Spring Basketball recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:57 pm

You wanted a MOntana kid this spring.....
You got a Montana kid this spring

Darrien Garcia (a 5-10 PG) from Choteau MOntana has committed to walk-on with the Bobcats. He was in town last Saturday, proably with Espe and impressed enough Fish asked him to walk on. He averages 27 points a game last winter. He had 7 triple doubles in the regualr season and a high game of 43 points. More info below.

http://www.montanasports.com/2017/04/13 ... ana-state/



User avatar
mslacatfan
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 am

mslacat wrote:You wanted a MOntana kid this spring.....
You got a Montana kid this spring

Darrien Garcia (a 5-10 PG) from Choteau MOntana has committed to walk-on with the Bobcats. He was in town last Saturday, proably with Espe and impressed enough Fish asked him to walk on. He averages 27 points a game last winter. He had 7 triple doubles in the regualr season and a high game of 43 points. More info below.

http://www.montanasports.com/2017/04/13 ... ana-state/

The link does not work?

that's cool we got another montana kid though.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:12 am

They seemed to have pulled that story off their web page. I wonder what that means!? I still had the page open this morning on my computer so here is a cut and paste of what it said.
Choteau point guard Darrien Garcia to walk on at Montana State
By Tom Wylie - April 13, 20170
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter


CHOTEAU — When Choteau’s Darrien Garcia heats up on the basketball court, it’s tough to take your eyes off of him.

“Unorthodox,” is how describes his game. “I kind of shoot when the defenders are not ready for me to shoot. I drive when no one thinks I’m going to drive and I crossover when no one thinks I’m going to crossover. I like to get my defender off guard.”

Garcia recently got hot at an open gym in Bozeman, playing against Montana State players in front of the Bobcat coaching staff. His performance led to a walk-on offer from head coach Brian Fish.

“I talked to (coach Fish) a few times on the phone,” Garcia said. “I went up there last Saturday and that was the first time he watched me play. I did pretty well.

“They said they were in need of a point guard that can handle the ball and handle full court pressure. And I showed them that I can do that.”

After serving as a role player on Choteau’s back-to-back Class B state title teams in 2015 and 2016, Bulldogs head coach Matt Luedkte gave Garcia the keys to the offense as a senior. The sweet shooting point guard made the most of his freedom averaging 27 points per game on a team that finished second in the tough District 1B.

“To be able to have as much freedom as coach Luedtke gives me,” Garcia explained. “And the trust that he puts in us and the trust that we put in him. It was an amazing feeling.”

Garcia credits Luedtke with his development as a player and a person over his four years in Choteau.

“Freshman year I was just young and dumb I had a pretty bad temper and he just guided me through it,” recalled Garcia. “In basketball he helped me with everything. Every mistake I make he lets me know and everything good I do he lets me know. He helped me gain confidence.”

And now that confidence has led to an rare opportunity. Garcia had interest from several Frontier Conference schools but both he and coach Luedtke believed he could succeed at NCAA Division I level.

Now he’s out to prove he belongs.

“I’m hoping to just walk on for a year and I’m going to try my hardest to earn a scholarship,” said Garcia confidently. “I’m going to try my best and see what happens.”

Not many small school Montana kids have succeeded in Division I basketball. But remember, there’s nothing orthodox about Garcia’s game or his path to the next level.



mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:13 pm

FYI
Isaac Bonton's teammate 6-9 (that's what Casper JC is listing him as) Wilfried E. Likayi just signed with the previous mentioned Casper JC. He is the second previous bobcat recruit to find he way this year to Casper Not to mention a few London born players. We might hear more from Mr. Likayi



mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:51 pm

So Binford gets the most interesting spring recruiting .... so far with the Bobcats rumored second transfer commit of the spring from Seton Hall

Rumor has it that Bonford has gotten a commitment from 6-1 forward Claire Lundberg from Seton Hall. Lundburg is originally from Andover, MN.played for Anoka HS. Lundburg played AAU ball for Minnesota Fury and is the 5th player from that club to signor commit with the Bobcats this year. She joins fellow Seton Hall transfer Martha Kunderer to commit to the Bobcats this spring. Lundberg started 27 of 31 games for SHU avg 25min 7pts 3rbs she also shot 34% both the field & 3pt range. In high school she averaged 18 points a game and was an all state selection. Lundberg just finished out her junior year so she will only have a single year of eligibility remaining. I don't think she is a graduate transfer so I expect her to have to sit out the 2017-18 season and play for the cats in 2018-19. From the reading I have done this evening she sounds like a prototypical Binford front court player. She runs the court very well, she is in the 6-1 range, can play multiple positions and she is very dangerous from 3 point range. I would expect her to play small forward & power forward for the Bobcats.



User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5615
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:08 pm

It has been an interesting spring for MSUWBB.
Recruiting Minnesota makes sense. The Twin Cities metro area has almost 4 million people. There is only one D-1 school there (the Gophers). There are lots of direct flights between Bozeman and the Twin Cities for the players to get home and the their families to come to games. Montana's weather isn't going to bother a kid from Minnesota in the least. I've never met a Minnesotan who didn't like Montana.



MSU01
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3713
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by MSU01 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:32 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:It has been an interesting spring for MSUWBB.
Recruiting Minnesota makes sense. The Twin Cities metro area has almost 4 million people. There is only one D-1 school there (the Gophers). There are lots of direct flights between Bozeman and the Twin Cities for the players to get home and the their families to come to games. Montana's weather isn't going to bother a kid from Minnesota in the least. I've never met a Minnesotan who didn't like Montana.
Agreed - Minnesota is by far the largest state with only one D-1 program (the others are Hawaii, Vermont, Wyoming, and Maine). MSU has had pretty decent success with men's players from Minnesota, so nice to see the women's team going there too and in a big way! Binford must feel pretty confident about her roster for next year to be using two scholarships on transfers who can't play until the 2018-19 season.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Will Darren Garcia be replacing one of the current Bobcat walk-ons, Cooper Olsen or Dallas Lussier?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD



mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:59 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:Will Darren Garcia be replacing one of the current Bobcat walk-ons, Cooper Olsen or Dallas Lussier?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Not necessarily they are completely independent issue



GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:33 am

I follow Choteau basketball quite a bit and have watched Darrien play for the last few years. He is a good frontier player I think, but not sure that he is D1. I know he has put some serious time in the gym in the off season and works hard at it, but D1 is a whole different game than class B. I think and hope Fish is just bringing in someone to help out at practice. Dallas graduates next year so another body to fill in for practice can always help. Choteau had a couple kids the last couple years that were great athletes and great shooters and one of them was maybe on the fringe of D1, but due to size will do better at the frontier school he ended up at. 5'10" at the D1 level is pretty tough unless you have a 40+ inch vertical. I wasn't really impressed with either of the guys who Harry knew, but the kid from London looked like he could be a player down the road and he had some length to him. We will see.



Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7222
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Binford adds pair of Seton Hall transfers
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-women-si ... transfers/


TWITTER:@Skylinesportsmt
FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/skylinesportsmt1
BIG SKY BREAKDOWN ON ITUNES
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big ... 1131856462
SUBSCRIBE TO SKYLINE SPORTS
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Bozeman

Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Binford adds pair of Seton Hall transfers
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-women-si ... transfers/
Interesting. I wonder why they are both leaving Seton Hall?



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Bozeman

Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Binford adds pair of Seton Hall transfers
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-women-si ... transfers/
Record dropped from 28 wins and 23 wins to 12-19 this year, including 1-12 on the road. Team issues?



duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by duelalumnicat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am

So for the men, the remaining possible spring signing candidates, so far as we know, are PG Jaizec Lottie and F Antonio Pilipovic?



mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:49 am

On the front page of this thread there is a lit of players the Bobcats offered between Febuary and March. One would guess that some if not all of these names are still in play, but the only names I know who have been either in for visit are PG Jaizec Lottie and F Antonio Pilipovic. The are most likely a few names out there we do not know. I also would not be surprised at all if the coaches are also looking to see what D-1 transfers become/are available.



phantom
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by phantom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:46 pm

mslacat wrote:On the front page of this thread there is a lit of players the Bobcats offered between Febuary and March. One would guess that some if not all of these names are still in play, but the only names I know who have been either in for visit are PG Jaizec Lottie and F Antonio Pilipovic. The are most likely a few names out there we do not know. I also would not be surprised at all if the coaches are also looking to see what D-1 transfers become/are available.
Always so difficult to tell which kids actually have offers and which ones don't. That's not a Montana State thing, that's everywhere. Coaches cannot talk about who they are recruiting, and many times kids will say they have an offer, when they don't. I would assume that the staff is doing it's due diligence on kids and making evaluations. A graduate transfer may make some sense, as would a traditional D-1 transfer.



mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:41 pm

I am not real high on this coming to be, but n interesting thing just happened. Former Bobcat (for about 2 weeks) Kavell Bigby Williams has just asked for a release from Oregon. Where ever he ends up he would have to sit out a year and have one year of eligibility remaining the following year.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5193
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 pm

mslacat wrote:I am not real high on this coming to be, but n interesting thing just happened. Former Bobcat (for about 2 weeks) Kavell Bigby Williams has just asked for a release from Oregon. Where ever he ends up he would have to sit out a year and have one year of eligibility remaining the following year.
From the things he had to say when he decommitted from MSU, I really don't think he wants to be in Bozeman...


Image

mslacat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:39 pm

91catAlum wrote:
mslacat wrote:I am not real high on this coming to be, but n interesting thing just happened. Former Bobcat (for about 2 weeks) Kavell Bigby Williams has just asked for a release from Oregon. Where ever he ends up he would have to sit out a year and have one year of eligibility remaining the following year.
From the things he had to say when he decommitted from MSU, I really don't think he wants to be in Bozeman...
tHOSE WERE MY THOUGHTS ALSO!



hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:18 am

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by hokeyfine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 am

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ncart_2box
any thoughs mslacat? would he entertain coming here?



Post Reply