MBB@ Portland State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB@ Portland State

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:02 am

SACCAT wrote:I think every AA school in Montana has a bigger gym than PSU...Embarrassing.
....and that's their new multi million dollar arena!

2024 Resume dominance

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:18 am

Helcat72 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:I think every AA school in Montana has a bigger gym than PSU...Embarrassing.
I don't think so. The new arena won't be ready until the winter of 2018: http://www.psuf.org/under-construction- ... tott-field
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blo ... gs.html#g8

When PSU has a decent facility to recruit to, they're going to be really tough.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:09 am

kmax wrote:
Well every AA level (and probably some A level) junior high gyms are bigger than Sac States so it's not like PSU is the low man here.
Portland State has started construction on the "Viking Pavilion" which is going to be a "palace." It will seat 3-4k for basketball with one wall made entirely of glass overlooking the Park blocks. It's going to be super cool and a good recruiting tool. The current gym, is just that...a gym and looks and feels "high school."

I was at both PSU games this week...Thursday against the Griz, PSU shot the lights out and looked tough as nails. I didn't think the Cats had much of a chance. I have to say, the Cats played hard and made some clutch shots. Osayande made a good contribution around the basket. I was also impressed with Frey...that kid can handle the ball. I didn't realize they even played basketball in Norway. What a great pickup. Hats off to Fish and the boys....finish strong!! T

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:46 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
I don't think so. The new arena won't be ready until the winter of 2018: http://www.psuf.org/under-construction- ... tott-field
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blo ... gs.html#g8

When PSU has a decent facility to recruit to, they're going to be really tough.
I just assumed that because of some of the improvements like the big screen they have in it

2024 Resume dominance

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Just watched to replay on Big Sky TV. For a while Fish had Neumann, Green, and Osayande in there at the same time along with Hall and Frey. That lineup really rebounded the heck out of the ball.
Klines had a little mini-run of 5 points that got us the lead for good. The PSU announcer was a little exasperated as Klines is a 24% three point shooter and a 50% free throw shooter, yet he made everything he shot in that second half and got us 10 big points. We need those guys with relatively fresh legs in the second game of a road trip to do something-and Klines really showed up last night in that second half.
Frey's drive that stopped their run and put it away for us was a really tough shot. He had a taller guy right on him, but the guy was trying not foul him and Frey was able to get the shot over him. It was so clutch.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:44 pm

What a win! Every single guy that played contributed. I feel as if every game we play, the guys are getting more and more comfortable with each other.

Hall had a double-double...22 points, 10 rebounds. Great game by him. Klines as BelgradeBobcat mentioned hit some huge threes for us and hit his free throws in crunch time. He played a great game. Osayande is definitely more comfortable, 9 rebounds and 10 points it is great to see the contributions he is making. Sam as always, does the little things, he didnt have as many points but rebounded well and always plays hard. Q as always did great defensively...he didnt score as much but he plays hard coming off the bench. Kirby didn't play much it didnt seem like as the others were playing great.Frey hit some crazy shots, no threes but still contributed in a big way. That was great to see. Joe didn't play much in this game, didnt score but played good defense. Green played a great game. He seems to be coming out of that slump he was in, he rebounded and was tough out there.

The toughness of this team is really starting to show through. I love how hard these guys play and even when Portland State made their run they still played tough and hard and Frey and Klines made some clutch shots and free throws in the end. Defense is improving. They are really working on that end of the court and offensively, we may have not been on tonight but we still had 4 people in double figures to see and the rebounding numbers were really good. This was a great week for the team, two wins on the road.