MBB vs. SUU-Big Sky Tourney

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs. SUU-Big Sky Tourney

Post by mslacat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:37 am

Hawks86 wrote:
mslacat wrote:
bobcatfan4life wrote:I read these posts and am not at all shocked by the frustration of losing to the team the way we did. The fact that we did seem to resort back to some of the things that hurt us in the losing streak. It sucks to lose but it is a game. It isn't life or death and these guys play their hearts out for us every single time they get on the floor. As angry and such that some of you are, IT IS JUST A GAME! It is not the end of the world and these guys will come back next year and be better, they will learn from it. I am not happy about it either but I am proud of the way this team came back from that losing streak, it didn't end how anyone wanted it to but not gonna stop supporting them and the coaches. I am not gonna turn and say the coaches are awful and such.

Lets move on. These guys fought back out of a hole and they gave their all in that game. It is so interesting to me when things are going good how no one can do any wrong and now it is back to this is a terrible team, terrible coaches and we are in for a long season next year.
Just like Huse did!! Hey we made the conference playoff that is what matters and I am satisfied with that. Losing in the first round is the Bobcat way! We play the game for participation trophies!
You're going from one extreme to the other. I don't think the coaches and players are satisfied with the way things ended.
You are right I was being sarcastic. Listen I love the players who are in the program! Fish has done a pretty good job of getting highly talented players who are also great student and great members of our community, but this team is out of balance forcing players to play/guard positions the are not suited to playing. I am also not arguing for Fishes replacement, although I do see something with his style that are beginning to bother me. As of right now in his third year of building a program I definitely see progress as a team getting better, but I still do not see ANY traits of a winning program. Like I have said over and over and over I was burned by Huse but I am no longer taking anything for granted. I want results not optimism. I am not even saying we have to be in the conference championship hunt every year but we should be a laughing stock either. More importantly I am tired of being embarrassed by Montana State Basketball.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:47 am

We all want the same thing. We just say it in different ways.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:15 pm

I was only able to listen to parts of the game. When I looked at the box score online, I was surprised to see that Osayande only played two minutes. Does anyone know why? Was he sick or perhaps injured?

On a separate note, when did the Bozeman Chronicle stop including the box score with its stories about Bobcat men and women's basketball games? I think that is a stupid decision.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:15 pm

[quote="catscat"]
In order to shoot the ball, someone would have had to throw it to him. He was often out on the left wing/corner while the ball was passed all over the right side and then someone else took a shot or drove the lane. He didn't have the ball all that much in the first half. Even in the second half, some of the shots he took looked to me like "I'd better shoot this because I might not see the ball again" shots. Haven't seen many games this year, but in the ones the Cats won handily, it seemed Hall drove into the lane and drew fouls in waning minutes. Didn't do that in this game. Most likely because he didn't have the ball.[/quote]

This is a good post, but if this team/coach doesn't recognize who it's best shooter(s) is and they haven't figured out a way to get that player involved, then that would be a major problem. The same can be said for the best ball-handlers, best defenders, best rebounders.

What you said about Hall being on the left wing/corner and the ball being passed right consistently is what happens in grade school ball. In other words it due to immaturity (jealousy/selfishness). It bothers me to hear that the team wasn't getting the ball to Hall. I hope there's a logical explanation for that.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:53 pm

duelalumnicat wrote: On a separate note, when did the Bozeman Chronicle stop including the box score with its stories about Bobcat men and women's basketball games? I think that is a stupid decision.
It's been several years now. Probably when they raised the price, got lazy, and discarded Colter.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 pm

mslacat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
mslacat wrote:
bobcatfan4life wrote:I read these posts and am not at all shocked by the frustration of losing to the team the way we did. The fact that we did seem to resort back to some of the things that hurt us in the losing streak. It sucks to lose but it is a game. It isn't life or death and these guys play their hearts out for us every single time they get on the floor. As angry and such that some of you are, IT IS JUST A GAME! It is not the end of the world and these guys will come back next year and be better, they will learn from it. I am not happy about it either but I am proud of the way this team came back from that losing streak, it didn't end how anyone wanted it to but not gonna stop supporting them and the coaches. I am not gonna turn and say the coaches are awful and such.

Lets move on. These guys fought back out of a hole and they gave their all in that game. It is so interesting to me when things are going good how no one can do any wrong and now it is back to this is a terrible team, terrible coaches and we are in for a long season next year.
Just like Huse did!! Hey we made the conference playoff that is what matters and I am satisfied with that. Losing in the first round is the Bobcat way! We play the game for participation trophies!
You're going from one extreme to the other. I don't think the coaches and players are satisfied with the way things ended.
You are right I was being sarcastic. Listen I love the players who are in the program! Fish has done a pretty good job of getting highly talented players who are also great student and great members of our community, but this team is out of balance forcing players to play/guard positions the are not suited to playing. I am also not arguing for Fishes replacement, although I do see something with his style that are beginning to bother me. As of right now in his third year of building a program I definitely see progress as a team getting better, but I still do not see ANY traits of a winning program. Like I have said over and over and over I was burned by Huse but I am no longer taking anything for granted. I want results not optimism. I am not even saying we have to be in the conference championship hunt every year but we should be a laughing stock either. More importantly I am tired of being embarrassed by Montana State Basketball.
Dude, you need a serious reality check. No traits of a winning program. How about the fact that they won 11 conference games while starting a freshman and 3 sophomores? When a coach takes over in April, the first year is basically a washout for recruiting. They were able to get Zach Green, who has a been a solid contributor ... good get late. Year two they bring in a guy who was Freshman of the Year and followed that up by being First Team All-Conference as a sophomore. Could end up being the all-time leading scorer. Year 3, you bring in another Freshman of the Year. In a lower tier D1 conference, you typically don't get freshmen big kids that come in ready to play. After missing on JUCO bigs, this year, the program brought in a project who could end up being a really good player in Kirby, while supplementing that with Benson O., who showed flashed and hopefully next year, in year two will be more consistent while Kirby continues to develop and the big freshman works his way into the program. Meanwhile, you play small because you want to get your best players on the floor. That's what good programs do, they develop. Next year, the Bobcats are going to be dressing at least 4 new players that will add a lot to the roster ... another step forward.
Look, I get how disappointing losing to Southern Utah was and I'm guessing there a players and coaches are more disappointed than us fans. However, to not acknowledge the progress made from year 2 to year 3 is either being shortsighted or willfully ignorant. This team didn't under achieve, they out performed all the predictions. First win over Montana in how many years? First sellout in how many years? You don't want to be a laughing stock? Good, this year's team certainly wasn't. Tired of being embarrassed by MSU basketball? Great ... you have a program that you shouldn't be embarrassed about in the least. Mission accomplished.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 pm

phantom wrote:
mslacat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
mslacat wrote:

Dude, you need a serious reality check. No traits of a winning program. How about the fact that they won 11 conference games while starting a freshman and 3 sophomores? When a coach takes over in April, the first year is basically a washout for recruiting. They were able to get Zach Green, who has a been a solid contributor ... good get late. Year two they bring in a guy who was Freshman of the Year and followed that up by being First Team All-Conference as a sophomore. Could end up being the all-time leading scorer. Year 3, you bring in another Freshman of the Year. In a lower tier D1 conference, you typically don't get freshmen big kids that come in ready to play. After missing on JUCO bigs, this year, the program brought in a project who could end up being a really good player in Kirby, while supplementing that with Benson O., who showed flashed and hopefully next year, in year two will be more consistent while Kirby continues to develop and the big freshman works his way into the program. Meanwhile, you play small because you want to get your best players on the floor. That's what good programs do, they develop. Next year, the Bobcats are going to be dressing at least 4 new players that will add a lot to the roster ... another step forward.
Look, I get how disappointing losing to Southern Utah was and I'm guessing there a players and coaches are more disappointed than us fans. However, to not acknowledge the progress made from year 2 to year 3 is either being shortsighted or willfully ignorant. This team didn't under achieve, they out performed all the predictions. First win over Montana in how many years? First sellout in how many years? You don't want to be a laughing stock? Good, this year's team certainly wasn't. Tired of being embarrassed by MSU basketball? Great ... you have a program that you shouldn't be embarrassed about in the least. Mission accomplished.
Great post!
I believe this team will be another step better next year.
mslacat is frustrated and there is a very real basis in history for that. He maybe should have stayed off the keyboard for another day or two but I've no doubt that he will continue to be one of the best fans Bobcat basketball has.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:40 pm

Losing to SUU is pretty embarrassing though

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:32 am

Good post Phantom.

Progress is seldom graphed as a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:37 am

Phantom nailed it and I agree with Belgrade. The loss to SUU doesn't define this club. For once February was really great and we did it without a legit big man. I would disagree with mslacat at the moment- he sounds like a guy whose girlfriend just broke up with him.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:41 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Losing to SUU is pretty embarrassing though
To me, it wasn't embarrassing, but it was disappointing and rage inducing. Lol. Regardless, it certainly isn't the defining moment of the season and certainly doesn't define where the program is in relation to the end of the Huse era.