Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
phantom wrote:So, you're not sure if the kid is a division 1 player, he's going to a NAIA school, so no other division 1s have offered, but it's an example of what's wrong with Montana State's basketball program? Sorry, that doesn't make sense.
This is Fish's 4th season and we have a bad basketball team. He has not signed one single in state player to a full scholarship in those four years. To me that doesn't make sense. I don't watch enough high school ball to know if Fowler is a D-1 talent. My guess is he's one of the better players in the state, but there might be better players. His coach seems to think he's worth a look. Our coaches go to all these big AAU tournaments or wherever where we have to recruit against every other college in the country. Montana may have fewer players, but among those players MSU would be the first choice for many of them, instead being the consolation choice after every other school has passed them over.

So here's a question: Would Fish have recruited Scott Hatler (Great Falls), Adam Leachman (Bozeman), and Danny Sprinkle (Helena)? They were starters on our last NCAA tournament team lo those many years ago.
Nope. Craft did okay with Montana kids. But, did you know neither the Cats or Griz wanted Wayne Estes? "All he could do was shoot." Still kind of the same rap on all these small school Montana kids.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:23 pm

BobcatFan68 wrote:I am sorry, but I am not sure how recruiting instate talent guarantees wins. That make absolutely no basketball sense.
Well going 100% out of state sure the heck isn't working...

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
The current roster is a .500 team. Biggest weakness is they have shot the ball much worse this year than a year ago. If you want to argue there were shooters from Montana who would have made the difference, that's fine, I'll believe you. I don't think the entire roster is wrong, but they could use another guy or two that can shoot it. Personally, I don't care where that guy comes from, but I understand state pride. However, I suspect if this team was loaded with instate guys and was .500 or worse, the complaint would be "why can't we recruit some good players out of state".

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 am

phantom wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
The current roster is a .500 team. Biggest weakness is they have shot the ball much worse this year than a year ago. If you want to argue there were shooters from Montana who would have made the difference, that's fine, I'll believe you. I don't think the entire roster is wrong, but they could use another guy or two that can shoot it. Personally, I don't care where that guy comes from, but I understand state pride. However, I suspect if this team was loaded with instate guys and was .500 or worse, the complaint would be "why can't we recruit some good players out of state".
My view is we need an impact player inside to open up shooting outside. Although Sam gives 110%...... he’s not a presence inside. Look at the Bigs from Montana and Weber State....... they have an impact in and outside the paint.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:37 pm

phantom wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I never said the entire roster was wrong and I never said the team should be loaded with in state guys. I think there's room for one or two though. And my point is that in-state kid from Belgrade or Lewistown or Havre or wherever will have flown under the recruiting radar and unlike recruits from other states, MSU would be their top one or two choice. And yes, this roster needs another shooter, because we only have Hall and Frey and they are being absolutely smothered.

geogfather
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by geogfather » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:41 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:We desperately need someone who can hit threes consistently to keep defenses honest against Hall and Frey. Defenses are sagging way off anybody not Hall or Frey. This kid looks to fill Mvezulo's role, but hopefully he's a way better shooter (if we get him). One of the kid's fron Arizona could fill that role as well. If Hall leaves, this kid would have to fill his shoes.
We definitely need another point guard as well as I don't think Nikkarinen is the answer if Frey gets hurt or is in foul trouble.
https://twitter.com/JUCOadvocate/status/909961019086139392
A kid you guys just offered from Las Vegas (Canyon Springs High School) will fill that role if he signs. . Kevin Legardy. Kid is lights out.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:43 pm

geogfather wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:We desperately need someone who can hit threes consistently to keep defenses honest against Hall and Frey. Defenses are sagging way off anybody not Hall or Frey. This kid looks to fill Mvezulo's role, but hopefully he's a way better shooter (if we get him). One of the kid's fron Arizona could fill that role as well. If Hall leaves, this kid would have to fill his shoes.
We definitely need another point guard as well as I don't think Nikkarinen is the answer if Frey gets hurt or is in foul trouble.
https://twitter.com/JUCOadvocate/status/909961019086139392
A kid you guys just offered from Las Vegas (Canyon Springs High School) will fill that role if he signs. . Kevin Legardy. Kid is lights out.
He would be a great replacement for Bonton if we can land him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Listing him at 6'6" seems a little exaggerated by a couple of inches. Being a Montana player, how much real interest would there even be?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

rosco_cat wrote:Listing him at 6'6" seems a little exaggerated by a couple of inches. Being a Montana player, how much real interest would there even be?
So more like 6'4"ish then???

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 pm

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/ba ... n-springs/

An article about Kevin Legardy from Las Vegas who we recently offered. He also has an offer from Idaho State and interest from several others.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:58 pm

As was tweeted last night it appears that the MOntana State coaching staff has offered 6-6 wing Canberk Kus of Central Florida. Kus a native of Istanbul, Turkey, is averaging 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks a game while shooting 46% from the field and 27% from three point range and has offers from USC Upsate, Austin Peay, Arkansas St, SE Louisiana, Tennessee Martin & Nicholls St.

It has also been reported the Bobcats offered 6-8 PF Isaiah Wade from Iowa Western CC, he is originally from Minneapolis. He is averaging 12.2 points, 9.4 rebounds while shooting 56% from the field and 20% from 3 point range. He has offer's from Washington St, Coastal Carolina, Montana State Evansville, Arkansas St, and SIUE. All of those offers coming in the last week.

Montana State has 2 open scholarships this spring. They signed 3 wings (Derek Martin, Quentin Guliford and Zeke Quinlan), although I expect 6-7 Quinlan will play the 4 or 5 spot in Fish system. Wade is the first big man name I have seen mentioned since early last fall. Over the past two months it seems the coaches have been recruiting pretty hard JC wings (Canberk Kus, Ladan Ricketts and Charles Henderson JR are the three prominent names) and high school point guards (Jordan Dinsmore, Kevin Legardy and Franco Miller, Jr. are names I am hearing quite often) There has been talk since the beginning of the season, even coming from Fish, that this could be Tyler Hall's last year in Bozeman and I think we may lose another underclassmen so 1 or 2 more scholarships may open up.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:21 pm

mslacat wrote:As was tweeted last night it appears that the MOntana State coaching staff has offered 6-6 wing Canberk Kus of Central Florida. Kus a native of Istanbul, Turkey, is averaging 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks a game while shooting 46% from the field and 27% from three point range and has offers from USC Upsate, Austin Peay, Arkansas St, SE Louisiana, Tennessee Martin & Nicholls St.

It has also been reported the Bobcats offered 6-8 PF Isaiah Wade from Iowa Western CC, he is originally from Minneapolis. He is averaging 12.2 points, 9.4 rebounds while shooting 56% from the field and 20% from 3 point range. He has offer's from Washington St, Coastal Carolina, Montana State Evansville, Arkansas St, and SIUE. All of those offers coming in the last week.

Montana State has 2 open scholarships this spring. They signed 3 wings (Derek Martin, Quentin Guliford and Zeke Quinlan), although I expect 6-7 Quinlan will play the 4 or 5 spot in Fish system. Wade is the first big man name I have seen mentioned since early last fall. Over the past two months it seems the coaches have been recruiting pretty hard JC wings (Canberk Kus, Ladan Ricketts and Charles Henderson JR are the three prominent names) and high school point guards (Jordan Dinsmore, Kevin Legardy and Franco Miller, Jr. are names I am hearing quite often) There has been talk since the beginning of the season, even coming from Fish, that this could be Tyler Hall's last year in Bozeman and I think we may lose another underclassmen so 1 or 2 more scholarships may open up.
A number of things ... first, I think we have 3 scholarships currently open. Graduating are Green, Konnor Frye, Joe M., Benson .... with Bonton and Schultz leaving, that's 6. So, the 3 high school kids that signed in the fall plus 3 this spring. Second, with the year he's had, where is Tyler going to go? Don't get me wrong, I fully expect him to declare for the NBA draft to go through the pre-draft workouts, but he will be back next year. So, while I'd expect another scholarship to open up, simply because that is the way of college basketball these days, it won't be Tyler's. Third, I'd expect to see several kids offered ... more than there are scholarships available. Part of the recruiting game. I'd also guess that all three signee's this spring will be JUCO guys, but that's just a guess.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm

phantom wrote:
mslacat wrote:As was tweeted last night it appears that the MOntana State coaching staff has offered 6-6 wing Canberk Kus of Central Florida. Kus a native of Istanbul, Turkey, is averaging 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks a game while shooting 46% from the field and 27% from three point range and has offers from USC Upsate, Austin Peay, Arkansas St, SE Louisiana, Tennessee Martin & Nicholls St.

A number of things ... first, I think we have 3 scholarships currently open. Graduating are Green, Konnor Frye, Joe M., Benson .... with Bonton and Schultz leaving, that's 6. So, the 3 high school kids that signed in the fall plus 3 this spring. Second, with the year he's had, where is Tyler going to go? Don't get me wrong, I fully expect him to declare for the NBA draft to go through the pre-draft workouts, but he will be back next year. So, while I'd expect another scholarship to open up, simply because that is the way of college basketball these days, it won't be Tyler's. Third, I'd expect to see several kids offered ... more than there are scholarships available. Part of the recruiting game. I'd also guess that all three signee's this spring will be JUCO guys, but that's just a guess.
Oops You are right I miss counted our seniors. Three scholarships this spring ... at least. I am betting one way or another at least 4

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:38 pm

mslacat wrote:
phantom wrote:

Oops You are right I miss counted our seniors. Three scholarships this spring ... at least. I am betting one way or another at least 4
I would bet 4 also ... see, we can agree on things! =D^

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:05 am

How can fish not be looking for big guys. Can he not see that our lack of inside post players allows teams to guard us on the perimeter. I would also agree on Tyler coming back and most likely our other pg realizing he is in over his head. Praying one of these committed recruits gets a 4" growth spurt over the summer.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:How can fish not be looking for big guys. Can he not see that our lack of inside post players allows teams to guard us on the perimeter. I would also agree on Tyler coming back and most likely our other pg realizing he is in over his head. Praying one of these committed recruits gets a 4" growth spurt over the summer.
The 6'8 kid JC isn't big enough?

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 am

phantom wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:How can fish not be looking for big guys. Can he not see that our lack of inside post players allows teams to guard us on the perimeter. I would also agree on Tyler coming back and most likely our other pg realizing he is in over his head. Praying one of these committed recruits gets a 4" growth spurt over the summer.

6'8" isn't the big deal, but when he is 210lbs and from the looks of it that is being generous. Come on do your homework! They have a shooting guard who would be a better recruit and another big man that atleast has some size to him. Also they have an up and coming freshman that next year ("Tony") would be even better physically.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:38 am

phantom wrote:
I think his point is, why is he not focusing on post players, and why aren't there MULTIPLE low post recruits being looked at? Quality 4's and 5's have been a chronic area of need for this program for as long as I can remember. I realize BSC teams generally get the scraps leftover after the mid and high major schools take their pick, but many BSC schools find a good big at least once every 5 years or so. Damir Latovic was the last truly talented, well rounded big MSU has had and that was 16 seasons and 2 coaches ago. I'd wager that UNC, CSUS, PSU and NAU have all had at least one talented big go through their program in that timeframe, and I know WSU, UM and EWU have had multiples in that same span. It's just mind boggling that MSU can't seem to get someone like that.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
phantom wrote:

6'8" isn't the big deal, but when he is 210lbs and from the looks of it that is being generous. Come on do your homework! They have a shooting guard who would be a better recruit and another big man that atleast has some size to him. Also they have an up and coming freshman that next year ("Tony") would be even better physically.
You're right ... no way they could put another 10-15 pounds on him this summer.
Last edited by phantom on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:56 am

phantom wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
phantom wrote:

Your right ... no way they could put another 10-15 pounds on him this summer.
Just like they did with Kirby LOL! I think even Bontons old playing partner who is at Casper looks better than this kid. He is a gym rat with hops and is also 6'10" now. He is skinny too I know, but has big hops and knows how to scope 29 in a game as he did a few weeks ago. I too would rather have a 6'8" who is 240 to 250 and can run the floor. Yeah, but 215 to get to 240 that could take 3 years realistically and who knows most kids can't put on weight (Kirby) and continue at the ability they are when they are skinnier. Then we are back to square one getting eaten up inside by about 2 guys from any other team we play. I think we maybe the smallest line up in the conference if not second to the smallest. Keep searching for some more talent Mr. Fish. Also remember alot of the euro guys don't like contact (Harry is the exception). Not thrilled on a guy from turkey as he maybe the next Sarps. UGGG I am trying to stay positive. Only positive thing is that hopefully Tyler comes back and one of the next guards is the second coming of Tyler and we can have 3 outside weapons next year.