First Commit for Fish in 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

First Commit for Fish in 2017

Post by mslacat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:17 pm

I am absolutely ticked to share that It has been confirmed by 3 separate sources that the Bobcats received today a commitment from 6-5 PG/SG/SF Jared Martin who visited this week end. I know it does not mean much but Martin was #1 on my board,mainly, because he was a gifted prospect, but also I think he is a perfect fir for what coach Fish is running at Montana State. Martin has three point range 3-4 well beyond the arc, and a very quick release. He is a good athlete and uses his three point shot to set up power drives to the basket for jams/lay ins or dishing. He also has good length and is a very good defender. He averaged 21 points 5 assists 8 rebounds 2 blocks a game last year for Saguaro High School Scottsdale AZ. This year his family has moved to California and he will be attending prep school at Prolific Prep Academy in Napa California which will be a huge step up in competition for Martin. Martin had cut his list down to Montana State, Loyola Marymont, UC Santa Barbara, Hawaii, Cal Northridge, and Northern AZ he had offers from all and requests for visits. MSU was the only school he set up an official visit with as it looked like betwwen coach Haslam, coach Fish and recently hired MSU director of basketball operations Silvey Dominguez he was ours to lose. Every year Fish comes away with a recruiting jewel and I think Martin can add his name to Hall, Frey, Bonton and now Martin!

video

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: First Commit for Fish in 2017

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 am

Jared looks great, he plays like he's 6 foot, not 6'5, except for the dunking! Now, we need a good 6'7 - 6'9 guy or two right?

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 am

I would personally really like to see this class with a couple 6-7 or 6-8ish athletic stretch power forwards. I think we have two nice young 6-10 guys in Soph Kirby and Frosh Shultz both nice center prospect. I really think the Big Sky big men are going to more to the Jacob Wiley type big man (6-8 athletic, mobile and aggressive) than the old traditional 6-10 250 space eater of the past. I would rather sacrifice some height and get the much more skilled and/or athletic player. I also think athleticism and skilled shooting fit with what Fish is doing than necessarily height and bulk. Now the problem I see with what "I would prefer" and what Fish may have in mind, are most likely two different things. If you look at the list of 16-20 possible recruiting targets the vast majority (maybe 80%) are shooting guards or small forwards. The only other prospect we know for sure is taking an official visit is 6-3 SG Gary Williams out of California. Zeke Quinlan a 6-7 combo forward who also visited this week end would be on guy to keep an eye on (Weber State and Colgate are his other suitors). Other big men still on the list are 6-7 Kelton Samore from Ore., 6-7 Khalil Chatman of Ore and 6-10 center Steele Bennett from Az. The problem with these three guys is that, I am not hearing a lot of Buzz out their that would indicate we are still recruiting them. That does not mean that our list is 100% accurate. I also hear there is a 6-8 to 6-9 European prospect that the coaches have high hopes for but I get conflicting info as to whether he is a 2018 or 2019 prospect. The coaches are also said to have placed 2-3 PF prospects in Casper Wy JC, it is possible that they could be hoping to get one of those guys to join the team. As coach Fish said in an interview with Parker Gabrial before he left, the staff is looking to sign 4 players or possible 5 if Hall decides to turn Pro. I think we will sign 2-3 guards/wings and 1-2 PF

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:02 am

Sounds like great news for BOBCAT basketball...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Welcome to the Bobcat family Jared!!! GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/j_mar5?lang=en

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Tyler Hall's heir apparent?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Sweet-shooting guard Martin commits to Montana State
http://skylinesportsmt.com/sweet-shooti ... ana-state/

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Sweet-shooting guard Martin commits to Montana State
http://skylinesportsmt.com/sweet-shooti ... ana-state/
Very nice article Colter!

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Colter's Article makes it hard not to be excited about Bobcat Basketball for years to come. Jared comes across as a confident young man, and I hope he is what this article paints him to be. One thing caught my eye, it stated that Jared is a 3 star recruit. I know stars mean little, yet I have not seen him as a 3 star on verbalcommits. Is he listed as a 3 star elsewhere?

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:22 pm

That is a nice looking tape. Very athletic, nice looking release, very smooth. He actually kind of reminds me of Erik Rush.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast