MBB vs Sac St.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

MBB vs Sac St.

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Boys are up 23-17 with 3:57 left in the first half. Devin Kirby has been getting some good minutes and he has had some really good possessions on offense in the first half. Defense will get better as he gets stronger. But I'm encouraged with what I've seen on the offensive end.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs Sac St.

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:39 pm

#44 for Sac State is a horse down low.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:56 pm

We're up 28-25 at halftime. Has been a pretty rough game on the offensive end for both teams. MSU is having some problems with the Hornets 2-3 zone along with Sac's length and size. We just aren't getting a ton of good looks offensively but at least we are knocking down the open ones for the most part.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Refs are definitely letting them play today. Been a very physical game but we're going blow for blow. Up 44-39 with 9:19 to go.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Up 58-50 with 3:49 to go. Sac is in "jacking up threes" mode.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Then Sac makes a shot, Hall turns it over for a layup on the inbounds, and it is 58-54. MSU ball after the timeout with 2:38 to go. Here we go again.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:53 pm

We are up by 3 with 6.7 seconds left. Sac will have a chance. Justin Strings is on fire right now so he definitely can't touch the ball on this possession. Foul at the half court line please.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:56 pm

We win 62-59! Strings does not touch the ball but Sac got a good look in the corner. It goes long and Sac couldn't get another one off. Huge weekend sweep for the Cats with the Griz coming to town next week.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Nice! Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:06 pm

We've won 8 of the last 10. When's the last time you could say that in the middle of February.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:07 pm

More and more I find this team being just that, a TEAM! Nice to see guys relying on their teammates which is leading to more complete engagement by everyone.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Nice win for the Cats. I wish they could put away a few teams and not let them get back into it. But, as the saying goes...a win is a win. This team is very competitive and could beat anyone in the conference. Hope they stay hot for the tournament.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Great job today by the Cats - would have been over sooner had Strings for Sac State not turned into Steph Curry in the last few minutes after Sac had trouble making anything from the outside all day. That has to be a career high for Sam Neumann with 17 - he was clutch today in a game where Frey was kept quiet. Several key baskets and did as good a job as you could ask down low against Sac State's much bigger players. MSU only got outrebounded by 6, which is probably a victory against a team that big inside. Nice to see Quadre Lollis and the rest of the Hall of Fame class at halftime! Next up, can MSU keep the home magic going against a team they haven't beaten since...well s*$&, since a long time ago.

MVP award for the game goes to the PA announcer for consistently nailing the pronounciation of Izayah Mauriohoohoo-Le'Afa of Sac State.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:39 pm

As someone said above, these guys have become a team. Everyone seems to have accepted and even embraced their roles, and they look to be heading toward peaking at the right time. We have yet another chance to throw the dark pink monkey off our back next week. We'll be driving down for it, let's go!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Great team win. Best team win I've seen out of a Fish team. Great, great job!
Sac State is a legit, big strong team. I'm not sure why their record isn't better, but I can see why they beat Weber State and swept Montana. I remember Stutville, their big center, coming in here and basically being a stiff. He'd collect his five fouls and then sit on the bench. But has obviously worked his tail off, listened to his coaches, and developed into a great Big Sky center. Basically when he got it down low, we'd beat the heck out of him, but he would usually score anyway. The moral of the story: It takes big guys a while. Coaches and fans have to be patient. Devon Kirby showed today why we don't want to give up on him. He did a great job and it was nice to have a tall guy in there doing some stuff.
Better execution at the end, but still not where we need to be. But it was good practice I guess.
Tyler Hall is starting to do his best Magic Johnson impression. He had some terrific passes today, and his teammates, mostly Neumann, finished them.
Frey is no longer a secret. They were on him tight, but that opened up some other stuff.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:44 pm

One of the sweetest plays I"ve seen in years was Tyler driving in for what was going to be a heavily contested layup and while in the air dropped a no look pass to Neuman who was standing behind him who laid it in!! These guys play more TEAM ball than any team in years, a sign of EXCELLENT coaching! !7 for 19 from the line today,7 turnovers and 14 assists, one heck of an effort against a far bigger, stronger team that really plays a physical brand of basketball. Great game.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:19 pm

desmond1957 wrote:One of the sweetest plays I"ve seen in years was Tyler driving in for what was going to be a heavily contested layup and while in the air dropped a no look pass to Neuman who was standing behind him who laid it in!! These guys play more TEAM ball than any team in years, a sign of EXCELLENT coaching! !7 for 19 from the line today,7 turnovers and 14 assists, one heck of an effort against a far bigger, stronger team that really plays a physical brand of basketball. Great game.
That was a great play, and a winning play by Tyler in that situation. Getting him to trust his teammates more all year long has been a great coaching job by this staff. Fish and his staff can coach, and recruit, there is no doubt about that. We get great offensive looks after almost every timeout. I'm not sure of Fish's ability to coach and improve our defense. Maybe he can, and it's more a function of personnel, but we don't defend and rebound yet with any consistency. I did like the effort on the defensive end better today though; that's a legit team we beat. As I said up-thread, if we can get that giant dark pink monkey off our back next week, I believe we'll be a dangerous team headed into Reno. Hope we can pack the joint next week and run them out of town.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Neumann, ‘Cats out-muscle Sac State for fifth straight home win
http://skylinesportsmt.com/neumann-cats ... sac-state/

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:We've won 8 of the last 10. When's the last time you could say that in the middle of February.
Honestly, probably back to the Zamora, Carlos Taylor days. And even then I'm not too sure.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BlackhawkCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlackhawkCat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:10 am

Coach Fish has his team peaking at the correct time. What a great time of the year to be playing and winning games. Thanks Coach Fish, assistants and players! Cats are Back!