Lai & others leaving WBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Lai & others leaving WBB

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue May 16, 2017 8:52 am

mslacat wrote:Fish's APR is pretty low, but that happens every time someone takes over a new program. When Huse took over he had to get rid of quite a few bad apples and the result was our APR drooped like a rock. In Huse's third year (or maybe forth) MSU was put on APR probation because our three year average was so low (remember Durham's last year when we had a player transfer to the state prison for murder). That when fields and Huse started a program where MSU would aggressively help student athletes get their degree, even if they were not on the team any more. Still you get a new coach, you find a few players do not fit, don't want to fit or for what ever reason players leave when coaches are changes. some right away some the following year. I am not shocked Fish has one of the lowest 3yr APR after his first three years. I feel pretty confident now he has his guys and he is committed to the academic side of the equation. So just like Huse watch his APR take off after his 3rd year. I am also pretty happy to see Fish stay away from JC players in his latest recruiting efforts. For what ever reason they do not seem to do well in his program, and instead he is looking more towards Europe to find players who can contribute early. Now if he could only recruit a true big man that he actually likes once they get on campus I would feel a lot better.

Binford, she took a step up program wise a couple years ago after we seemed stuck as a middle of the pack team. With the players we now have in the program and those coming in and those committed to join the program things look pretty bright. We are going to lose a layer every so often like a Lia but we have great players in the wings ready to take he place. The 15 scholarships the women get (men only 13) really helps us bounce back from an unexpected loss.
I agree with you on both fronts. Women's Basketball seems to be doing great and Coach Binford and her assistants deserve a lot of credit for the way the program is going.

I was also going to mention that the APR being so low for men had a lot to do with a new coach, and i do believe that happens a lot, but is getting better. Now that Fish is doing his best to stick to high school kids and Europeans that is good. He is making progress and I see that continuing.