Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
mslacat wrote:It is hard to argue with a coach who has two consecutive freshman of the year (first ANY coach/program has ever had consecutive FOY) and who could darn well make it three in a row in 2017-18, BUT 0-2 in getting the best Montana Athlete and 0-2 head to head against the Griz (Anderson and Espy) it is hard to swallow. We should have 1-3 recruits in this week end and hopefully this can help wash this bad taste out of my mouth!
agree, overall Fish has done some amazing things turning the program around. And I love the recruits he has brought in..... BUT..... it would be nice to get a solid montana recruit once in a while. They are few and far between, but they are out there.

I have read quotes from Fish saying how he wishes we could fill the basketball arena more often with sell out crowds (like the cat-griz game)..... Having a winning program is definitely the best way to do that... but having a couple Montana kids on the roster doesn't hurt either..... especially a Bozeman kid. ](*,)

How do you get a kid who is a Griz fan to commit to the cats though? Really? I mean there are somethings that are just out of Fish's control. The Howard thing was obvious that he wanted his own legacy and can totally understand that logic. Playing behind your mom who was a legend here and your brother who was a good player is tough. I wouldn't say that either of those are huge losses by Fish. Yeah they would have been nice to have, but not a huge loss considering the griz never had a chance to land Howard and to compete with a kids preference growing up is very difficult with in Andersons case.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Now Back to more positive news. I have heard the Coaches will have at least 2 players on campus this week end. The first as mentioned before is 6-8 forward Zeke Quinlan who could really help us forget about missing out on Anderson. The second is PG/SG/SF 6-5 Jared Martin. Both of these kids have connections to Arizona. Quinlan played basketball in Oregon last year but id transferring to a Prep school next year in Arizona. Martin Played ball in Arizona last year but is transferring to a California school for his senior season. I have done a write up on both of these kids in this thread. Martin is a kid I hoped we could get in for a visit, he can play all 3 back court positions plus is that deep 3 point threat (named best 3 point shooter in Arizona as a junior). As of right now Quinlan has cut his top three yo MSU, Weber State and Colgate. Martin has NAU, Loyloa Marymount, and Cal Northrige on their short list but I am not sure where he is visiting yet.

Normally for the first two recruiting period (first two home football games) the coaches have 3 prospects in so there is a chance there could be a third prospect visiting this week end. It is also very likely that that 3rd prospect was Mack Anderson and with his committing to the Griz we have an open spot. There is also the foreign player possibility and we rarely see them coming.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 pm

A little more on Anderson from Sample...

Bozeman’s Anderson commits to Griz basketball
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bozemans-and ... o-montana/

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Little update or inside rumor on Bobcat recruiting target Jared Martin who will be visiting this week end. Coach Haslam and Fish have been recruiting him for a while. The Bobcats were his first offer this spring but Coach Haslam has been talking/recruiting him since last summer. Recently hired Bobcat Head of Basketball operations Silvey Dominguez knows the Martin family personally. Previously to being hired by the Bobcats, he was a employed by the Martin (and others) family as a personal development coach for Jared. They are close. Jared comes from Power House Hoops AAU club with whom coach Fish is also close to the orginazation. This is the organization that turned Fish on to Zach Green and Quin Price when he got the Montana State job. Devin Kirby is also from Power House Hoops. Fish has also recruited a handful of kids from Power House who are or did play from Oregon. Montana State is Martin's only official visit scheduled so far but Loyola Marymount, N. Arizona, UC Santa Barbara, Hawaii, and Cal Northridge have all offered and are tying to set up visits with Jared for this fall. After this weekend he will set up other visits if needed.

BTW one of Dominguez's other players he was working as a personal trainer with earlier this year was Junior to be 4 star prospect 6-6 SG Majok Deng. Don't get your hopes up too high he already has 18 offered including UCLA, Arizona and Stanford.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:00 pm

If you are keeping track you should cross off Jonah Geron 6-6 SG Memorial HS in San Joaquin California from the list of Bobcat recruits. Geron committed to U of Washington as a walk-on tonight. I am not loosing too much sleep over this loss, Geron is a deep 3 point shooter, but is considered to be pretty one dimensional in what he can do on the floor (shoot threes from the permiter). I don't think he was very high on the Bobcats list (although Fish likes three point shooters) especially since landing a commit from Jared Martin last night. The Bobcats were his only D-1 offer. I believe the Bobcats are still very active with his AAU teammates Junior Ballard 6-3 SG Modesto Christian HS Lathrop California (averaged 21.9 points, 2 assists 6.2 rebounds) and Dameane Douglas 6-6 SG/SF Memorial HS Fresno California (averaged 25 points and 15 rebounds).

I also heard the Bobcats have dropped interest in 6-1 PG Matt Todd from Monticello Minnesota. They do not seem to be looking for a point guard at this stage.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Yesterday if you were following my twiiter account you would have noticed a couple re-tweet by me of Arizona high school coaches mentioneing the Bobcats coaches had stopped by their gyms to watch players as the worked out. Well it seems that while they were doing this they found a player that caught their eye enough that they offered him today.

Quentin Guliford 6-5 guard/forward from Liberty HS in Peoria AZ. In a surprise move he got offered this afternoon by the Bobcat coaches. Liberty was ranked in the top 5 Arizona's 5A conference all season. Guilford averaged only 8.4 points, 4.6 rebounds 2 ast and 2 stls a game. I was not overly impressed by what I saw on the internet so I dug deeper, Liberty had 2 seniors last year who have moved on the D-2 programs. Guiliford seems to be still growing, having grown an inch or two each of the past 4 year. He is an uber athlete with good quickness and a great set of springs. He has a 4.0 GPA. Finally one publication I read talked about his defensive process and said that he boast an incredible 7'-0" wing span. So far this summer Army, Portland State, Montana State, Central Arkansas, Wyoming, and Whitman College have all expressed an interest in him but Montana State is the first to pull the trigger on an offer. Fish loves player with length and 7'-0" is impressive, but Fish also values three point shooters and Guliford was 3 for 35 (9%) from three last year. I really hoped to find some video on him but have not found any yet.

PrepHoops AZ
Guliford’s Projection

At this point, I see Guliford as a low NCAA Division I prospect. Although he has improved significantly, he is still far from his ceiling. He is capable of making more plays than he realizes at times. He is an efficient scorer who can play without the basketball in his hands. The majority of his game translates extremely well to the next level. As his athleticism and skill set continue to improve as well as his awareness, his stock should continue to sky rocket.
ArizonaPreps
Guliford's best attributes as a player are his ability to defend, and his unique length and athleticism, which allow him to finish plays at the rim over defenders. He has a 7-foot wingspan and can slash and finish plays effectively in the open floor.

Guliford has yet to receive a scholarship offer, but he is worthy of serious recruiting attention from low to mid-major division-I programs, and looks to be one of the steals of the class.

Arizona Hoop Review Scouting Report: Guliford has been one of the best surprise performers of the club season. The athletic wing prospect has an excellent ability to finish plays at the rim, and can score with either hand in traffic. He has excellent length on his rangy frame and plays much bigger than his size suggests. Runs the floor extremely well and is an excellent finisher in traffic. A good shooter from mid-range and a capable three-point shooter. An active rebounder and shotblocker. A solid ball handler and passer. Plays with a high motor. A serious sleeper prospect that will make a smaller college program very happy.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 pm

As I mentioned in the above post, the Bobcat Coaches (I believe Fish and Haslam) have been in Arizona the past couple of days taking in high school basketball practices along with other D-1 coaches. They Visited Hillcrest Prep school to see Zeke Quinlin play and schmooze up with him I would imgain. As you most likely know by now Quinlin 6-7 pf who was on campus last week end with Jared Martin. It would not surprise me if the coaches were also doing an in home visit Quinlan while in Arizona. Unfortunately Portland State also showed up this week at Hillcrest to check out Quinlan. Word has it an official offer could be coming shortly from Portland State. Quinlan played his high school ball in a small community near Portland. He currently is going to play a prep year (5th year of high school) at Hillcrest this year. Last year as a senior he had one D-1 offer and that was from Idaho State. This year Montana State I hear is his only official offer, bit Weber State and Colgate have asked him to make an official visit. We will see what happens with Portland

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Fish is still making the recruiting rounds today. I hear he was in Southern California and spent some time at Rancho Cucamonga HS to check out 6-6 Kelvin Wright

Kelvin Wright 6-5ish power forward Rancho Cucamonga High School where he plays forward and center. Kelvin is currently listed at 6-5 and 6-6 and he has seemed to have put on a good 2 inches every year in high school, bt I think his height is his main recruiting hurdle. Wright is an uber athlete with great speed and quickness and he can jump out of the gym. He is pretty muscular kid weighing in at between 210-215. He also has a 6-10 wingspan to go along with his athleticism. That said though he does not have the perimeter 3 point shooting skills he would need to play on small forward at 6-5 to 6-6. He is getting a lot of attention from a lot of D-2 schools. Stat wise I could not find his official stats but he seemed to average about 11-13 points a game, double digits in rebounds and I bet better than 5 blocks a game. As far as I can tell he has no D-1 offers, but many expect that could change in the spring if he lives up to his potential from this summer. He is currently ranked by Prephoops California as the 72nd best prospect in California. It appears to me that Fish and his coaches are really on the hunt for a mid sized, high end athlete to bring into the program, my guess is for defensive reasons, and Fish is willing to give up some scoring skills to do that.

Prephoops So. California
Kelvin Wright Jr. (Rancho Cucamonga/Prodigy Elite)

Joel’s take: In this era of position-less basketball, Wright Jr. has a game that is molded perfectly for that format. Tenacious motor, bouncy athlete, and strong finisher describe this future college player. The skills are on the come, but he feels like a Division II nightmare for opposing coaches.
Califrnia Preps
6’6” SF Kelvin Wright of Rancho Cucamonga HS 2018 (Prodigy Elite 17U)

-Athletic marvel. Slasher/defender. Needs to improve perimeter shooting. Active rebounder who is a transition stud. Low major chance.

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:49 pm

mslacat wrote:Fish is still making the recruiting rounds today. I hear he was in Southern California and spent some time at Rancho Cucamonga HS to check out 6-6 Kelvin Wright

Kelvin Wright 6-5ish power forward Rancho Cucamonga High School where he plays forward and center. Kelvin is currently listed at 6-5 and 6-6 and he has seemed to have put on a good 2 inches every year in high school, bt I think his height is his main recruiting hurdle. Wright is an uber athlete with great speed and quickness and he can jump out of the gym. He is pretty muscular kid weighing in at between 210-215. He also has a 6-10 wingspan to go along with his athleticism. That said though he does not have the perimeter 3 point shooting skills he would need to play on small forward at 6-5 to 6-6. He is getting a lot of attention from a lot of D-2 schools. Stat wise I could not find his official stats but he seemed to average about 11-13 points a game, double digits in rebounds and I bet better than 5 blocks a game. As far as I can tell he has no D-1 offers, but many expect that could change in the spring if he lives up to his potential from this summer. He is currently ranked by Prephoops California as the 72nd best prospect in California. It appears to me that Fish and his coaches are really on the hunt for a mid sized, high end athlete to bring into the program, my guess is for defensive reasons, and Fish is willing to give up some scoring skills to do that.

Prephoops So. California
Kelvin Wright Jr. (Rancho Cucamonga/Prodigy Elite)

Joel’s take: In this era of position-less basketball, Wright Jr. has a game that is molded perfectly for that format. Tenacious motor, bouncy athlete, and strong finisher describe this future college player. The skills are on the come, but he feels like a Division II nightmare for opposing coaches.
Califrnia Preps
6’6” SF Kelvin Wright of Rancho Cucamonga HS 2018 (Prodigy Elite 17U)

-Athletic marvel. Slasher/defender. Needs to improve perimeter shooting. Active rebounder who is a transition stud. Low major chance.
great info, keep it coming!

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:30 pm

OK so now we have 2 players committed this fall and two more open scholarships to offer. Like I always say usually at least 1 or 2 more scholarships open up after the season, but unless a prospect too good to turn down shows up late Fish will wait till the spring and address any perceived needs after season with those scholarships. So far we have signed a Jared Martin a shooting guard who could also swing easily over to the small forward/wing spot. Martin also has the ability to play the point guard in a pinch. Now we have sign a combo forward in Zeke Quinland who in Fish's program play the stretch power forward spot, but could see some time on the small forward/wing. So what are we going to do with the last two scholarships. It would not surprise me if Fish held one back for after the season. He always likes the the idea of being able to tweak the team personnel a little after the season is over, but for this post I am going to assume he will try to fill all 4 scholarships this fall. The coaches do not seem interested at all in point guards or true center. I personally would like to see us sign another wing (shooting guard or small forward) and another athletic 6-7 to 6-8 power forward, but from what I am hearing it would not surprise me if Fish signs a wing and then with his last scholarship either another wing or a 6-6ish uber athletic defensive minded (SG/SF/PF) type that he has been on the look for. So who's on the board

Keep an close eye on.

Gary Williams 6-4 SG Gahr HS in California. Williams is scheduled to be in Bozeman on an official visit this week end. He is a athletic, big muscular three point shooter who can make shots in the lane while receiving contact. This visit was set up over a month ago, if it is still on and we don't make any mistakes, I think we have an excellent chance of getting a commit from him.

Quenton Guliford 6-6 SF Liberty HS in Arizona I have heard after offering Guliford last week the coaches are trying to get him on campus for a visit ASAP. Given he has no current D-1 offered before the Bobcats offered last week and Fish made a special trip to see him (looking for that uber athletic deference player) if he had any brains (oh by the way did I mention he has a 4.0 GPA) he would grab the scholarship.

Dameane Douglas 6-6 small forward San Joanquin HS in Fresno After the summer Douglas was my #2 wish list guy of the wings behind Jared Martin. The guy is a double double machine averaging 25 points 15 rebounds a game last year. He has 8 schools at least who have offered him, but all with in Fish ability to recruit/compete. Now if a Pac 12 school popped up I think that would be it. Former Assistant Bandon Lincoln was recruiting him but Fish assigned Haslam to follow up. I hear he likes the coaches and what the program is doing but, Montana seems a long ways for him from home. I keep getting mixed messages as to if he is visiting, but could be a great get if we could get him here.

Europian Big - Rumor is the coaches are on a European athletic 6-8 PF. Possible game changer. Problem other schools moving in. Problem NCAA clearing house nightmare?

Hope we are still on them

Khalil Chapman 6-8 PF Franklin HS Oregon Brandon Lincoln was on him hard before he left, and I was hearing good things about our chances. Since Brandon has left I have not heard boo as to where we stand. In thruth though I am hearing little to nothing about Chapman's recruiting period, other than Oregon State is trying convince him to walk-on.

Kelton Samore 6-8 PF Gran HS Oregon Almost the exact same story as Chapman but he is not up to 6 more offer's. Pretty hot prospect among the Montana State, Boise State and Colgate crowd

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
mslacat wrote:It is hard to argue with a coach who has two consecutive freshman of the year (first ANY coach/program has ever had consecutive FOY) and who could darn well make it three in a row in 2017-18, BUT 0-2 in getting the best Montana Athlete and 0-2 head to head against the Griz (Anderson and Espy) it is hard to swallow. We should have 1-3 recruits in this week end and hopefully this can help wash this bad taste out of my mouth!
agree, overall Fish has done some amazing things turning the program around. And I love the recruits he has brought in..... BUT..... it would be nice to get a solid montana recruit once in a while. They are few and far between, but they are out there.

I have read quotes from Fish saying how he wishes we could fill the basketball arena more often with sell out crowds (like the cat-griz game)..... Having a winning program is definitely the best way to do that... but having a couple Montana kids on the roster doesn't hurt either..... especially a Bozeman kid. ](*,)

How do you get a kid who is a Griz fan to commit to the cats though? Really? I mean there are somethings that are just out of Fish's control. The Howard thing was obvious that he wanted his own legacy and can totally understand that logic. Playing behind your mom who was a legend here and your brother who was a good player is tough. I wouldn't say that either of those are huge losses by Fish. Yeah they would have been nice to have, but not a huge loss considering the griz never had a chance to land Howard and to compete with a kids preference growing up is very difficult with in Andersons case.
Anderson is tall and might bring a few more fans to the arena but will end up in the NAIA in a couple years just like Samuelson. Oh, and "small forward / 3 point shooting stretch 4"? Have you seen him play? Will never be a 3 point shooting stretch 4...he is being recruited as a "project" with excellent height. His true basketball skills are yet to be determined.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:46 pm

KIX wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Anderson is tall and might bring a few more fans to the arena but will end up in the NAIA in a couple years just like Samuelson. Oh, and "small forward / 3 point shooting stretch 4"? Have you seen him play? Will never be a 3 point shooting stretch 4...he is being recruited as a "project" with excellent height. His true basketball skills are yet to be determined.
In regards to Samuelson as mentioned above. I really thought he had a chance to be a solid Big Sky player after his play last year as a redshirt freshman. In the middle of the season had some pretty nice games when the Griz had a few injury problem scoring and in double figures. When the regulars came back he played less but still got it done for his limited minutes. The problem I was told that it was clear the two redshirt transfers were planned to step in and take the starting spots leaving him coming off the bench still.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Correction to what I posted a couple times before. Recruit Gary Williams will not be in this week-end but on the week-end of the 28th. I just had it in my mind that he was coming this week end and it was always scheduled for a week-end we actually were playing a home football game. On that note. "HEY football teams would you get your ass in gear and play a few god damn football games! We are trying to get some basketball recruiting done here.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:21 am

I am hearing the coaches are really liking (see above a few threads) Quentin Guliford 6-6 guard/forward from Liberty HS in Peoria AZ. despite only being ranked the 42 best prospect in Arizona, they like potential. Despite averaging only 8.4 points, 4.6 rebounds 2 ast and 2 stls a game the love his athleticism and his basketball IQ to hake an impact in the Big Sky. If they do sign him this will be one of those Fish things where he knows what he wants trust his judgement and just does it and it has worked out for him so far!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Not much to report but thought I might fill in some details.

Gary Williams 6-4 shooting guard out of California is scheduled to visit this week end, based on what his AAU coach tweeted 3-4 weeks ago. As far as I know we are still his only offer, but about 6-7 schools interest.

Quentin Guliford 6-6 guard/forward from Liberty HS in Peoria AZ. I have heard a rumor he also could be coming in but can not confirm

I went over to Casper Junior College and they finally have their roster up. I have been real curious to see it because I have been told Fish and Haslam have been putting a lot of players on the quad for academic or other reasons. Of the 13 player on their team 6 can be attributed Bobcats connections. I think they need to start paying part of Haslam's salary. Of note was Issac Bonton's former high school teammate Parkrose HS Wilfried Likayi. If you remember him I was gushing about the 6-7ish athletic demon all season and made it clear I really wished we could get him. Coming off a knee injury his recruitment tanked some. Well now 6 month later Likayi is listed on Casper roster as a 6-10 PF/C. I am not sure if Likayi is an NCAA qualifier (could go D-1 after his first year at the JC) or is a non-qualifier (needs to spend 2 year at the JC ranks) but he keeps getting more and more intriguing all the time.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 pm

I have confirmed that we have at least 2 recruits on campus this week end for offical visits. as mentioned before Gary Williams 6-4 shooting guard out of California is one and the other is Quentin Guliford 6-6 guard/forward from Liberty HS in Peoria AZ as we had speculated before. Williams is a solid to great prospect in the mold of Marcus Colbert. He is much bigger than Colbert in both height and muscle but Williams is not the true point guard Colbert was. Guliford is Fish's sleeper pick. Modest stats and only on D-1 offer, but an uber athlete, 7 foot wing span, a very high IQ (basketball or otherwise) and a very hard worker.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 am

Another Home game (only the 3rd this year) and usually a prime date to have a few more kids in for a recruiting trip. Recruits coming in for a week end football game generally arrive Thursday night or today, but as of right now I have no confirmed prospects coming in this week end. We will have to see.

other tidbits

After talking with a couple different people who have been talking to the coaches this week, the coaches are absolutely beside their selves happy about getting a commit from Quentin Guliford‏ they have no question the kid is going to be a big time Big Sky player.

Last week end we had 2 guard prospects in, but I think it was the plan to hopefully get 1 commit (which they did from Guliford) from the two and then hold back the last scholarship for a couple other (non-guard) prospects they hope to have in. I think there is still a possibility of signing Gary Williams Jr (the other guard) but I think both Williams and the coaches are on a wait and see mode right now.

Of the list of Prospects who are written about in this thread as (90% are/were offered) I bet we have 20-22, only 8 are still uncommitted as of today. This of course does not include any European prospects who the coaches may be after who are a lot more difficult to identify. Fish has sign at least one European player the last three years so that is still a strong possibility.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Tidbits

As far as I can tell we did not have any recruits in last week, and we may have pulled the majority of our offers (even to a kid who visited) or at least said we will wait and see about it this spring.

I still hear there is a European player who could be in the mix.

The three know recruit might be it for the fall. With Fish saving his last 1 (I hope it is not 2) scholarships for the spring.

Zeke Quinland's Hillcrest Prep high school team took on Eastern Arizona Junior College a week ago and the Hillcrest Prep thrashed the JC 108-86. Could not find a box score as it was considered a preseason scrimmage for both teams.

For both Quinlan and Martin don't expect for them to put up real goddy numbers like they did last year. both are playing on stacked prep school teams with many high major D-1 (high school recruited) players. I have heard a Duke big man recruit/commit will be playing with Quinlan. Expect the top 10 players on each team to eventually sign D-1 scholarships. Maybe 1 or 2 future NBA players. I really want to get a look at each schools roster. I think Quinlans Hillcrest Prep (who just signed an deal with Adidas) is considered to be a little bit better than Prolific Prep Martin will attend. Both should get valuable experience from these teams.

It also has been darn difficult to get box scores and season averages from these prep schools.

I expect the opposite from Commit Quentin Guiliford. He should be primed to increase his stats from last year. They are one of the Favorites in the Arizona 5A and if last season is any measure get lots of newspaper and Maxprep coverage. Quentin Guiliford also seems to one of those guys that Arizona prep hoop sites just love to talk about!

MSU Women's basketball had all three of their 2018 commits in Bozeman for the 1st FB game of the season. Since that time I have heard nothing about recruiting for 2018. Binford should have 2 scholarships still available for this year (2018), but all the buzz I am hearing is for 2019 and especially 2020 recruits. I think Binford also could be waiting till the spring to use her last two scholarships, either that or she has another recruit or two committed for 2018, because it seems the energy is going to 2019 and 2020 recruits. Again Binford is recruiting Minnesota, Colorado and Washington very hard (not to mention Billings)

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:53 pm

OK so I lied Fish is not done this fall. The week end of Oct 19th Fish is bring in 6-7 PF Jordan Robinson

Jordan Robinson 6-7 215lb PF from Riverside JC in California. Robinson is a freshman eligibility wise this year, but I understand is an NCAA academic Qualifier which means he has the grades to actually to qualify immediately for D-1 ball. If he were to sign he would have 3 year of eligibility at MSU. As a senior last year he played his high school ball at M. L. King High School leading them to a 20-8 record.. He averaged 17.1 points 14.3 rebounds 3 blocks, 2 steals and shot 54% field goal percentage He was pretty well known in recruiting circles but at some where between 6-5 and maybe 6-6 power forward last year a lot of schools were not willing to take a chance on him. It appears though he has continued to grow and is now at a solid 6-7. I think the coaches are hoping to get him signed before the JC season gets in full swing and he becomes not so hidden. Last summer why playing in a California All Star game he was named MVP after putting up 36 points and 18 rebounds, and oh yea before the game won the Slam Dunk Contest. As you will see watching the videos below he is quite the athlete!

Write up from ESPN 1/6/2016 (notice height)

Jordan Robinson
6-4, 180 | Class of 2017
Riverside, Calif.SchoolM. L. King High SchoolPositionPower ForwardStatus Undeclared
ESPN Analyst
Updated 01/06/2016

Strengths:
Robinson is a no nonsense post prospect with long arms and good hands. He is an instinctive rebounder (solid 1st jump) and he has a knack for always being around the ball at both ends. His offensive game is raw, but he can convert buckets off of offensive rebounds as well as over his left shoulder.
Weaknesses:
Robinson needs to continue to polish his offensive game. He needs to develop a go-to move (jump hook, up-and-under, etc.) to take his game to another level.
Bottom Line:
Robinson is another solid looking prospect in the class of 2017. Depending on his skill development and how his body fills out will be factors on where he he'll play at the next level.
video

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:11 am

Thursday update

As mentioned one post above 6-7(6-8?) PF/C Jordan Robinson from Riverside JC in Riverside Ca. will be visiting this week end starting later this evening, Would be a great pick up for the program as a senior last year for Martin Luther King High School in Riverside he was a walking double double player. He would have three years of eligibility if he were to commit/sign to the Bobcats, which I think is a strong possibility (unless Bozeman decides to have a blizzard this week end)

Wilfried Likayi a PF who MSU recruited as a senior and current Bobcats teammate at Parkrose HS in Portland, revived his first offer as a JC player earlier this week from Portland State. Likayi who is now listed on Casper JC roster at 6-10 in a JC "Jamboree" this past week and had a good showing along with Caspar. He is in the same position as Jordan Robinson, in that he can sign this year and bring 3 years of eligibility with him to a D-1 program. As such he should be a fairly hot commodity for the Big Sky level schools if he stays healthy, and possibly higher level if he hold out has a good year and signs this fall. <y money is on he signs with PSU.

I think MSU could have their 2018 fall recruiting wrapped up by early next week. Then it is wait to see if Tyler goes pro at the end of the year.