ESPN's Bracketology for Women's Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

ESPN's Bracketology for Women's Tournament

Post by catscat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:26 am

I see ESPN is picking MSU's women as a 14 seed and playing Washington in the first round.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask ... acketology

Any idea if these guys have any accuracy at all?

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: ESPN's Bracketology for Women's Tournament

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:07 am

I'd say it's about as accurate as one can be given the inherent unlikelihood of being able to predict exactly how 64 teams are going to be fit into a bracket like that. Last year, the 3 vs 14 games were UCLA vs Hawaii, Kentucky vs UNC-Asheville, Louisville vs Central Arkansas, and Ohio State vs Buffalo and the 2 vs 15 games were Arizona State vs New Mexico State, Texas vs Alabama State, Maryland vs Iona, and Oregon State vs Troy - unless it was a coincidence, this does make it appear as though teams are matched up regionally if possible once seeds are figured out. My guess would be that if MSU is a 14 seed and Washington is a 3, there's a pretty high likelihood they will be matched up together.

67AirCat
New Recruit

Re: ESPN's Bracketology for Women's Tournament

Post by 67AirCat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 pm

While this prediction - playing Washington at Seattle - would allow the best possibility for the Bobcat fan base to see this game, I hope it doesn't play out this way. I'm also a Husky fan and have been following their team for the latter part of the season. It's essentially the same team that was a Cinderella team last year that made it to the Final Four. Kelsey Plum is the all time leading scorer in the history of women's basketball and is a semifinalist for the national player of the year and most likely will win it. Chantel Osafor is a power forward - with emphasis on power - who leads the nation in rebounds and double doubles. She set the Pac 12 record with 30 rebounds in a conference game before she was taken out with almost a quarter remaining. Her pregame warmup consists of sitting cross-legged at the free throw line and shooting from that position. She's also a three point threat when left alone. Their supporting cast isn't too shabby either. Unfortunately, they lost their first game of the Pac 12 tournament to Oregon, and this dropped them in the national rankings and resulted in their predicted number 3 seed in the Lexington bracket. I think they will come to the dance with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

I see the College Sports Madness bracket has our girls seeded 15 and playing Florida State at College Park, Maryland. That's a long trip, and we would most likely lose out on the State of Washington fan base that would attend a game in Seattle. That bracket prediction has #3 Texas playing #14 Long Beach State at Seattle. My hope, then, is for the committee to rank the Bobcats 14th and Texas 3rd and play them in Seattle. That would probably put the Huskies in a different region but then I could root for both of my teams!

We'll see what happens at 5:00 p.m.