Fish lands is 3rd commit

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Fish lands is 3rd commit

Post by mslacat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Before he left Bozeman today Quentin Guiliford committed to the Bobcats. That fill 3 of the 4 scholarship we should initially have to offer this fall. Quentin is one of those recruits Fish does every so often wherre he trusts his own instincts about a player instead of strictly going by the stats and recruiting services. Here is what I wrote a few weeks back.

Quentin Guliford 6-6 guard/forward from Liberty HS in Peoria AZ. In a surprise move he got offered this afternoon by the Bobcat coaches. Liberty was ranked in the top 5 Arizona's 5A conference all season. Guilford averaged only 8.4 points, 4.6 rebounds 2 ast and 2 stls a game. I was not overly impressed by what I saw on the internet so I dug deeper, Liberty had 2 seniors last year who have moved on the D-2 programs. Guiliford seems to be still growing, having grown an inch or two each of the past 4 year. He is an uber athlete with good quickness and a great set of springs. He has a 4.0 GPA. Finally one publication I read talked about his defensive process and said that he boast an incredible 7'-0" wing span. So far this summer Army, Portland State, Montana State, Central Arkansas, Wyoming, and Whitman College have all expressed an interest in him but Montana State is the first to pull the trigger on an offer. Fish loves player with length and 7'-0" is impressive, but Fish also values three point shooters and Guliford was 3 for 35 (9%) from three last year. I really hoped to find some video on him but have not found any yet.

PrepHoops AZ
Guliford’s Projection

At this point, I see Guliford as a low NCAA Division I prospect. Although he has improved significantly, he is still far from his ceiling. He is capable of making more plays than he realizes at times. He is an efficient scorer who can play without the basketball in his hands. The majority of his game translates extremely well to the next level. As his athleticism and skill set continue to improve as well as his awareness, his stock should continue to sky rocket.

ArizonaPreps
Guliford's best attributes as a player are his ability to defend, and his unique length and athleticism, which allow him to finish plays at the rim over defenders. He has a 7-foot wingspan and can slash and finish plays effectively in the open floor.

Guliford has yet to receive a scholarship offer, but he is worthy of serious recruiting attention from low to mid-major division-I programs, and looks to be one of the steals of the class.

Arizona Hoop Review Scouting Report: Guliford has been one of the best surprise performers of the club season. The athletic wing prospect has an excellent ability to finish plays at the rim, and can score with either hand in traffic. He has excellent length on his rangy frame and plays much bigger than his size suggests. Runs the floor extremely well and is an excellent finisher in traffic. A good shooter from mid-range and a capable three-point shooter. An active rebounder and shotblocker. A solid ball handler and passer. Plays with a high motor. A serious sleeper prospect that will make a smaller college program very happy.
I had heard that 6-4 guard Gary Williams also visited this week end so there is a possibility we could get another commit this week end. It all depends on whether Fish wants to sign another guard with his last scholarship or possibly a big man.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fish lands is 3rd commit

Post by mslacat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Anthony Ray, who some consider to be the dean of Arizona prep basketball, of Arizonapreps.com did a nice write up on Quentin Guliford's commitment to the Bobcats this morning along with an evaluation of Quentin's prospects. Here is a link to the article

http://snip.ly/ej1l8?utm_source=dlvr.it ... ana-state/

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Welcome to the Bobcat family Quentin.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:43 am

Welcome Quentin! We look forward to watching you play and develop over the years.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 am

mslacat wrote:PrepHoops AZ
Guliford’s Projection

At this point, I see Guliford as a low NCAA Division I prospect. Although he has improved significantly, he is still far from his ceiling. He is capable of making more plays than he realizes at times. He is an efficient scorer who can play without the basketball in his hands. The majority of his game translates extremely well to the next level. As his athleticism and skill set continue to improve as well as his awareness, his stock should continue to sky rocket.

ArizonaPreps
Guliford's best attributes as a player are his ability to defend, and his unique length and athleticism, which allow him to finish plays at the rim over defenders. He has a 7-foot wingspan and can slash and finish plays effectively in the open floor.

Guliford has yet to receive a scholarship offer, but he is worthy of serious recruiting attention from low to mid-major division-I programs, and looks to be one of the steals of the class.

Arizona Hoop Review Scouting Report: Guliford has been one of the best surprise performers of the club season. The athletic wing prospect has an excellent ability to finish plays at the rim, and can score with either hand in traffic. He has excellent length on his rangy frame and plays much bigger than his size suggests. Runs the floor extremely well and is an excellent finisher in traffic. A good shooter from mid-range and a capable three-point shooter. An active rebounder and shotblocker. A solid ball handler and passer. Plays with a high motor. A serious sleeper prospect that will make a smaller college program very happy.
I highlighted what I think are the major reasons Fish liked this guy. All of the phrases I highlighted are things that are useful to the team right now. The team doesn't need another ball dominant scorer because they already have those. Hall and Frey are gonna have the ball all the time and put up at least 40 PPG between them. A long, athletic guy who can defend guards and true small forwards is something they haven't had in years. The fact that Guliford isn't a volume scorer right now is probably a good thing for this team. There's only one ball, and Tyler uses it a lot, so it's good for the team's makeup to have guys in the rotation who don't see themselves as shooters.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Peoria G Guliford commits to Brian Fish, Bobcats
http://skylinesportsmt.com/peoria-g-gul ... o-bobcats/