Kudos to KBZK's Ted Dawson

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Kudos to KBZK's Ted Dawson

Post by aucat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks Ted for publicizing the Lady Cats return time to the Bozeman airport
and for also being there to cover it. No other media outlet was there except
you. Thanks for your coverage of the Montana State Lady Bobcats and MSU
athletics.

http://www.kbzk.com/story/34735050/bobc ... =DailyNews

77matcat
Member # Retired

Re: Kudos to KBZK's Ted Dawson

Post by 77matcat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:29 am

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Thanks Ted!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 am

I was pretty surprised at the lack of coverage on this. I know women's basketball isn't the most popular sport around, but when a local team makes a national tournament, it's a big deal. The Billings Gazette had the men's championship game between two out of state teams ahead of the article on the women's game. The Great Falls Tribune had no effort at all. So I have to second the effort of Ted for showing support.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:32 pm

I don't normally applaud anyone for doing what they should do, but since he's the only one doing it then, yes, thanks Ted.

I'm not sure why, but basketball coverage in Montana has really gotten bad.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:37 pm

I find it so strange that the missoula college homers on abc didn't cover it! :wink:

And the local sales force in Bozeman still doesn't get the hint of why I won't buy advertising.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Coverage by the MT media of the MSU women's championship has been poor to say the least. Maybe they look at the attendance and assume there is not that much interest. In my opinion they assume wrongly and I've let them know, but expect no real change. It would take a lot of squeaking wheels and that probably isn't happening.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Well they did go head-to-head with all the high school tournaments and national tournaments, but I suppose that's the case every year. Sometimes the attention doesn't come until afterwards, so maybe they'll get some attention next year if they are winning again. There's a pretty solid core returning. If MSU can get some in state talent and continue to beat UM they could get the media on their side.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks, Ted and KBZK.

Isn't KBZK the only actual local channel that we have? The other one's try to cover it up pretty well but I think they are based in Butte or Missoula or someplace. Channel 6 NBC closed their studio here a few years ago and channel 5 ABC/FOX/whatever seem to be in Missoula. I only ever watch KBZK since they seem to be local. No surprise there was no other TV coverage. Disappointed in the Great Falls paper as they seem to get talked up a lot.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:02 pm

You know that there would have been better/more coverage if it had been the mighty Lady Griz that won the tourney. Anyone who tries to tell you that local media (broadcast and print) in Montana isn't biased towards UM is full of BS.

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:26 pm

John K wrote:You know that there would have been better/more coverage if it had been the mighty Lady Griz that won the tourney. Anyone who tries to tell you that local media (broadcast and print) in Montana isn't biased towards UM is full of BS.
I am not going to comment on bias because I believe bias is often in the eye of the beholder. I am just commenting on Montana media in general. Newspapers are dying all over the place. The Great Falls Tribune has had massive layoffs. Mansch has had to expand his reporting beyond sports to all areas in order to keep a job. Most of the sports articles are straight from USA today. Very little local sports reporting is happening and the TV outlets are not much better. It is a changing media and Montana with it's small population and limited resources is not well positioned to stay with the speed that it is occurring.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Going the way of buggy whip makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm

grizatwork wrote:
John K wrote:You know that there would have been better/more coverage if it had been the mighty Lady Griz that won the tourney. Anyone who tries to tell you that local media (broadcast and print) in Montana isn't biased towards UM is full of BS.
I am not going to comment on bias because I believe bias is often in the eye of the beholder. I am just commenting on Montana media in general. Newspapers are dying all over the place. The Great Falls Tribune has had massive layoffs. Mansch has had to expand his reporting beyond sports to all areas in order to keep a job. Most of the sports articles are straight from USA today. Very little local sports reporting is happening and the TV outlets are not much better. It is a changing media and Montana with it's small population and limited resources is not well positioned to stay with the speed that it is occurring.
On that, we can agree. I think the Tribune is still the best paper in the state, but it has really deteriorated the last few years.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 pm

I think Colter figured out the future of sports journalism several years before most others did.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:46 pm

MSU01 wrote:I think Colter figured out the future of sports journalism several years before most others did.
Second that. I'd rather have a tiny paper with all local coverage than the big thing with copies of AP and USA Today articles. Colter has zeroed in on what is of interest to his readers, and I love the depth of his articles.

Congratulations again to the women's basketball team, and it was fun to see them at the airport. Pretty happy bunch but still hungry to keep on playing.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:10 pm

We did not get back from Reno until 4 p.m. on Sunday. We drove. Reno is a great time, probably my favorite week of the entire year, honestly. But don't drive. It's a brutal drive. If you are going to drive, drive to Salt Lake and fly or to Vegas and drive up. It's such a brutal trek, especially if you hit weather between Jackpot, Wells and Winemucca. But it was well worth it, particularly to be there for moments like this:

Montana State women's basketball press conference after Big Sky tournament championship game
http://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-stat ... onference/