Big Sky Men's Preseason All-Conf. projections

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Big Sky Men's Preseason All-Conf. projections

Post by mslacat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Earlier this week I was talking/tweeting back and forth with some semi-national basketball reporter about the Big Sky conference. Kevin Sweeney (@CBB_Central) came up with this list 5 players who he thinks are the top 5 in the Big Sky. What do you folks think? I think the major omission is Rorie from Montana, and if I had to take someone off to put Rorie on I would take Onwuasor off. I will admit though I saw a lot more of Rorie last year than I did Onwuasor, so there maybe a little ignorance in play in my pick.

From what I am hearing from Montana, Decuire specifically recruited players that would relieve Rorie of some ball handling and play-making roles, and free him up to open up his scoring, so I am expecting a big year from him.

While this may not come into play in the pre-season, I think quite a few D-1 transfers will make an impact on the all conference picks next March. I know Montana is extremely hi on their two big men they have coming on board this year.

So what do you think of these being the top 5 pre-season players in the Big Sky?

Geno Crandall (@Undmbasketball)
Tyler Hall (Montana St)
Randy Onwuasor (@SUUbasketball)
Victor Sanders (Idaho)
Bogdan Blyzniuk (EWU)

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Big Sky Men's Preseason All-Conf. projections

Post by msu_agfan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:08 am

Who does Weber have that will be tough, I would sure guess that they have someone who will be ready to shine. Also, for D1 transfers Edwards for Portland State will be someone to watch I think- he has played against some of the best centers out there, so he should be ready to roll. I also have to put a plug in for Zach Green, as a senior he will have something to prove.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Really? Edwards? I wish him the best, but not expecting a lot out of him. Can't give him preseason best just based on his height. I hear he's almost 300lbs and doesn't move very well. I don't know anything about Weber, but losing Senglin is about a 1/3 of their offense, but he shot a lot too!

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Hmmm...this is always interesting to me. People's thoughts on best players in the league and pre season best players. It is hard to say because we really don't know how the incoming transfer and/or even incoming freshman may do...not that they would be top pre-season,and that you could even begin to put them in the top 5 but i would be curious to see. This is always hard to determine, but my opinion would be the following:

Geno Crandall (Talented player, fun to watch, the question would be if the situation with the DUI gets figured out or if it already is? i really dont know details just saw an article about it)
Tyler Hall (There is no doubt he is one of the top 5 in this conference, i would put him in the top 3. There are things he can continue to improve on strength, driving to the hoop more (he did do that more last year and i do think with improved strength he may get more foul calls), he can improve on his handling the ball although i think with bringing in the kid from Finland he wont be handling the ball as much, but there is no doubt he is in my top 3 for sure)
Randy Onwuawsor- (He is a great player, great scorer, this will just be determined if teams learn how to defend him better now that they have seen him twice last season and of course the Cats 3 times. He drives to the hoop well and is strong.)
Bogdan Biyzniuk (I would agree with this, i do know he played well in one of the games against us but the other we did well against him defensively. Good player)
*Now this 5th one for me is tough because i would say Victor Sanders without question, but he had a really off year last year which could mean he will have a great year this coming year. It could mean he could go off like he did his first year in the conference, it is just hard to say. As for my one other thought for the 5th player, would be Rorie as well for Montana ...he is a great player all around, and if they move him off the ball as many have said they will with the addition of some of their new players, i could see him being really tough.

That is my top 5 of players that have actually played in the conference and my reason why i would select those players.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Well....You can all take Randy Onwuasor off your lists.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:28 pm

SACCAT wrote:Well....You can all take Randy Onwuasor off your lists.
Why...what happened?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:47 pm

John K wrote:
Why...what happened?
This must be what he's referring to:
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/ ... 61503.html

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:30 pm

Rich K wrote:
John K wrote:
Why...what happened?
This must be what he's referring to:
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/ ... 61503.html
That must be it....thanks. I always hate to see good players depart the BSC.