Big Sky Breakdown: Montana State coach Brian Fish

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Big Sky Breakdown: Montana State coach Brian Fish

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm

PODCAST: Big Sky Breakdown: Montana State basketball coach Brian Fish
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-brea ... n-preview/

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Breakdown: Montana State coach Brian Fish

Post by mslacat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:PODCAST: Big Sky Breakdown: Montana State basketball coach Brian Fish
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-brea ... n-preview/
That was a real nice podcast preview of the MOntana States men's team. You could hear it in Fish's voice he really can not wait to get this team on the court and get the season started. Coulter did an excellent job on not just talking about Tyler and Harald but giving us a little something on every player, and that translated into Fish giving us some insight on all 13 players an what there roles could be. What was clear it seems all three freshman are making a strong push for significant playing time. I also liked how Fish was able to open up and give a glimpse in to his coaching philosophy about this team and then about Montana State basketball in general. I think Fish has had a pretty clear picture about the type of team he wants Montana State to be in order to be a contender in the Big Sky. I think this team is real close to being that team but not quite there yet, but he is jacked to see this team on the floor.

One specific note: Fish talked about how he thinks this team is set or was built to compete against Big Sky teams. This is something Robin Selvig used to always talk about. Robin would build his teams with one thing in mind winning the conference championship. He recruited mainly from the Northwest. Montana, Oregon and Washington is where he got 80-90% of his players. Usually UM were not as athletic as a lot of teams across the nation so, Selvig's teams took their lumps in the preseason and post season but in the Big Sky conference they kicked ass. I think the Big Sky conference over the past five years has went smaller and more athletic and the big plodding 6-11 260lb big men has gone the was of the dinosaurs. I think that vision of looking at the Big Sky Conference, and determining a winning formula for it instead of superimposing a standard philosophy could really pay big dividends for Montana State. This is the year we will find out if it is true.