Fish Lands his second commit for 2018 - Zeke Quinlan

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Fish Lands his second commit for 2018 - Zeke Quinlan

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am

It was announced last night that 6-7 foward Zeke Quinlan had committed to the Bobcats. Zeke visited about a week and half ago with now Bobcats commit Jared Martin. The timing of his commit, Sunday afternoon, makes me think he probably took another recruiting trip this week end and when finished made up his mind. Weber State, Colgate and Portland State were all said to have offered Zeke. Zeke finished up his high school senior year this spring and graduated from a very small 2A division school in Oregon called Life Christian high school in Aloha Oregon. This spring he had 1 D-1 offer I know for sure ,Idaho State and possibly one from Colgate. Idaho State did not seem to have much interest in him this fall. Instead of moving on to college ball he decided to enroll at Hillcrest Prep school in Arizona and play an additional year of "high school basketball" I would assume in the hopes of improving his recruitablity. Both Bobcat recruit so far this year have choose to enroll in top notch prep schools this year. Martin will finishing up his high school senior year at Prolific Prep in California while Zeke will be doing a post graduate year at Hillcrest Prep in AZ. These are powerhouse teams that just don't count future D-1 with fingers but with hands plus throw in an occasional NBA'er 1 and done every so often.

Zeke is an athletic small forward/power forward prospect. He can step out to three point range who also has some nice post moves. He is currently listed at 6-7, even by basketball measuring sticks that might be stretching it, but if you go back and look at his height over the past few years he seems to have steadily been growing and inch or 2 so maybe he has enough to reach the 6-7 mark on Fish's tape measure. Still do not have his official stats but I believe they were around 19pts and 10 rebounds and he had at least 2 monster games of 30+points and 12+rebounds.

ArizonaPreps SWAA Camp Top 2018 Sleeper Prospects
Zeke Quinlan 6-6 SR SF Hillcrest Prep

One of the top overall sleeper prospects in this year's event. A skilled wing prospect with good size and length. Has a good overall skill level. Has a nice, athletic frame. A solid shooter with range that needs to add and consistency from longer ranges to maximize his play on the floor. A good mid-range player. Has solid low-post skills. A strong and active rebounder. A very good finisher. Runs the floor well. A native of Oregon, where he played his high school basketball, Quinlan is a sure-fire prospect that should gain a lot of attention from mid-major programs this high school season.
PrepHoops Oregon
The final reclassifier is 6’8 post Zeke Quinlan of Life Christian HS in Beaverton. The explosive post player dominated in Oregon’s 2A ranks by simply being bigger and stronger than the opponents. In order to improve his stock with college programs, Quinlan will need to show the ability to consistently play at a high level against bigger and more talented athletes.
Eval from Transitional Hoops (based on him being a senior in 2017)
STRENGTHS
Moves fluidly and finishes very well around the basket or above the rim. Has some perimeter skills and is a strong defender. Physical and plays hard.

WEAKNESSES
Needs to add strength to his frame and extend his shooting range.

NOTES
Zeke Quinlan has a lot of upside. He moves well and finishes around the basket. He plays travel ball for Maeko. Is a nice d2 or low major d1 prospect.
Nothing but net
Zeke Quinlan, 6’7”, 2018, Hillcrest Prep (Phoenix, AZ): Skilled forward with good perimeter range has Weber State, Colgate and Montana among those showing interest.
Video

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fish Lands his second commit for 2018 - Zeke Quinlan

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Sounds like a good get!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Mslacat: how do you rate or compare Quintana to the Anderson kid from Bozeman? I know we will know for sure in a few years, but just curious about your initial thoughts.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 pm

HelenaCat wrote:Mslacat: how do you rate or compare Quintana to the Anderson kid from Bozeman? I know we will know for sure in a few years, but just curious about your initial thoughts.
That is a tough one, and not for the ussual reasons. Normally I make it a a point to get out and check out any Potential D-1 Montana high school prospects and it gets more difficult to judge the out of state player. Bozeman ussually roles through Missoula at least a couple times to play either Hellgate, Sentenal or Big Sky, but last winter I did not get the chance to see Bozeman at all. Even if I had Mack Anderson is almost a complete different player now than who he was 9 months ago, so I am not sure I would have looked that hard at him. Nine month ago Mack was a 6-5 guard/forward who spent more gmes coming off the bench than he did starting. He grew 3 inches in 9 month and kept most of his athletism that he had at 6-5, and people started noticing the difference. Over the past couple weeks I have had the oppertunity to read quite a bit about Zeke Quinlan as well as see a lot of video on the web that just is not there for Mack. I actually feel I have a better feel for the type of player Quinlan is/will be in college than Anderson. That said though you know I have to at least do a little compaisom I want to say this out of the chute that I do think these two players will both play primarily the 4 (power forward spot) in college so you can compare.

Height - Obviuosly Anderson has about a 1 - 1 1/2 inch advantage. Question is after growing 3 inches in 6-9 months is Anderson done?
Athletisim - Anderson I am told is still pretty athletic with good springs on him, but all around I would have to say Quinlan is a step above him.
Three point shooter - From every thing I have read Qinland gets the advantage here, Anderson is consistent only out to about 16 feet.
Interior Post - Quinland has been playing the post much longer than Anderson, plus has the muscle to make his presence know, Anderson needs muscle (as you might guess from somone who just grew 3 inches) and is moved around. Anderson interior offence is more of a slashing from the perimeter and leaping over the competition to score, while Quinlan has a much more developed post up game and will initiate contact. He draws a lot of fouls on opponents. I would give this clearly to Quinlan but with a caveat, that if Anderson continues to grow and can put some solid muscle on his frame there is a huge upside.
Ball Skills handling - I would give this to Anderson
Defender: Hard to gauge here. I have seen Quinlan described as a "Strong Defender" but I have absolutely nothing to go on for Anderson.

It is really hard to say who got the better guy at this point. You can make argument either way depending on how you view what you know. My gut feeling both are/will be pretty equal both have nice high side but with Anderson give he is a complete new player who has yet to fill out his potential I see a guy who is much more high risk, but boy what a huge potential upside if certain things happen. Quinlan is a much more developed player at his position, who has a lot of upside, but I do not see him growing into a 6-9 to 6-10 power forward.

I am glad we got one of them and wish we would have gotten both.

If any body feels I have shorted Anderson in the least I would love to hear your comments. I have not been able to see him play and going off second hand accounts/evaluations for this post.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:27 am

Oregon F Quinlan commits to Montana State
http://skylinesportsmt.com/oregon-f-qui ... ana-state/