Does the BSC Tournament Belong in Reno?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Does the BSC Tournament Belong in Reno?

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:56 am

Appears the crowds were lacking again for the championship. UND/Weber drew just 2025 fans last night. Does anyone believe Reno is the right place for this tournament? I think the tournament should be in Billings. Some would consider this a home court advantage for the Montana schools. However, the Summit league hold their tournament in Sioux Falls. The championship drew 9000+. I believe the contract with Reno is on for one more year. We should start lobbying for Billings now.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Does the BSC Tournament Belong in Reno?

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 am

How about this for a solution-

First of all, the tournament being held in Reno is just stupid. I believe the vast majority of fans across the big sky feel the same way.

Why this Pre-determined site? (Compared to the conf winner holding the tourney, how it used to be)
From my understanding, the biggest reason is that it is hard for all the schools to figure out travel details on such short notice, which is understandable.

So how about this idea-
The regular season conference champs, win the tournament site for the following season... so in this years example, the lady cats would have won the tournament site for next season, in bozeman (cuz they were the regular season conference champs).

This gives added incentive to the regular season winners (get to host tourney the next year). And it gives the schools plenty of time to schedule flights/hotels for the next years tournament....

It might not be perfect, but this layout would sure as hell be better then the current system (in my opinion)

Thoughts???

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:46 am

The women's NAIA tournament begins this week in Billings. It wouldn't hurt for those of us that are in the area to stop in for a game or two.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:16 am

I don't think there would have been that many more fans for the MBB champ. game last night if it was in Billings. I guess they could go back to the old system and pray the host teams make the final.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 am

While I would like Billings. Ogden makes more sense. Or SLC

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 am

mslacatfan wrote:How about this for a solution-

First of all, the tournament being held in Reno is just stupid. I believe the vast majority of fans across the big sky feel the same way.

Why this Pre-determined site? (Compared to the conf winner holding the tourney, how it used to be)
From my understanding, the biggest reason is that it is hard for all the schools to figure out travel details on such short notice, which is understandable.

So how about this idea-
The regular season conference champs, win the tournament site for the following season... so in this years example, the lady cats would have won the tournament site for next season, in bozeman (cuz they were the regular season conference champs).

This gives added incentive to the regular season winners (get to host tourney the next year). And it gives the schools plenty of time to schedule flights/hotels for the next years tournament....

It might not be perfect, but this layout would sure as hell be better then the current system (in my opinion)

Thoughts???
That's not a bad idea. I like it better than Billings every year, where there is no big sky team and not much hometown interest. Like Reno...

Why not schedule it in a different big sky city each year, but taking turns rather than based on season winners - like how class AA basketball is in Montana (it was held in Great falls this year, Bozeman last year, etc).

That way, everybody in the conference gets a crack at hosting, schedule is known years in advance so logistics aren't a problem. Small cities could host in nearby bigger cities (Spokane not Cheney, etc).

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 am

mslacatfan wrote:How about this for a solution-

So how about this idea-

Thoughts???
They did that back in the 80's. We hosted in 1988 because we won the regular season title the year before. I believe that tournament set records for attendance in all sessions as Bozeman really turned out in force. But I doubt they go that route again because the Big Sky has too many remote locations that just won't be good for hosting. Are there enough motel rooms in Moscow or Cedar City for 11 teams, cheerleaders, bands, and fans? Can you get to Flagstaff from here?

I really like the idea of having both the men's and women's tournament at the same time in the same location. As a fan of both teams, I wouldn't want to have to decide who to travel to go see, and I would be more likely to go if I could at least see my school play 2 games. Also that way the band and cheerleaders can support both teams.

I give credit to the Big Sky for giving it a try, but clearly Reno isn't working out from an attendance standpoint. The totally neutral location has provided some great basketball for sure, but there's nobody there to see it. Reno isn't easy to get to for anyone. Even Sac State had trouble getting there due to snow storms. I hope some of those who actually went to the tournament report back about the experience. Attendance is very important, but it may not be the only deciding factor.

Giving the tournament to last seasons winner kills the competitive bid process. Instead making deals on hotel packages and stuff like that, the host City will probably jack their rates for everything.

Last time out, Billings made the mistake of only bidding on the men's tournament. If they're serious about getting it, they need to host both the men's and women's. I think that part has been popular with the schools and I doubt they break them up. Maybe them hosting the NAIA will give them a chance to iron out the wrinkles and show whether or not the folks in Billings will turn out for out-of-state teams.

I think Salt Lake City probably makes the most sense if they can find someone down there to bid on it and they can find an adequate venue that's available. SLC is a direct flight for most everyone, it's bus-able for several Big Sky schools, there are lots of alumni from most Big Sky schools there, and Weber has the biggest basketball fan base (for the men anyway) and probably deserves to have it close by. If the tournament was in SLC I would have driven down for it. We drove down there last year for the WNIT game and it was easy and we had fun despite the outcome of the game.

Spokane is another good location because it's easy for a lot of Big Sky schools to get to. Last time out their bid was to host the men's tournament in the Spokane Arena and put the women's tournament in Cheney. How would our women have done against EWU in Cheney if the tournament was there? So I don't like that idea.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:48 am

This is not good: https://twitter.com/JeffPapworth/status/840780137436069888

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:13 am

A short interview with the Big Sky Commish. She emphasized the neutral court, having the men's and women's tournaments together, and the "Olympic Village" feel. It will be interesting to see if all that is more or less important than a more full arena.
http://www.swxrightnow.com/category/160 ... start=true

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:01 pm

A plug from an SUU guy to move the tournament to Vegas. It could be a lot of fun to be mixed in with the other four tournaments already being held there.
http://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports ... /99076506/

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:32 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:A plug from an SUU guy to move the tournament to Vegas. It could be a lot of fun to be mixed in with the other four tournaments already being held there.
http://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports ... /99076506/
Personally I'd love to see it in Vegas because my wife and I go there every couple years anyway.
But I don't see attendance getting too much better there, or even SLC. Certainly it would go up a bit with the more convenient flights, but you need some local interest to really make attendance great. This is the Big Sky, not the Big East. Folks in SLC and especially Vegas have a lot of other options than watching the conference tourney for one of the lowest D1 basketball conferences in the country.
Gotta have local interest, ie, a city in the big sky.

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 pm

I don't really want to be Debbi Downer here but we need to have a little perspective on this topic. I know I am not saying anything new but Big Sky Basketball is not a draw. I follow it more than most and there is no way I am ever going to Reno, EVER. No one wants to go to Billings either at least Reno has real gambling. Having 1000 fans In the stands is embarrassing for the conference and for the fans. The only thing that makes sense is to have the conference winner host the year they win.
In general the only team that can draw a decent crowd from game to game is Weber, they played in the championship game this year and 1000 people showed up. I couldn't even watch the game on TV this year because I don't have ESPNU, espn doesn't care to put the game on a channel that people have.
MSU had a nice team this year and we have the best player that MSU will probably ever have. It was still a chore getting 2k to show up game to game (I know we sold out the Griz game). How many people are going to go to Reno if they are not showing up for home games. I understand travel is hard but schools were doing it for years they can figure it out.
With that said if they really needed a neutral site SLC is the only option. There is at least a little local interest (Weber/SUU). It is easy travel for a lot of people with Big Sky connections (eastern Idaho, Utah even some places in MT) and there is other things to do when your team loses. Like make a ski trip out of it, go shopping take a bus to Wendover for gambling. Reno has most of those things except easy travel and local teams/interest. I think it is safe to say Reno isn't working out. If I had a vote I say put it back to the conference champ hosting.

22-0

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 pm

I'd like to see Spokane arena. Multiple teams could bus. Decent sized airport. VP of ticketswest is a MSU grad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Is there any reason why Portland is never mentioned as an option? They certainly have the venue and air connections and alumni from Big Sky schools. Certainly not my favorite place to travel this time of year, but not an option I'd ignore.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:42 pm

I haven’t seen attendance numbers for all the high school class basketball tournaments this year but I would expect that the attendance at each of those tournaments was 3 to 4, maybe even 5 times higher than the attendance at Reno for the BSC tourney. If I were in a business in Billings that benefited from tourist traffic associated with an event like a basketball tourney I would put all my effort into getting numerous high school tourneys every year and only support hosting a BSC tourney on a weekend that didn’t conflict with a high school tourney weekend.

If I were an AD or the commissioner of BSC my focus would be on the best financial outcome along with the best experience for athletes and fans. Danged if I know what that answer is.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Spokane. Easy to fly in and out of and not as expensive as flying into Billings. And for ewu, msu, um, ui, and psu it's drivable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:09 pm

lutecat wrote:Spokane. Easy to fly in and out of and not as expensive as flying into Billings. And for ewu, msu, um, ui, and psu it's drivable.

I am not saying that you don't make a good point as far as travel goes, but who the hell wants to go to Spokane? My main point is no one wants to travel to watch a Big Sky basketball game at all. If the conference tournament was in Vegas (a place many people love to travel to) the stands would be empty. Maybe they should have it in Cancun, it would be different, it would get some press and the teams would like to travel there. I know they have a preseason basketball tourney there.
In reality as far as butts in seats the conference champ is the way to go.

22-0

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:22 pm

orsalak wrote:
lutecat wrote:Spokane. Easy to fly in and out of and not as expensive as flying into Billings. And for ewu, msu, um, ui, and psu it's drivable.

I am not saying that you don't make a good point as far as travel goes, but who the hell wants to go to Spokane? My main point is no one wants to travel to watch a Big Sky basketball game at all. If the conference tournament was in Vegas (a place many people love to travel to) the stands would be empty. Maybe they should have it in Cancun, it would be different, it would get some press and the teams would like to travel there. I know they have a preseason basketball tourney there.
In reality as far as butts in seats the conference champ is the way to go.
I disagree. I would drive to Spokane to watch basketbal for a tournament. And I would watch all the games I could. I'm not driving or flying to Reno. Just don't want to spend the money or take that much time to get there.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:49 pm

I like the neutral site tournament and allowing all of the teams to participate, as it makes planning easier for both teams and fans instead of maybe not knowing the tournament site until a week before it happens. However, Reno isn't the draw that I think the conference was hoping it would be and is probably just too far away geographically from the schools that travel the best (134 miles to Sac State is the closest school, and they don't draw well for games in Sacramento) that it won't be a viable option for more than a few hundred fans per game.

Billings, Spokane, Salt Lake City, and Vegas would all be better options, but other than Vegas they definitely provide an advantage for certain schools (MSU/UM for Billings, EWU/UI/maybe UM for Spokane, and Weber for SLC. A rotation among three or four of these locations could be ideal, although who knows if any of them would have an interest in only hosting once every three or four years.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:09 pm

No, it doesn't belong in Reno. Spokane, Salt Lake and even Denver are much better choices. I could live with it being in Boise or Seattle but Reno? Nope.