINTCINCIBBI rather than the NCAAs. Hall is a once-in-a-generation talent and I hope people come out to watch him and support the team! OK to skip the first round of the conference tournament though. :bag:

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:03 am

We need to bring in quality bigs, rebound, play defense and develop an inside offensive threat. It’s not fair to Tyler that we’re not taking advantage of his talent. I’m not saying let’s get a big slug to clog the middle, but we need a mobile big or two to make an impact. The BSC is the 28th-29th rated conference out of 32. There’s a reason that the conference can’t compete. 5 guards on the pre-season all conference team. That’s why we get our butt kicked in non conference play!
As somebody basically said upthread, 6'10" freshman 4/5 players with developed skills are rare, and when you find them, you find them at Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, etc. 2 ways to get size in the big sky: take some jc or d1 transfers that haven't worked out elsewhere or are tweeners (Blevins, frey, breunig, Wiley, marvin moss here years ago) or grab 6'10" guys that move like lurch or weigh 180 pounds and try to mold them ( Schultz, Kirby, beye, etc). Fish is doing almost everything correctly on recruiting IMO. Quick, name 2 contributors not named Marcus Colbert that stuck and helped much after he arrived here. To go from that mess to here, where I think we have a real chance to win the league, in 4 years is a great job. Plus, there's more good players/ pro interest in the big sky than any time in the last 20 years. Will it translate to non con success? Hopefully soon. This will be an enjoyable season of msu hoops, can't wait to see Tyler's continued development and dominance.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:46 am

Interesting, I just looked up the preseason MVP for last year. It was Quinton Hooker who did not end up winning the title (Jacob Wiley - ewu), BUT they did win the tourney! To be honored by the other coaches with this preseason nod is great.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96