MSU vs Washington - NCAA Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU vs Washington - NCAA Tournament

Post by imacat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:These last two seasons with this team-I don't know if I can put into words how fun and special they've been. Thanks first and foremost to our classy seniors, the team, the staff, and the former players who paved the way. Coach Binford has got a good thing going here.

How about Peyton Ferris dropping 33 on a great Pac-12 team and leaving to a standing ovation at Hec-Ed. That is beautiful stuff right there. I'll never forget this team.
You found the word I was struggling to find to describe this team. The word is CLASSY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:39 am

Incredible season by these Bobcats. They've represented MSU well. Hats off to our seniors; Barhoum, Nordgaard and Ferris. You'll be missed. Peyton's performance last night raised a few eyebrows. In the linked article, it mentions the performance by Ferris as being more impressive than Plum's.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/mar/ ... r-bobcats/#

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 am

Really saw the fight in this team and Peyton is amazing!! She had a huge size disadvantage and still hung in there. They called a foul on her when osahor pretty much went over the top and landed on her... Sorry still bitter about that one.

The cats will be good next year but need to find someo with the will to carry the team. You could see them deferring to Peyton once things started to go bad last night.

Great season girls! We are all really proud of you!!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:09 am

imacat wrote:I am very proud of this team. They are wonderful representatives/ambassadors for Montana State University. They make me proud to say I am a BOBCAT!!

I'd echo this. Also, it was really cool listening to the announcers compliments of our program and the exposure we had on ESPN.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:23 am

technoCat wrote:Really saw the fight in this team and Peyton is amazing!! She had a huge size disadvantage and still hung in there. They called a foul on her when osahor pretty much went over the top and landed on her... Sorry still bitter about that one.

The cats will be good next year but need to find someo with the will to carry the team. You could see them deferring to Peyton once things started to go bad last night.

Great season girls! We are all really proud of you!!
MSU's freshman class from this year appears to be very talented with Oliana Squires, Blaire Braxton, and Madeline Smith all making significant contributions as true freshmen and Braxton starting for most or all of the season. I would expect a bit of a dropoff next year as it seems impossible to replace Ferris and Nordgaard, but I also won't be surprised if Binford is able to reload instead of rebuild and have MSU right back up near the top of the conference standings right away.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:27 am

Congrats on an INCREDIBLE season! One of the best in the history of the program.

Still a lot of talent returning next season, this program is looking very solid for many years to come.

=D^ =D^ =D^

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Fun game to watch! When you looked at the size difference between the two teams you could see an advantage for UW. Didn't stop the Bobcats from playing hard! Congratulations on a great year!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Washington just beat Oklahoma 108-82 to punch their ticket to the sweet 16. They beat us by a 2 point larger margin. OU beat Gonzaga fairly comfortably-the Sooners are really good. So our Bobcats just ran into a red hot buzz saw of a team on Saturday. Rotten luck on that draw, but they went out in a blaze of glory as far as I'm concerned.

Kelsey Plum had 38 points and 11 assists.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Washington just beat Oklahoma 108-82 to punch their ticket to the sweet 16. They beat us by a 2 point larger margin. OU beat Gonzaga fairly comfortably-the Sooners are really good. So our Bobcats just ran into a red hot buzz saw of a team on Saturday. Rotten luck on that draw, but they went out in a blaze of glory as far as I'm concerned.

Kelsey Plum had 38 points and 11 assists.
It definitely puts our loss into perspective when the number 6 seed got beat by UW by essentially the same margin as we did. It will be interesting to see how far they go in the tourney. Next up is 2nd seeded Mississippi State, and if they get by them, they'll have to face top seeded Baylor which has been even more dominant than U-Conn through the first two rounds. They beat Texas Southern 119-30 (that's right...an 89 point margin) and Cal 86-46. I've paid more attention than normal to the women's tourney this year with MSU being in it, and it's amazing how much less parity there is, as compared to the men. There's been a bunch of really lopsided scores in the first two rounds. I'll be rooting for U-Dub all the way, as I figure the better they do, the better it makes us look. I think they have a good chance against the other MSU, but I don't think they'll beat Baylor.

Anyway, congrats to our MSU ladies on a very valiant effort on Saturday, and an amazing season overall. Washington is so much bigger than us, that it was virtually impossible to go inside against them, so we didn't have much choice except to bomb away from 3-point land, and has already been mentioned by several others, we would have had to hit at least 50% from three, in order to keep the final score close at all. Even then, we managed to hang around within 10 or so until midway through the 3rd quarter, when they finally started pulling away. I'm hopeful that Binford has established a program that will continue to be a perennial contender in the BSC, and I'm confident that it won't be another 24 years before the next time our women are in The Dance.

Edit: Congrats also to Peyton Ferris for outscoring the all time leading scorer in the history of NCAA women's basketball. What a great way to close out a glorious career, with 33 points in an NCAA tourney game.

Edit #2: I just realized that I misspelled Peyton's last name originally, so I corrected it. My apologies to her.
Last edited by John K on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 am

John K wrote: Edit: Congrats also to Peyton Farris for outscoring the all time leading scorer in the history of NCAA women's basketball. What a great way to close out a glorious career, with 33 points in an NCAA tourney game.
One of the articles said that Peyton's 33 points was the most given up by Washington to an individual player this year. She well deserved her two MVP awards.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Congrats to the lady Bobcats! Great season and one to remember. I think you're going to see a lot of NCAA appearances from this squad the next couple of years. I know we're losing 3 players and two starters, but I like the direction the team is headed. We had a great freshman class this year and I'm excited about the class coming in next fall. Might be time to give coach Binford some credit! Took the program to new heights and the future is bright!

Bobcat4Ever

MSU vs Washington - NCAA Tournament

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Ilikecats wrote:Congrats to the lady Bobcats! Great season and one to remember. I think you're going to see a lot of NCAA appearances from this squad the next couple of years. I know we're losing 3 players and two starters, but I like the direction the team is headed. We had a great freshman class this year and I'm excited about the class coming in next fall. Might be time to give coach Binford some credit! Took the program to new heights and the future is bright!
Exactly. I was disappointed when Coach Binford did not win the Coach of the Year award again. She lost three premier players from last year and was the only Big Sky team to beat North Dakota in Grand Forks.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Big Sky Breakdown: Nach on Sports spot on KGEZ Kalispell
http://skylinesportsmt.com/kgez-3-22/

In this episode, Colter Nuanez joins Anthony Nachreiner of the Nach on Sports on KGEZ in Kalispell, Montana to break down the first day of spring drills at Montana State and recap MSU’s women’s basketball team’s trip to the NCAA Tournament last weekend.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am

Kelsey Plum was the number one overall pick in the WNBA draft (San Antonio).