Edwards available

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Edwards available

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:15 am

Here would be the big man we need! Any thoughts!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Edwards available

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:10 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:21 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:Here would be the big man we need! Any thoughts!
Is he transferring? Took a peek on the web and did not see any scuttlebutt about a possible transfer.

Edwards has been entrenched so long at Gonzaga with hardly a peep seen of him on the floor it is hard to gauge how good he is and then he will only a single year left of eligibility. On the plus side Gonzaga has a great reputation for developing players especially big men. The biggest knock on Edwards coming out of high school was his quickness and ability to run the floor. I know for a fact both Huse and Tinkle felt this would hinder him at High Major - Gonzaga level and were looking for him to most likely transfer out after a year or two and then be in a position to possibly picking him up then. Both Huse and Tinkle have been replaced by Fish and DeCuire and both of these coaches have put an emphasis on getting up and down the court with center that run so one would wonder how he would fit in.. The major stumbling block, though, for Edwards to transfer out of Gonzaga to another D-1 school would be eligibility. Ryan is currently finishing up his junior year, and he has previously used a red shirt year at Gonzaga. If he did an normal transfer he would have to sit out a year under NCAA standard transfer rules. That second redshirt year (5th year total) would end his NCAA eligibility (athlete have 4 year of eligibility to use up in 5 consecutive years). Now he could qualify under the NCAA graduate transfer rules which mean if he finishes up his degree from Gonzaga this year he can transfer to another D-1 school with out sitting out under some conditions. So everything depends on where Edwards stands academically whether he could transfer to another D-1 school.

Would he be a good get for:

MOntana State: With Mandrell leaving we have 1 scholarship open and I think the coaches have the luxury of using that scholarship on the best player available regardless of position. Personally, though, I really wonder whether he is athletic enough to play for Brian Fish. Second Fish has not been very successful with big men transfers of the 4 he has signed none have made a very large impact, 3 have quit the team and 3 were constantly in his dog house. The biggest factor would be could he play the type of defense Fish demands. With only one year of eligibility whether Fish could get what he needs out of him. Still I think Fish is really making a push to make next year a big year for the Bobcats, adding more talent could not hurt and only uses a scholarship for 1 year.

MOntana: Montana just announced that 2 of their freshman big men have asked to transfer. So like MSU another big man might work out nicely. Like Fish, DeCuire, likes to push the ball and likes big men who can run the floor, but Edwards seems more of a natural fit into what they are doing and DuCuire really likes to pick up 1 or 2 D-1 transfers every year so this seems more like a natural fit.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:34 am

The loss of Samuelson surprised me as his dad was a great player

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:51 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:The loss of Samuelson surprised me as his dad was a great player

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Really surprised me. He averaged 5.1 points a game as freshamn in very limited minutes. He had a couple big games (I believe at least 1 double double) when Montana other Bigs got into foul trouble. I thought he was a very promising big man for them. The Griz have two big men D-1 transfers who will become eligible next year and from what I heard would have pushed Samuelson down the bench. I will be real interested to see if Samuelson looks for a JC to play for next year in hope of bouncing back to a d-1 school his junior year or whether he sigens with a D-2 or NAIA.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Edwards will not be transferring but he will not be playing basketball for Gonzaga either. He will be getting his degree this spring and will enter the work force and say good-bye to college basketball.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/4/ ... basketball

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 am

https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/status/879192440279777280

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:26 am

I have heard neither Montana D-1 schools made a run at Edwards

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:57 pm

I just read that Edwards will be the tallest player ever for PSU. 7'1 and 290 lbs. Good thing we can just nail 3's and don't have to go in against him. :)

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96