MSU vs ISU BSC Championship Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs ISU BSC Championship Thread

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:43 pm

BobcatDel wrote:On the radio, mentioned that the Bobcat girls held teams to less than 60 points in their last 4 games and 5 of the last 6 games (regular season and tourney). Defense wins a lot of games. I wonder how the Bobcats rank statistically by defense in the conference. Super effort!
That's it right there. We never shot the ball particularly well all tournament, we just kept getting stops. In the evolution of a team, this is where you need to be. Men's team, I hope you were watching.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:50 pm

grizzh8r wrote:Congrats lady cats! Been far too long. Hopefully the MSU men can follow the same script next season. Upset in the first round to BSC tourney champs! Hopefully the get a good seeding in the national tournament. 14? 13? What do you WBB experts say?
Winning is even sweeter when it is preceded by utter disappointment and heartbreak. I need to remember that when my team goes down in a heart breaker. This win feels as sweet as any in my sports watching career. That loss last season to ISU was absolutely gut wrenching for me, so I can't imagine what it was like for the team and staff. I hope last year's seniors, Hommes, Dawkins, Stockton were watching and get to partake in some the joy as well, they had a huge hand in getting this program here. So yeah, if the men could follow a script like that, how amazing would it be?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:56 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wrangler wrote:Ferris and Nordgaard have that competitive fire that is necessary to win tough games. Not only do they want the ball during crucial moments, but they deliver. The hustle and grit of the entire team was outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or in Riley's case, she will take the ball away from whoever has it like a rabid badger, leaving nothing but a bloody stump where a hand or an arm used to be. =D^
Ha! That got me laughing out loud....besides the girls winning that comment made my afternoon...and its true!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Awesome job Cats!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:30 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:On the radio, mentioned that the Bobcat girls held teams to less than 60 points in their last 4 games and 5 of the last 6 games (regular season and tourney). Defense wins a lot of games. I wonder how the Bobcats rank statistically by defense in the conference. Super effort!
That's it right there. We never shot the ball particularly well all tournament, we just kept getting stops. In the evolution of a team, this is where you need to be. Men's team, I hope you were watching.
Exactly. This is what I was trying to explain to my buddy after the Bobcats went down on Tuesday. The Men's team is much more talented now than they were three years ago but they haven't taken that next step yet. A couple games this year, they picked it up on the defensive end when their offense wasn't working and they grinded out wins. The first half of that SUU game, it looked pretty as our team was hitting on all cylinders between offense and defense. And then we lost that game in the first 10 minutes of the second half because we simply didn't get stops. Teams go on runs during basketball games and SUU shot a ridiculous percentage in the second half. But we didn't step up and get stops and part of the reason they shot so well was because of mediocre perimeter defense. The men's team will be even better next year with the eligibility of the two transfers who give us great depth and possibly a new starter (Konner Frey is good) and Isaac Bonton is legit as another young guard. But Tyler Hall, Zach Green, Harold Frey, and Sam Neumann have to take that next step in leadership next year. The boys beat some really good Big Sky teams this year so they have taken that next step in terms of competition. But now they have to go out and believe they are the best team on the floor every game. If they want to be considered one of the best teams in the conference, you have to prove it and getting beat by a far less superior team like SUU does not get the job done.

In contrast, the girls played three very tough, clunky games to win this thing. Even though it wasn't pretty, other players (Annika Lai was outstanding in this tournament) stepped up in key situations and they played with confidence. When Noorgaard and Ferris weren't on, Caudill and Junkermeier were. They played like they were the best team in the tournament and a lot of it had to do with leadership, extra effort, and getting stops on defense.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Breaking news from BSC office...

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 pm

...MSU will be vacating women's BSC title...

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 pm

...MSU cannot win BB title in BSC tournament...

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:18 pm

...in same season as team of opposite sex loses out in first game.

toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:23 pm

TomCat88 wrote:...in same season as team of opposite sex loses out in first game.
I laughed at your posts but the point I was trying to make was out of respect for the women and what they accomplished. The men's team could learn a thing or two from the women in terms of mental toughness and finishing games. Just my opinion.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Bobcats win Big Sky tournament, punch NCAA tourney ticket
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-win- ... ey-ticket/